6 speed carnage

15 minutes ago, newdude said:

6L80 so either converter failed and took the pump, or the 4/5/6 housing broke, or the carrier went.   

This one is the popular converter failure! I thought it may be cool to add some pictures for context. Are you a technician as well? 

3 hours ago, tlaw91 said:

This one is the popular converter failure! I thought it may be cool to add some pictures for context. Are you a technician as well? 

Do it post em up!

Not a tech, but I sure help the crap out of them by getting the parts they need :)    We just did 3 or 4 converters in the last 6 months, one got a pump, two more got whole transmissions.  Most of the ones that fail we've seen are 2016-2017, some at 40-50k miles.  Some of the 2014-2015 trucks had 100k or more with an issue or two.  We've also put a couple converters in 6L90s too, 2015-2017.  Almost makes me think that there was something going on with their converter suppliers during those 3 or so years.

Surprisingly, I've seen only 2 or 3 8 speeds come out before they started the flush program that got new converters.  The rest of the 8 speeds have just been the fluid swap.  Its clunky and has its quirks, but they seem to hold up where I work.      

Edited by newdude

Do it post em up!

Not a tech, but I sure help the crap out of them by getting the parts they need [emoji4]    We just did 3 or 4 converters in the last 6 months, one got a pump, two more got whole transmissions.  Most of the ones that fail we've seen are 2016-2017, some at 40-50k miles.  Some of the 2014-2015 trucks had 100k or more with an issue or two.  We've also put a couple converters in 6L90s too, 2015-2017.  Almost makes me think that there was something going on with their converter suppliers during those 3 or so years.

Surprisingly, I've seen only 2 or 3 8 speeds come out before they started the flush program that got new converters.  The rest of the 8 speeds have just been the fluid swap.  Its clunky and has its quirks, but they seem to hold up where I work.      

THATS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING

They’ll shift like a teenage girl learning stick and rattle your teeth out of you don’t do fluid changes but they do NOT come apart. See my other post for the write up on the 6 speeds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question for you guys that work on these everyday, i personally work on Mercedes for a living.  Anyways i have a 2018 1500 with the 6 speed, currently has 12k on it, i purchased it new and pretty much ever since day one it has had a shudder, sometimes a more abrupt jerk when gently accelerating, but usually just a soft shudder sensation.  Happens usually from 50-80 and only when the torque converter is locked up, press pedal down a hair more TC will unlock and shudder/jerk will go away.  

I have complained about it twice at the dealer, they say "operating as designed".  My question is if there is a fix for this, or would even a new converter have a slight shudder to it, is it really the nature of the beast?  thanks