Ordered a 2020 Chevy Silverado

mcgee500

Last Monday  2-24-2020 ordered a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado Z71  LTZ double cab. I was told 3 different times not to expect it for 8-10 weeks. I got an e-mail today the 29th stating a build date of 3-16-2020 and seeing the dealer is only 300 miles from Ft Wayne I just can't see any 8-10 weeks or am I missing something here????? 

I guess I should get in touch with my dealer! I ordered on 1/27 and was thinking middle to late March at the earliest. I'm in Chicago. I haven't heard anything so I guess I should check.

Edited by Whipped500

What I was told when I ordered it. Something like we have allocations but be transferred your truck to a truck we had already ordered. Does that sound right? Off the lot is easier but how I set my truck up they could not find an exact match anywhere and I hate paying for a truck I don't like.

11 hours ago, snork said:

you're getting one thats made in Mexico, expect delivery April 1

Hopefully you can explain your reasoning for thinking or knowing this.   I ordered a 1500 AT4 with a standard bed  Dec 10th.  Truck was built end of January and sat entire month of February. Nobody can give me a idea of when truck will be shipped other than its bayed and awaiting shipment. 

Edited by FloridaFarmer

Went through same last year. Ordered early May, TPW was 5/20, truck left factory early June to then be stuck somewhere between Silao and Fremont CA. After escalating a few times truck finally shows up on dealer lot 7/5. I asked dealer not to wash it and when I got there I could tell it was sitting somewhere very, very dirty for a loooong time. Apparently the dealer ended up having it towed from the rail yard in Fremont to their dealership 40 miles away, otherwise its likely it would’ve been sitting there for another month until transport was available. It seems that if you’re not calling and complaining they put you at the end of the line.

3 hours ago, tinbad said:

Went through same last year. Ordered early May, TPW was 5/20, truck left factory early June to then be stuck somewhere between Silao and Fremont CA. After escalating a few times truck finally shows up on dealer lot 7/5. I asked dealer not to wash it and when I got there I could tell it was sitting somewhere very, very dirty for a loooong time. Apparently the dealer ended up having it towed from the rail yard in Fremont to their dealership 40 miles away, otherwise its likely it would’ve been sitting there for another month until transport was available. It seems that if you’re not calling and complaining they put you at the end of the line.

Because they have nothing to lose by making you wait.......it may even be to their advantage.  Unlike vehicles already on the lot, no cost to them, they are not making interest payments on stock until it hits the lot.

So they are in no rush. Might even be in their interest to delay pickup into lot inventory because the sale is not completed until seller makes payment and it's taillights down the road. Why take delivery in a slow month if they know they won't reach quote and thus not receive the hold back cash, when they can delay the sale for the next month and use to boost their numbers for the next month with a better chance of getting the hold back cash for all the vehicles in that model/month and maybe get extra incentives for total sales in that month. And if making a trade you had better check the sales agreement on condition and value of the trade at the time of delivery, each passing month, and additional dent, scrape and mileage make the trade worth less, adding to the cost of the new one.

When you buy a vehicle, you're playing against a rigged deck so don't play poker, play chess. That's why when ordering a new vehicle, you can never get the same deal as you would on an existing vehicle already in inventory.....and another dealer's inventory doesn't qualify either because they cannot claim the holdback for a vehicle retrieved from a competitor...... and you want part of that holdback to lower the price. I always work out deals both ways working a deal to order one that I equipped out which I already know that they do not have in stock via checking Internet inventory plus looking in their main lot and reserve lot, and picking one or two that will meet my needs.......then test ride a number of them including the one I or two I would really like. Always end up getting one I liked and usually with a lot of extra crap than the exact one I said that I originally wanted to order. Then it's crying time, saying I'm willing to make a personal sacrifice and settle for one in the lot and use it as a bargaining chip to pay little or nothing for the extra crap over the one that I originally priced out to order.

Sometimes takes a few days and visits to dealers, but I love car shopping and test riding..... something to do in retirement and get plenty of free coffee and donuts and bull$hit with salesman. And always worth it in the end....last one $42000 flat for a $56.5K RST ($12K plus a $30K trade on a '16 LT) and that included everything including tax differential, tags, etc - taillights down the road - plus a month later I get a check from the dealer for $10 refund credit on existing tags. Buying them is almost as much fun as driving them!

You’re pretty spot on about dealer incentives not being aligned with the buyers. Trade-ins, finance, accessories/warranties and used cars is where they make the most money and I try to avoid that. I’m lucky to have 20 or so Chevy dealerships within ~50 mile Radius and I emailed all of them once I knew the truck I wanted (which was nearly impossible to find on lot given I wanted a fully loaded TB with standard bed). The test driving, negotiating and playing dealers off each other is definitely part of the fun, if you have the time. I ended up ordering from the one who would offer me the lowest price below invoice (excluding any manufacturer rebates going on at time of delivery). It was a lot easier since it was an all cash deal with no trade or financing through them (I brought my own credit union). They even tried to pull a fast one on me when time came to pick up the truck. The sales person I was working with was off that day so I dealt with the manager, he gave me a higher price by about $1500.  I came in expecting them trying to play some tricks so had the email already opened on my phone. He looked at it and quietly went back to the office and came back with the correct price. With rebates going on at the time, I ended up getting 20% off MSRP before TTL. Not bad for a custom order and I have exactly the truck I want. Then the warranty problems started (leaky window, rattles) but still happy with it for the most part just wished I had waited a model year or two... oh well, that’s when the shopping will start again haha