Power Steering Noise- started at 100 miles!

Well..

I just traded in my 2019 1500T1 Z71 LTZ Friday for a 2020 2500 Z71 LTZ Gas.  Basically a bigger brother with a few more options.

On the way home from the dealer I started to hear a groaning sound from the power steering.  It has Digital Variable steering assist.   Sounds like a bad power steering pump from the ones I have heard in the past.  Sound changes with engine RPM, gets louder once warmed up and louder the farther you turn the wheel each way.  Truck has 297 miles...  :(

I haven't seen any complaints about this for the new model unless I missed the thread.  Anybody else?

My dealer has been great, providing me with a brand new Malibu loaner car, but damn I want my truck, lol!  

UPDATE

As I type this they just called me.  "Known issue, no  fix yet per GM" .  They are submitting a report or something like that.  They also admitted it shouldn't make that noise.  The Tech seemed genuinely concerned to fix it but no resolution.  I'm headed to pick it up now. It drives perfectly, just annoying to hear that all the time.

Hope this doesn't turn into one of "those" threads...dammit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, Limelight said:

Well..

I just traded in my 2019 1500T1 Z71 LTZ Friday for a 2020 2500 Z71 LTZ Gas.  Basically a bigger brother with a few more options.

On the way home from the dealer I started to hear a groaning sound from the power steering.  It has Digital Variable steering assist.   Sounds like a bad power steering pump from the ones I have heard in the past.  Sound changes with engine RPM, gets louder once warmed up and louder the farther you turn the wheel each way.  Truck has 297 miles...  :(

I haven't seen any complaints about this for the new model unless I missed the thread.  Anybody else?

My dealer has been great, providing me with a brand new Malibu loaner car, but damn I want my truck, lol!  

UPDATE

As I type this they just called me.  "Known issue, no  fix yet per GM" .  They are submitting a report or something like that.  They also admitted it shouldn't make that noise.  The Tech seemed genuinely concerned to fix it but no resolution.  I'm headed to pick it up now. It drives perfectly, just annoying to hear that all the time.

Hope this doesn't turn into one of "those" threads...dammit.

@MTU Alum  Do you have any insight on this?   It's still making the noise...

Thanks for all your contributions- every post you make is helpful!

I’ve noticed the noise since day 1 in my 2020 2500 Denali 6.6 gasser. Ran across this bulletin describing the exact issue and noise but dealer refused to fix because the temperatures don’t fall with in the specified ranges. I’ll attach the bulletin and perhaps they’ll be enough complaints that GM might take notice. 

mc-10163270-9999.pdf

Update to this-

We we’re running errands this morning and noticed a puddle under the drivers front of the truck. I looked up under there and yup.  Leak where an electrical plug connects to the recirculating ball unit. 
I’m back in a loaner-  Colorado 4 cyl.  

Hopefully it’ll get fixed this time around. I’m not taking delivery back until it is.  :)  1200 miles. 

Well, the dealer cleaned the area where Leak may have been ( it wasn’t actively leaking) and put dye in the PS system. If it leaks again I will take it back.  The dealer has been fantastic- no complaints with them at all. My issue is GM refuses to let them perform warranty work on it... Regarding the noise-  Now GM states it’s normal - referencing bulletin #PIT5544C.  The dealership wrote right on the paperwork that they compared it to a like vehicle and the noise is not normal. It’s a

loud groaning noise- not a

”hydraulic rushing sound”. 

I’ve started a case with GM regarding this noise- I have to take the truck to a different dealer Friday for a second opinion. That dealer already stated he would only have the truck less than an hour so I guess that means they don’t plan on doing anything. Ha!

This may take a while but they are going to make it right one way or another. 1300 miles now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

The second dealer also stated the noise is NOT normal. We compared to another 2500 LTZ and no noise. 

Called customer service again (they acted like they knew nothing about it at first...) and setup another appointment with the original dealer- now I’m dealing with the Service Director only. 

The service director ordered and replaced the Booster Inlet Hose # SPO 084150115 (2 days at the dealer).   When I picked the truck up there was no noise. Once it warmed up- the Groaning noise is still there and now there are also noises that sound like possible air in the lines. 

I take it back in Monday which will make 5 dealer visits for this issue.

If it’s not fixed this time around is this a lemon law case?  Hate to do it, but 2200 miles....

Did you look at your power steering fluid at all?  If it is burnt looking the pump maybe damaged.  Its pretty easy to damage the pump because at lock turns because the pump gets starved from fluid.  If you do any type of moderately aggressive acceleration with the pump starved, you can burn up the pump.  2020 are not different than 2019 for this but wheelbase is longer with same steer ratio.

#iworkforGM 

Edited by MTU Alum

19 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

Did you look at your power steering fluid at all?  If it is burnt looking the pump maybe damaged.  Its pretty easy to damage the pump because at lock turns because the pump gets starved from fluid.  If you do any type of moderately aggressive acceleration with the pump starved, you can burn up the pump.  2020 are not different than 2019 for this but wheelbase is longer with same steer ratio.

#iworkforGM 

The first thing I did the day after I got it was check the fluid- which was clear- but it appeared to be overfilled. I didn’t mention that to the dealer, but they did mention on the first invoice that the fluid was “overfilled from the factory”.
They added fluid (per the invoice) when they replaced the hose. It’s still clear. 
Thanks for the input. I believe it’s a pump issue as well. 

Edited by Limelight

• 2 weeks later...

This is really going to sound weird but check the ground cable from the frame to the engine. Make sure there is nothing ( no paint or undercoat, etc) between the cable ends and the frame or block. Grease there is OK and actually preferred to keep corrosion out. I once found a poor connection here that burned up the power steering hose on an IH tandem that I was working on. When cranking the engine, the ground circuit had to go thru the PS hose to get to the block because of the bad ground cable connection. Had to replace the pump, hose and gearbox because of the arcing damage. I know it is a long shot but it is also something that is easy to check. 
Also make sure the battery grounds to the block is good.

Edited by Sask Farmboy
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Mine has done this since Day 1.  When sitting and idling, after the truck has warmed up, it sounds like a low hissing sound.  When I turn the steering wheel the hissing sound increases.  I can drown it out by opening a window or turning up the radio, but I guess I don't really feel like I should have to do that.  Plus, where I live it's freezing in the winter and I don't plan on driving around with my window open!  I'm not sure why GM calls this "normal".  I've driven a lot of vehicles in my time and I don't recall any of them that make this sound.  I feel like GM always says an issue is "normal" when they have no fix and simply don't want to spend the money to investigate.  It's not the first time this has happened with GM vehicles I've owned.  I know nothing is perfect, but I have a hard time believing they can't make a power steering pump that doesn't hiss and groan in a $60k truck.  Just my opinion...

• 3 months later...

Just purchased my 2020 Denali HD with the 6.6L gas. Apx 350 miles on it now. Sitting in the drivers seat, at idle I hear a gurgling/hissing sound coming from behind the dash. To my ear, seems to be in the upper left area of the engine compartment in line with the tach display. AC unit and climate control fans are off. 

As I increase From 500rpm while in park, the sound decreases. When The tach reaches about 800rpm it sounds like a valve closes and the noise stops. The sound does not change when I turn the steering wheel. The sound is not noticeable with radio at low volume.  My 2017 Denali 1500 never made this noise nor any other vehicle I’ve owned. 

Edited by Fisker
Error on tach rpm info