Weather and Messages

Can someone please tell me how to use my weather app?  Is this connected through Onstar now?  In my 2018 is went through my sirrusxm so what gives?  This is on a 2020 GMC Sierra Denali and pretty disappointed that I can't get it to work.  Also is there a work around or fix other than plugging my phone in to receive messages via Bluetooth like in old truck.  I have read where it was taken away due to a safety issue.  So I guess its safer when I receive a text message that I pick up the phone and look at it instead of hearing through my radio???  Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, I could not find the answer on this forum...

29 minutes ago, Col. Brown said:

Thank you I will look at the link.  Is there a chance that it could be brought back if enough people complain?

There's a thread on here on how to get it back. You have to send an email to gm customer service.

Search is your friend. 

3 hours ago, OHDenali said:

There's a thread on here on how to get it back. You have to send an email to gm customer service.

Search is your friend. 

2 hours ago, OHDenali said:

That sucks.

I found the thread: 

Yeah, I've emailed and called twice, they wont do it anymore.... say that they no longer have the ability to do so.

Edited by Swiftks

3 hours ago, Col. Brown said:

Can someone please tell me how to use my weather app?  Is this connected through Onstar now?  In my 2018 is went through my sirrusxm so what gives?  This is on a 2020 GMC Sierra Denali and pretty disappointed that I can't get it to work.  Also is there a work around or fix other than plugging my phone in to receive messages via Bluetooth like in old truck.  I have read where it was taken away due to a safety issue.  So I guess its safer when I receive a text message that I pick up the phone and look at it instead of hearing through my radio???  Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, I could not find the answer on this forum...

Weather App uses the LTE connection [maybe the Cell phone Hotspot might work, never tried it]. Message App is gone,

Depending on how your phone is configured, you can ask your phone to read your last text & it will be broadcast through your trucks speakers when connected via Bluetooth. I’ve been having Siri read me my texts since GM screwed the pooch & took their ten steps backwards on safety & convenience.

The XM weather app has been removed and replaced with a downloadable Weather Channel app in the Infotainment App Store. You’ll need a data plan for it, either on the truck itself of hot spotted from your phone.

I still miss the XM weather but I’m slowly adjusting to the new app.