L83 All motor build

Looking for guidance for my 2018 Silverado with the L83 motor. I don’t wanna go forced induction so what can I do besides a cam and ported heads to get the most horsepower out of my engine. And what other supporting mods like intake and fuel injectors if I would need. 

7 hours ago, Kuuups said:

Looking for guidance for my 2018 Silverado with the L83 motor. I don’t wanna go forced induction so what can I do besides a cam and ported heads to get the most horsepower out of my engine. And what other supporting mods like intake and fuel injectors if I would need. 

I wouldn’t go cam

Cam is engine out

and if you’re doing cam and forced induction, you’re going to make enough power to need lt4 fueling and a built shortblock

in which case you will have built your entire motor, and you probably would have been better off just buying a 416 long block

edit:oh shoot you said you don’t want to go supercharger!

are you sure? A built NA motor without increasing displacement will shift the power band to the top end. That’s great on a sports car, but less than desirable on a truck.

there’s a reason we all go supercharger

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

search forum for slow1500, he did all the turbo stuff.

best cam is BTR truck torque cam either stage 1 or 2,  6.2 intake manifold, 70 size turbo.  you'll have to gap the piston rings if your pushing over 8 psi.   the LSA SC seems like a lot of monkey motion for boost, but it has a great torque curve.

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

You can for sure.  Myself, I grabbed an L86 that tried to eat itself and am stroking it to a 6.6 using the L8T's pistons and crankshaft.  The only waiting is for GM to release the crank for sale... and it's cheap too which is nice for a forged piece.  Cam, intake, headers, compression increase and 401 cubes should do quite nicely.  Staying at 325 cubes you are better off with boost.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

Pick a cam, then pick the correct stall converter for that camshaft.

Add a E85 sensor. Do your head work, headers, intake upgrades and see where you stand. It's possible you'll need LT4 injectors for the extra fuel requirements but you'll just have to see. Regular pump gas would let you take the stock injectors farther than E85 would.

• Like 1

I wouldn't waste my time with a 5.3. I'm in the same boat as you and looking for a L86 now.

Look around you can get an L86 for around 2500 now on offer up and if you look enough in the right places.

Swap in a L86 with cam (you'll then already have the coveted l86 intake) and sell your L83 for 1000-1500

Whole lot of gain going that route for little money. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

2ed49648ccd01afb9340d94538bdce4d.jpg
You sure you don’t wanna go supercharged 480hp in one mod lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I just want to see how much I can make before even thinking of forced induction. 

wonder if the longer connecting rod from the new 6.6L motor would drop into the 6.2L motor??  I like the increase in crank dwell time.. ???

any chance  GM offers the 6.6L in a crate short block?

Edited by flyingfool

the new motor has a 6mm longer powdered forged con rod

you dont understand the idea of increased rod length, wich reduces piston speed and increased crank dwell at tdc and btdc

6.6L is a "detuned" 400hp/400ftlbs

Edited by flyingfool

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

the new motor has a 6mm longer powdered forged con rod

you dont understand the idea of increased rod length, wich reduces piston speed and increased crank dwell at tdc and btdc

6.6L is a "detuned" 400hp/400ftlbs

Considering I have connecting rod in my possession for a 6.6 that I ordered from the dealer yes I do know what I am talking about thanks.  Do you?  No.. you don't.  rps20200224_113358.thumb.jpg.756655a942f912f6fe7af12cbd692226.jpgrps20200224_113323.thumb.jpg.e9e9f3d83fa93de54821e02ecb64816a.jpg

You can manipulate rod length but in this case its piston pin height.  Center to center on that rod and an LQ4 rod are identical.  Gm is cheap and does things as cost effective as possible... it's a stroked 6.2 and that's all there is too it.  401 hp and 464 lb ft with a timing curve allowing use of 87 fuel means severely detuned...

Edited by SierraHD17