Service, Recalls, and a loaner......

So I finally got around to my first "free" service with the dealer (I know some of you abhor your dealer and refuse to let them touch the truck... but lets leave that aside)...   while I was in, they are doing the 3 open recalls and I mentioned the 8speed tranny issues as well as the window leak - even giving them the TSB docs...  Service agent said it would be a stretch to finish in 1 day, but they'd give it a shot (This was on Monday)...     

First off, major shout out for the shuttle ride - they normally only go out like 15 miles, I'm more like 20 and they gave me a ride to work, which was cool.

Mid-day Monday he calls, saying they are backed up and no way they finish.. can we keep the truck overnight..  Sure, no problem.. I can handle another day.

Tuesday morning, calls and says they probably aren't going to finish today either, but they have a loaner for me if I want it... great.. need to be able to transport kids and stuff.....  Meanwhile, he explains the transmission guy has had the truck for 3+ hours and can't replicate any issues relating to 19-NA-121...  Not surprising really. The guy looking at the rear window doesn't see the normal signs of the leaky rear window (to be fair, I told them I've only seen a few streaks of water on the inside of the window during a car wash... not like others here) - so they are probably buttoning that one back up....

Driving the loaner I've been trying to determine differences between the 2 trucks... mine is 2019 SLT X31 5.3 8sp., the loaner a 2020 SLT 5.3 10sp with Max Tow.. - Obvious differences in the XM radio, few other minor changes in the dash..  but I can definitely feel the difference in the 10sp transmission... very smooth.. although I can still get it hard shift under hard uphill acceleration...    and there is clearly something different in the ride quality but I can't quite put my finger on it or describe it...   I can't really say if it is "better".. but it is different....

So now Wednesday we'll see if they finish today or not.....

2 minutes ago, Chris Callanan said:

So I finally got around to my first "free" service with the dealer (I know some of you abhor your dealer and refuse to let them touch the truck... but lets leave that aside)...   while I was in, they are doing the 3 open recalls and I mentioned the 8speed tranny issues as well as the window leak - even giving them the TSB docs...  Service agent said it would be a stretch to finish in 1 day, but they'd give it a shot (This was on Monday)...     

First off, major shout out for the shuttle ride - they normally only go out like 15 miles, I'm more like 20 and they gave me a ride to work, which was cool.

Mid-day Monday he calls, saying they are backed up and no way they finish.. can we keep the truck overnight..  Sure, no problem.. I can handle another day.

Tuesday morning, calls and says they probably aren't going to finish today either, but they have a loaner for me if I want it... great.. need to be able to transport kids and stuff.....  Meanwhile, he explains the transmission guy has had the truck for 3+ hours and can't replicate any issues relating to 19-NA-121...  Not surprising really. The guy looking at the rear window doesn't see the normal signs of the leaky rear window (to be fair, I told them I've only seen a few streaks of water on the inside of the window during a car wash... not like others here) - so they are probably buttoning that one back up....

Driving the loaner I've been trying to determine differences between the 2 trucks... mine is 2019 SLT X31 5.3 8sp., the loaner a 2020 SLT 5.3 10sp with Max Tow.. - Obvious differences in the XM radio, few other minor changes in the dash..  but I can definitely feel the difference in the 10sp transmission... very smooth.. although I can still get it hard shift under hard uphill acceleration...    and there is clearly something different in the ride quality but I can't quite put my finger on it or describe it...   I can't really say if it is "better".. but it is different....

So now Wednesday we'll see if they finish today or not.....

They re-tuned the suspension for the 20 model year vs. the 19's. Most have stated a more firmly planted feeling as the rancos on the 19's and ones on my 14 are absolutely terrible. They should go back to installing bilsteins but that would make too much sense.

The rear end ratio is different as well on The Heavy Tow loaner as well.  I was scared to get an NHT truck because of the ride but I find it a huge improvement over my 14 All Terrain and both have 20” wheels.  The loaded ride is superb and very stable.

So they finished up on Wednesday--   

They did find a leak in the rear window, performed the TSB with new adhesive ...  we'll see if it hold up. They did tell me not to wash the truck for at least 48 hours.

They did nothing to the transmission - couldn't replicate - which isn't surprising.

I did get the feeling that along with the 10 speed, the 3.42 rear end made the truck feel a bit more peppy than the 3.23...  not sure if that is placebo or not, but it seemed that way...

The '20 wasn't exciting enough to trade my '19 in :)   Although I am considering changing out the X31 shocks for something different.....

this free loaner thing by GM is something i applaud them on. 

I have a few family members/freinds with Fords who dont get a free loaner. In fact you have to purchase "loaner agreement" getting a rental when you buy the truck.  GM you dont and for some of us who had issues , you know GM never sweats the loaner. Heck i have been given escalades a few times when ive taken my Denali in for leaks/minor 1 day issues. 

Kudos to Gm here. 

• Like 1

I think is a ploy to get you to drive the newer vehicle and plant the seeds of a new purchase...  not much help on 2019 to 2020, but if you were driving a 2015 or something, then you drive the 2020 and get excited about a new ride... win for the dealer...

13 minutes ago, Chris Callanan said:

I think is a ploy to get you to drive the newer vehicle and plant the seeds of a new purchase...  not much help on 2019 to 2020, but if you were driving a 2015 or something, then you drive the 2020 and get excited about a new ride... win for the dealer...

This. I was not really thinking of buying a 19 until my 16 went into the shop. The 19 loaner they gave me was so much better to drive I bought my own two weeks later. 

Also supporting this...since I bought the 19, the loaners I’ve gotten have been mostly crap, probably since they have nothing to sell me? A Chevy Malibu for 3-4 days was the worst. I did get a 19 Sierra SLT the next time, but only because I was very pissed about the stuff they damaged fixing my window.

Either GM does execute the service loaner program pretty well. Of course if they made a non-leaking window, demand for the program would cut in half. ?

• Like 1

Surprising they gave you a Malibu on the dealer service survey one of the first questions asked on mine was the loaner vehicle equivalent to what I own. I’ve always been given the exact vehicle I’ve brought in just a newer version of it and a greater or lesser trim.

I have a 2020 LT CC  3.0L diesel with the 10 speed and am really impressed with this transmission always seems to be in the right gear and it's hard to tell when it down shifts. I think this should one of the best features of this truck.