Chrome Bumper vs Painted Bumper

Currently have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT which has a chrome front bumper. Possibly looking at purchasing 2021 GMC Sierra SLT or Denali. All Denali's have painted front and back bumpers. When hand washing my truck, the chrome bumper is easier to clean (bugs come off easier). Anyone move from a chrome bumper truck to a painted bumper truck and have any comments\experiences with this change? 

All depends on you. The painted front end will chip easily and a lot. The chrome will hold up better. Get paint protection asap if you want to go painted. I have owned a few of both and i can tell you it pisses me off every time i have to touch up a rock chip but they didn't offer the AT4 with chrome. For my taste GMC has a good balance of chrome/paint on the slt and if it gives you all the options you want i would go that route. 

Reason I went back to chrome bumper, kind of missed the all black front end on my TB but new one is starting to grow on me. I think that I have about the right mix of chrome and black on my 2020 LT. 

IMG_0567.jpg

• Like 2

Reason I went back to chrome bumper, kind of missed the all black front end on my TB but new one is starting to grow on me. I think that I have about the right mix of chrome and black on my 2020 LT. 
IMG_0567.jpg.150ce0820fe99c6aec79b6bc0ea09802.jpg
That's a sharp looking truck. Reminds me of my white 14.

I'm a fan of chrome.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

That's a sharp looking truck. Reminds me of my white 14.

I'm a fan of chrome.

Thanks, seemed pretty plain looking when I first got it. The addition of a black bowtie, fog lights and hood protector made a major difference in appearance to me.

• Like 1

Thanks, seemed pretty plain looking when I first got it. The addition of a black bowtie, fog lights and hood protector made a major difference in appearance to me.
I had all of that except the deflector on my 14 and learned a valuable lesson about the new environmentally friendly paint. My hood was peppered with chips.

Stuck the AVS aeroskin on my 2017 and that hood is chip free, even from that little tiny thing that looks like it wouldn't do anything. But it sure does.

my TB was the same way on the front of hood. Didn't wait very long to put an aeroskin on my new one. I think that bug strikes put some of the chips in there. LOL

That looks like my buddy's TB he bought last year, but he has those aluminum and black 20" wheels.

When I bought my 2014, I was a single guy with no kids. I loved the 20" wheels with the low pro tires.

Now? The 18s with more sidewall are smoother and keep the kid asleep. [emoji38]

I like both chrome and painted and have had both. My previous '16 Sierra had chrome. I went with the painted bumper on my '19. I've had my truck since last March and so far no chips. I couldn't be happier on how it's held up. I spray it with F11 top coat about every 3 months and bugs wash right off. 

1581221142445_Screenshot_2020-02-08-21-42-50-1-1.png

• Like 2

Nice looking truck. Love the color but I live out in the sticks and it's hard to keep those dark colors looking good for very long. Wash it at home and drive to town and it's dirty, wash it in town and drive home and it's dirty. LOL

• Like 2

Nice looking truck. Love the color but I live out in the sticks and it's hard to keep those dark colors looking good for very long. Wash it at home and drive to town and it's dirty, wash it in town and drive home and it's dirty. LOL
That's the exact reason why I avoided dark colors for years.

I stuck to white trucks for 8 years until I got a place I could park it covered.

But I definitely prefer dark. Dark blue, black, and charcoal are my favorite.

11 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

You're gonna wanna do a spray-on ceramic coat or it's gonna chiiiiiiiip.

I like chrome bumpers for precisely that reason and use an AVS Aeroskin on the hood on my 2017. I learned my lesson with my 2014, that hood had so many little tiny paint chips on it.

Spray-on ceramic coat does not prevent rock chips. Only thing to do is have some place put that 3M clear film over it.