GMC killed the 8 speed....

21 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Chevy still shows 8 speed, GMC 4x4 (not sure why you ever buy a 2wd truck...) 

Because south of the Mason Dixon unless you off road it is a pretty much useless feature that just adds a sizeable amount of cost to something that won't get used, won't return value and possibly a large ding in repair if something fails on top of the added insurance, maintenance, financing and mpg hit. 

Tyler

23 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Because south of the Mason Dixon unless you off road it is a pretty much useless feature that just adds a sizeable amount of cost to something that won't get used, won't return value and possibly a large ding in repair if something fails on top of the added insurance, maintenance, financing and mpg hit. 

Tyler

This was my reasoning as well.  I don't really care if others think it is "less" of a truck either.  I bought it for how I planned on using it.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 8:32 AM, TeamSaris said:

I like my 8 speed. But that's still a kick in the shorts being it's just one year later. Few years from now when people are buying these trucks used nobody will want the 8speed trucks. I doubt they're about to put me in a 20 with a 10spd with the same payment either. Sheesh.

The 8 speed has been a problem for many years now. The previous gen trucks have the crappy 8 speed as well. The used car lots are not filling up with them the best I can tell.

49 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

Is this the same 8 speed that has a lawsuit against it?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/lawsuit-alleges-gm-transmission-problems-known-since-2014/amp/

I don’t have any issues with my 2019 RST except on a cold mornings, I have hard 1-2 and slip to 3 but 10 min warm up and it’s smooth all day.  My build date is 02/19 so I don’t have the new Mobil ATF.  

I wonder if the 10 speed has a similar issues when left under 32f overnight? (Maybe a question for another post).  

FOR the last TIME!  IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO THAT AFTER EVERY COLD SOAK!  IT HEATS THE FLUID QUICKER!

Is this the same 8 speed that has a lawsuit against it?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/lawsuit-alleges-gm-transmission-problems-known-since-2014/amp/

I don’t have any issues with my 2019 RST except on a cold mornings, I have hard 1-2 and slip to 3 but 10 min warm up and it’s smooth all day.  My build date is 02/19 so I don’t have the new Mobil ATF.  

I wonder if the 10 speed has a similar issues when left under 32f overnight? (Maybe a question for another post).  
My 8 speed had the 1-2 cold clunk on first shift so bad it felt like you were rear ended. 10 speed has been damn near flawless warm or cold. No clunks cold or decelerating. I drove probably half a dozen different 19s with 8 speed loaners while mine was in shop for 2 months with the window leak. I will say a few were very smooth and a few were clunky like mine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

FOR the last TIME!  IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO THAT AFTER EVERY COLD SOAK!  IT HEATS THE FLUID QUICKER!

It's supposed to slam into 2nd gear with a violent bang simulating a rear end collision to help warm the fluid??

I just warm mine for a few min like silveradorst said and it's fine. I want to test drive this 10 speed though, sounds like butter.

• Like 1

I have the 8 speed with a cold 1-2 hard shift. I always let the RPM's come down before taking off. It still happened 90% of the time. One thing I have found on these forums is if you pause slightly after shifting into drive, its reduces it dramatically. It helped with my truck, yours may be different. I feel it going into gear with the slight pause. Jan 2019 build. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 4:56 AM, batman900 said:

It's supposed to slam into 2nd gear with a violent bang simulating a rear end collision to help warm the fluid??

I just warm mine for a few min like silveradorst said and it's fine. I want to test drive this 10 speed though, sounds like butter.

I don't believe I said, "SLAM"....Yes, it's supposed to be firm

When you sell your truck in 10 years to a high school kid, or 20-something young adult, they aren't gonna know the difference between a 8 speed auto and TH350.  They are going to look at the color, look to see if it has 4WD and that it's working properly, and make the purchase based on condition.  If you purchase a truck with your main worry being resale value, you'll never be happy.   Keep it cleaned, properly maintained and lubricated, don't beat the sh!t outta it, and it will sell just fine with a good resale value.

• Like 2