Sierra 1500 and 2500 payload?

Was about to purchase a tundra but the trucks payload is pretty.... disappointing. 

2020 4wd crew max is about 1175lbs but they do adhere to the J2807 spec: 300/lbs for passengers and 70 for the hitch. Still, It's notmuch. 

Anyway, looking at the 2020 Sierra 1500, crew cab, 6.2 diesel, short bed in 4wd. This would be a our main family vehicle. 

We would be towing a travel trailer with about 6500-7000 dry weight and 28'ish long. 

Seeing what the averagish payload is along with if anything is included in the #.  

From research, gmc does comply with the towing standard, J2807!  This makes the tow specs real world by accounting for 2x150 humans and a 70 hitch.

Thanks everyone

Edited by imperialhipster

13 hours ago, imperialhipster said:

Was about to purchase a tundra but the trucks payload is pretty.... disappointing. 

2020 4wd crew max is about 1175lbs but they do adhere to the J2807 spec: 300/lbs for passengers and 70 for the hitch. Still, It's notmuch. 

Anyway, looking at the 2020 Sierra 1500, crew cab, 6.2 diesel, short bed in 4wd. This would be a our main family vehicle. 

We would be towing a travel trailer with about 6500-7000 dry weight and 28'ish long. 

Seeing what the averagish payload is along with if anything is included in the #.  

From research, gmc does comply with the towing standard, J2807!  This makes the tow specs real world by accounting for 2x150 humans and a 70 hitch.

Thanks everyone

Honestly...I'm lost.  

Are you looking at two different 1500 trucks?  Or are you trying to compare a 1500 to a 2500?  

38 minutes ago, newdude said:

Honestly...I'm lost.  

Are you looking at two different 1500 trucks?  Or are you trying to compare a 1500 to a 2500?  

Was looking at the 2500. Did I mess something up ?. Just seeing what the norm is for the 1500 with the diesel engine and 4x4. Apologies

14 hours ago, imperialhipster said:

Thanks everyone

J2807 deals with max tow rating.  It has nothing to do with payload capacity.  That 1175 lbs of payload capacity does not include the driver, passengers, hitch or anything else.  Toyota is notorious for low payload capacity.  When you consider that 1175 lbs, it has to include you, your family, the dog, all your gear in the truck, the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer.  A truck with a payload capacity of 1175 will be grossly overloaded pulling a trailer that will be probably 8000 lbs or more when loaded.  An 8000+ lb trailer will have a tongue weight that alone will use up most of that 1175 lb payload capacity.  If you got a 1500 with the 6.2L and max trailering package, you might just squeeze in under all the different weight limits you need to be considering.  And forget about the 3.0 diesel.  You'll be way over gross, as there is no max trailering package available with that engine.  But in all honesty, with that kind of a trailer, I'd be considering a 2500.  It would make for a much more enjoyable drive and your knuckles won't get all white.     

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, imperialhipster said:

Was looking at the 2500. Did I mess something up ?. Just seeing what the norm is for the 1500 with the diesel engine and 4x4. Apologies

Nah you are good I failed to see that at first you were talking about a Tundra LOL.

Max Trailer 1500, you are probably going to be in the 1800-2000lbs payload rating.  This will depend on cab config/wheelbase. 

ALWAYS check the door jamb sticker for tow rating.  That new label GM did was the smartest thing they added.  The payload on that sticker is the ACTUAL payload for that truck as configured. 

For example, the GM spec sheet shows a 6.2 with NHT max trailer, double cab 4x4 is 2070lbs payload.  We have a 2020 on the lot, SLT trim, its actually 1872lbs. 

The tow rating will be between 11,000-12,100lbs. 

3.0 diesel.  For what you are aiming at, I'd stay away only because you will run the risk of overload really quick.  Payload is in the 1500-1800lbs range, towing is maxed at 9100lbs.  Say as optioned you are at 1650lbs payload.  Two people, there goes 400lbs, add on 800lbs tongue weight, you aren't left with much.   

7000lbs dry trailer is what you are looking at, I would be curious as to the GVWR of the trailer, then shop for a truck that can handle about 2000lbs or more beyond that number.  So possilbly a Max Trailer 1500, a 2500 would be even safer for sure.  Payloads on those are 2900-3900lbs depending on gas/diesel and cab.  Tow ratings are well beyond a max trailer 1500 too, as are the brakes, frame, cooling and suspension.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, imperialhipster said:

5 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

But in all honesty, with that kind of a trailer, I'd be considering a 2500.  It would make for a much more enjoyable drive and your knuckles won't get all white.     

I'm with Erik. I don't care if you manage to come in just under the rear axle weight rating. Towing that size of a trailer any significant distance with a 1500 will not be fun in anything but ideal conditions. Maybe if you only plan to tow it twice a year to the lake in next county over, that's much easier and you won't have many issues. But if you plan to tow 1000's of miles, get enough truck for the job. Brakes and ability to handle in the wind are more important IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aseibel said:

I'm with Erik. I don't care if you manage to come in just under the rear axle weight rating. Towing that size of a trailer any significant distance with a 1500 will not be fun in anything but ideal conditions. Maybe if you only plan to tow it twice a year to the lake in next county over, that's much easier and you won't have many issues. But if you plan to tow 1000's of miles, get enough truck for the job. Brakes and ability to handle in the wind are more important IMO.

I tow a 6000 pound, 25' travel trailer multiple times a month without issue.   Not effected by the wind anymore than the 2500 before it.  

14 minutes ago, bshort said:

I tow a 6000 pound, 25' travel trailer multiple times a month without issue.   Not effected by the wind anymore than the 2500 before it.  

OK, so based on that, the OP should be fine, I guess.

I still wouldn't do it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aseibel said:

OK, so based on that, the OP should be fine, I guess.

I still wouldn't do it.

Not everyone needs a diesel dually to haul a riding lawn mower....to be safe and all.  

• Like 1