6 speed carnage

Would anyone be interested in a small write up of how and why a 6 speed explodes? Just had one today I took pics of and thought about doing a ‘how come’ on why they go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought 6sp was time tested, and better than newer 8 and 10sp

21 hours ago, tlaw91 said:

Ok great! Just making sure I wouldn’t be wasting my time. I have to do it on the computer because Tapatalk won’t let me upload more then 1 picture.

What do you want to know about the 8 speed?

Anything you can share about the 8 speed, I have just under 23000 miles on it (2018), should I do the fluid exchange?

Compared to my 16 (also 8 speed), it is pretty smooth, just wondering what I should do.

Torque converter replaced in our 16 Tahoe at 59000 miles (6 speed).

Anything you can share about the 8 speed, I have just under 23000 miles on it (2018), should I do the fluid exchange?

Compared to my 16 (also 8 speed), it is pretty smooth, just wondering what I should do.

Torque converter replaced in our 16 Tahoe at 59000 miles (6 speed).

If your vehicle is exhibiting a shudder condition you should bring it to the dealership for repairs, you are under warranty.

1 hour ago, tlaw91 said:

If your vehicle is exhibiting a shudder condition you should bring it to the dealership for repairs, you are under warranty.

My truck only shudders when the tranny fluid is cold. After the fluid warms up a few minutes later, the shuddering goes away and is the transmission shifts as smooth as it can with the factory tune. Should I just keep my eye on it or should I take in for repair?

1 hour ago, tlaw91 said:

In "laymen's" terms, describe "shudder".

I know this is a very broad question, but Washington has pretty bad roads, I have the factory 22" Bridgestone's, and the factory Rancho shocks, you can kind of see where I am going, lots of outside influences here.

19 minutes ago, tlaw91 said:

Go 45 mph at a steady state up a long grade.

It’ll feel like it’s misfiring randomly and or going over rumble strips.

Hope this helps

-GM Tech

That is a great answer, 99.9% percent sure I do not have that issue, but will give it a try.

in 8th gear, with the 3.23, where should the RPM's be?

I had a 2016 Colorado that had a transmission shutter. A transmission software update (TSB) cured the problem. It would happen at low speeds (25-40 mph) on a gradual incline. It seemed as though it was lugging in the wrong gear. Kind of like if you were driving a manual and you needed to downshift. When it would happen, I would give it more gas, it would downshift and take off like a bat out of hell. Not good.

Hopefully yours just needs to be hooked to the dealer computer and updated. But there were others that needed fluid changes and or torque converters.

Good luck...

That is a great answer, 99.9% percent sure I do not have that issue, but will give it a try.

in 8th gear, with the 3.23, where should the RPM's be?

Below 2k around 1700

I don’t pay *that* much attention when I’m test driving customers cars, when you do 2-3 a day you just kinda get into a zone and you know exactly what to feel for.

So it’s a guess.

Hope this helps

-GM Tech

I had a 2016 Colorado that had a transmission shutter. A transmission software update (TSB) cured the problem. It would happen at low speeds (25-40 mph) on a gradual incline. It seemed as though it was lugging in the wrong gear. Kind of like if you were driving a manual and you needed to downshift. When it would happen, I would give it more gas, it would downshift and take off like a bat out of hell. Not good.
Hopefully yours just needs to be hooked to the dealer computer and updated. But there were others that needed fluid changes and or torque converters.
Good luck...

We are no longer performing updates or torque converter replacements for this issue except in extreme cases the torque converter gets replaced. Very rare.

-GM Tech

I prefer the 6 speed myself. But I also do my own aftermarket tuning, so I make it do what I want,

Yes of course! With firmer shifts and less torque converter apply you can definitely increase longevity!

Remember- easy shifts are slippage. So if it bangs gears there’s no slipping, and slipping is no good! At least that’s my theory lol

• Like 1