GMC killed the 8 speed....

Just happened to look at the build and price tool on the GMC website. The 8 speed has pretty much been mothballed on SLE and up trims unless you want the 2.7 turbo.

A crew cab GMC elevation with a 5.3 and 10 speed is going to be a nice seller.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like my 8 speed. But that's still a kick in the shorts being it's just one year later. Few years from now when people are buying these trucks used nobody will want the 8speed trucks. I doubt they're about to put me in a 20 with a 10spd with the same payment either. Sheesh.

Edited by TeamSaris

10 speed is limited to 4WD and 2WD diesels only.

I don’t think it’ll plunge the 8 speed values off a cliff. You figure the 8 speed was the top of the line trans from 2015-2018, and the most common trans in 2019. On the Chevy side it’s still the most common in 2020. If someone is shopping for a used truck in 3-5 years, avoiding the 8 speed is going to be pretty hard because at least half of the trucks are gonna have it.

10 speed availability always changing and usage is expanding. 

For current ordering:

MQB    Transmission, 10-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes Cruise Grade Braking and Powertrain Grade Braking
Custom TB - Included and only available with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine.
LT - Included and only available with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine.
RST, LTZ - Included and only available with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine.
HC - Included and only available with 4WD models, (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine. 

LT TB - standard

At the end of 19MY, it was much more restricted:

MQB    Transmission, 10-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes Cruise Grade Braking and Powertrain Grade Braking
LT, RST - Included and only available with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine.
LTZ, HC - Included and only available with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine. 

It was not available on other trims.

Similar availabilities  on GMC.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

10 speed is limited to 4WD and 2WD diesels only.

I don’t think it’ll plunge the 8 speed values off a cliff. You figure the 8 speed was the top of the line trans from 2015-2018, and the most common trans in 2019. On the Chevy side it’s still the most common in 2020. If someone is shopping for a used truck in 3-5 years, avoiding the 8 speed is going to be pretty hard because at least half of the trucks are gonna have it.

Given the myriad of issues,  2015-18 trucks will probably be the lowest for any type of resale value anyways.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Given the myriad of issues,  2015-18 trucks will probably be the lowest for any type of resale value anyways.

I disagree entirely. They haven't had near as many issues as many claim & they are currently holding their value quite well. If you can find one in my area, they still go for 50-70% of new.

• Like 3

Is this the same 8 speed that has a lawsuit against it?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/lawsuit-alleges-gm-transmission-problems-known-since-2014/amp/

I don’t have any issues with my 2019 RST except on a cold mornings, I have hard 1-2 and slip to 3 but 10 min warm up and it’s smooth all day.  My build date is 02/19 so I don’t have the new Mobil ATF.  

I wonder if the 10 speed has a similar issues when left under 32f overnight? (Maybe a question for another post).