Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTP)

My truck remote stopped working yesterday.

After being asked to see if the check engine light was on, I looked and it was, which apparently won't allow the remote start to operate.

Went to Auto Zone today and they checked and found Error code P0454 "Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/ Switch Intermittent".

Basically says a broken wire, bad connection or bad FTP -and that most always is the FTP switch.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there anything else that anyone knows can cause this code?

2) Is it worth resetting the codes, by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute, to see if it comes back, just incase that it may have just been a "burp"?

3) If it does come back, I have drive train warranty till September -would this, as an Emissions part, be covered?

4)If not covered, the little bit that I've found, indicates that it is on the top of the tank -how hard is it to replace?

5) If not warranty or a tough install, anyone have it done at the dealer and can tell me about how much it costs to get done?

Thanks

Forgot to start with the fact that Auto Zone scanned and found code P0454.

Well, I did the battery reset and as expected, the check engine light went off.

The remote start works now, so that was a learning experience for me.

So, if the light comes back on, I guess I'll check with the dealer to have them check it and if it is warranty "emissions" covered.

Thanks Roger

Edited by Glava2876
Forgot some info to share

Yes I know what’s going on! I do this for a living!

Lol

I’m silly

Anyways the fuel tank pressure sensor is located on top of tank, riiight in between the cab and bed, so water and junk can conveniently fall on the electronic sensor and cause it to fail. Super common. Replace fuel tank pressure sensor with OEM updated p/n

Hope this helps

-Friendly Neighborhood GM tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1