GMC Paint Questions

ero2

Looks like I'll be picking up a black Sierra elevation tomorrow.  2 quick questions:

1.). There's a decent scratch that will not buff out on the outside bed panel.  I know, I know, it's a truck, but it's brand new, and I like to keep things nice as long as possible.  Would you have them repaint it?  I swore I would never have another black vehicle, but...black on black...it just looks so awesome!

2.). I have a painted bumper on the F150 I'm trading in and they are known to chip super easily in the Ford world, which then exposes the steel bumper and starts to rust.  Will I run into that as easily with the elevation?  Will I regret a painted bumper?

Thanks for all the insight so far!

Just take it straight in and have Xpel or other chip protection put on it... the detail shop that does that *should* be able to address the scratch while it's in there and if you can swing it put on a ceramic coating.

I had a black 2011 in the worst conditions imaginable here in Alaska and it looked amazing the day I sold it since I was proactive and protected it. If you don't put on paint protection film you WILL regret it... the new finishes are incredibly soft and will look like crap before too long.

Bumper will probably chip. They do in cars but cars have plastic bumper that won’t rust. 

However I would not take delivery of a brand new truck that has a scratch in it. I would make them fix it to your satisfaction and then sign papers. Whether that’s a repaint, buff and wax or even a completely new vehicle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cheyenne383 said:

Just take it straight in and have Xpel or other chip protection put on it... the detail shop that does that *should* be able to address the scratch while it's in there and if you can swing it put on a ceramic coating.

I had a black 2011 in the worst conditions imaginable here in Alaska and it looked amazing the day I sold it since I was proactive and protected it. If you don't put on paint protection film you WILL regret it... the new finishes are incredibly soft and will look like crap before too long.

How much of the truck do you protect?  Are you talking like 3m or ceramic coating?  I know 3m is pretty costly and has to be redone every few years?

thanks for the recommendation, if it worked in Alaska, should be what I want to do here!

3 hours ago, ero2 said:

How much of the truck do you protect?  Are you talking like 3m or ceramic coating?  I know 3m is pretty costly and has to be redone every few years?

thanks for the recommendation, if it worked in Alaska, should be what I want to do here!

The 3m chip guard film and Xpel film are essentially the same thing. They are a clear film that sticks on to the vehicle and protects the paint/clear from chipping, the newest stuff is pretty robust and should outlast 5-7 years I would think. I would do this anywhere that faces forward... installers can make specific recommendations based on their experience but painted bumpers and grilles, fronts of hoods, A pillars, mirror caps, and rocker panels are pretty typical... basically where ever your budget will take you.

The ceramic coating is an extra step, once again where your budget will take you... this lasts 3-10 year depending on the installer's package, the prep work, and the number of coats. The product itself isn't terribly expensive but the application can be a challenge so the packages typically aren't cheap... They do typically include a decontamination and buff which on a new black truck will make it look amazing. It also wicks moisture away easily, I would just spray off my 2011 and unless it was extremely dirty all I needed to do was dry it... another note it I use a leaf blower to dry the truck so it doesn't get scratched by the drying towel.

Here's a couple pics of the truck, the top one was about at it's worse on a 400 mile round trip down a gravel road... the ceramic coating doesn't let much stick to the truck. The second was a clean shot... black looks so good when it's clean!

0727121527.jpg

0728121724a.jpg