best tune/programmer and CAI for 2017 6.2L

I would look into modifying the stock box, buy a good dry reusable filter and an airade MIT. Also, the Diablo tuner with a custom tune is probably the easiest route for a tune. Diablew makes a good tune and it's a pretty simple process and the price isn't bad either. That's the route I took with my 5.3 and I'm happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your foot plays a far bigger role in mpg than a tune does.

I do custom tuning with HP Tuners and have for over 8 years. It's not something where I just dittle the mouse and magically get 2-3 mpg from a tune.

16 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Your foot plays a far bigger role in mpg than a tune does.

I do custom tuning with HP Tuners and have for over 8 years. It's not something where I just dittle the mouse and magically get 2-3 mpg from a tune.

My truck is factory stock and I was thinking about a tune to get a bit more power, disable AFM and generally increase drive-ability.  Why would I chose an HP Tuners tune over a Diablosport Tune?  What does an HP Tuners tune cost?

I have done some research and I understand that a CAI will add a few HP and some torque at the very top of the RPM band.  Not sure that benefits me when towing the boat or in my daily driving.
I don't want to spend the money on headers and a new exhaust.  I also understand that there is no easy way to tune my trans.  Something about sending the unit to HP Tuners and have them make a physical modification to enable tuning.  That isn't going to happen.  Perhaps if I were doing a power adder or cam and lifters.  i also understand that there isn't really much HP and torque to be found in a naturally aspirated engine.  What are some realistic gains?

Edited by paracutin

I'm thinking about a tuner as well.  Wonder if it is worth it and whether there is significant change.  Would not send anything away to be messed with.  I'd like to cut out the speed limiter, would like to tune for better towing when needed... if possible.  Something easy to use, multiple programs.

• Like 1

HP Tuners is for the guy that wants to learn it themselves. There is no such thing as a "boxed" or "canned" tune with HP Tuners. It doesn't offer selectable tunes like eco modes, tow modes etc etc. To me all that stuff is a gimmick because whoever built the tune just made one part of it far more aggressive that it previous was or far more mild etc etc.

Everything you want in a tune can be done with one calibration if the person doing it knows what they are doing.

HP Tuners is $300 for the device and software. Then it's a credit amount per license and each vehicle has a credit fee that can vary. For example 2014-2016 Silverado's are 2 credits for PCM/TCM.

2017-2018 Silverado's are 4 credits for PCM and TCM is 4 credits plus the TCM unlock service. Added security to the computers made for the price increase. Note: the TCM is not required for tuning, you could just do the PCM.

A credit costs $50.

If doing it yourself is not something you want to take on, then buying something like a Diablo I guess is what you are left with. Or paying a shop to do a custom tune but that would likely be the most expensive option.

Power gains is tough to say because I don't have a dyno but I'd say 15-20hp and similar torque on pump gas is possible and a tad more with E85. Without altering the torque tables and just doing some fueling/timing changes the predicted and calculated torque values are up about that amount with the things I change.

So... a custom tune from Diablo Lew is gonna run me $550 with the Trinity i3 programmer.  It cannot tune the 8 speed trans.

The hardware, software and credit from HP Tuners will cost me about $500 and I have to tune it myself or find a forum member that will share their tune.

Either way I am looking at $500 for 20hp.  I'm not sure it is worth it to me.  Drive-ability would have to be amazing for me to see the value.  I'm not knocking anyone that tunes.  It's your money, you decide how to spend it.

Thank you for the info.  VERY helpful!  I really appreciate that you didn't try to shove HP Tuners down my throat or blast the heck out of a Diablo tuner.  Everyone has different expectations, comfort levels and budgets.

Thanks again!

28 minutes ago, paracutin said:

So... a custom tune from Diablo Lew is gonna run me $550 with the Trinity i3 programmer.  It cannot tune the 8 speed trans.

The hardware, software and credit from HP Tuners will cost me about $500 and I have to tune it myself or find a forum member that will share their tune.

Either way I am looking at $500 for 20hp.  I'm not sure it is worth it to me.  Drive-ability would have to be amazing for me to see the value.  I'm not knocking anyone that tunes.  It's your money, you decide how to spend it.

Thank you for the info.  VERY helpful!  I really appreciate that you didn't try to shove HP Tuners down my throat or blast the heck out of a Diablo tuner.  Everyone has different expectations, comfort levels and budgets.

Thanks again!

Whatever modifies the torque management and the throttle response.

That’s worth $550.

if that’s in the tcm, then no, not worth it

59 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Whatever modifies the torque management and the throttle response.

That’s worth $550.

if that’s in the tcm, then no, not worth it

Lew tells me he can reduce or eliminate torque management and improve throttle response (drive ability) so that stuff must be in the ECM not the TCM.

16 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Lew tells me he can reduce or eliminate torque management and improve throttle response (drive ability) so that stuff must be in the ECM not the TCM.

Then yes, it’s worth it, my 0-60 went from 5.9 to 5.0 with just a tune. I am completely stock. But that’s including the trans tune.

I would get some feedback from someone who’s done an ecm only tune though to be sure.

2 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Then yes, it’s worth it, my 0-60 went from 5.9 to 5.0 with just a tune. I am completely stock. But that’s including the trans tune.

I would get some feedback from someone who’s done an ecm only tune though to be sure.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

13 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I am also interested if you ever went back to the dealer for warranty work after tuning and if you did, did you have any issues with them.  Did you flash back to stock first?  My truck only has 28k on it so I have a bit of warranty remaining.

Adding a CAI is a 33% you’ll gain, 33% you won’t and 33% you’ll lose power.

I’ve got a SuperChips tune on my 18 6.2 and it’s awesome, completely woke up the 6.2.

If the technician finds a tune just by plugging into then you’re SCREWED! It’ll be reported to GM and your warranty will be deleted.

With my SuperChips, I’ve put it back to stock that morning I take it in and set it back to performance once I pick it up. The 8speed cannot be tuned through SuperChips but I don’t race my truck, if I did it would’ve been traded in by now. Good luck and be careful, based on issues plaguing K2’s and newer T1’s, you don’t want to screw around with your warranty!

Sent from Above

39 minutes ago, paracutin said:

I am also interested if you ever went back to the dealer for warranty work after tuning and if you did, did you have any issues with them.  Did you flash back to stock first?  My truck only has 28k on it so I have a bit of warranty remaining.

Tons but never any major powertrain.

Had my injectors replaced and my trans thermostat replaced. 

They’ll only scan it if you need something major replaced. And that’s just what I assumed.

I don’t even flash back to stock to take it in.