Lifter tick

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and this is my first post.I recently purchased a 2002 Silverado 2500 HD with 125,000 miles it needed some work but I thought I had it all taken care of .a couple of days ago it started making a noise which I can only describe as lifter noise .I’ve tried changing the oil I’ve tried an engine flush every mechanic shop I have taken it to has advised me to replace it with a used engine but I am hesitant to put in a used engine and potentially have the same problemDown the line. I am debating whether to rebuild the current engine or purchase a crate engine .it is my daily driver any and all input would be appreciated

First, are you sure that's what it is.  Broken bolts on the exhaust manifold can cause a ticking noise.  I would suggest using a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down exactly where the problem is (and they are pretty cheap).  Be careful with the tip around spinning bits...

Second, if you do decide to rebuild, I would suggest pulling a used one from a junkyard (which should be relatively cheap), and rebuild that one, then when it's done, swap it into your truck.  This way, you get minimal downtime (short of your engine outright failing, which would be unusual), and you can sell the "bad" engine at the end so you shouldn't be out any money (or even get a little).

I went thru this 3 weeks ago with my 2001 2500HD with the 8.1L motor.  I was convinced it was a collapsed lifter.  It turned out to be the last 2 exhaust studs, closest to the fire wall, were less than finger tight.  i replaced the factory multilayer steel gasket on one side and snugged up the bolts on the other side.  problem solved.  These motors (small and big block) are notorious for broken studs.  Mine is the first instance i have seen where the studs actually loosened. 

• 3 years later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, vucelick said:

I went thru this 3 weeks ago with my 2001 2500HD with the 8.1L motor.  I was convinced it was a collapsed lifter.  It turned out to be the last 2 exhaust studs, closest to the fire wall, were less than finger tight.  i replaced the factory multilayer steel gasket on one side and snugged up the bolts on the other side.  problem solved.  These motors (small and big block) are notorious for broken studs.  Mine is the first instance i have seen where the studs actually loosened. 

Idk how I overlooked that, I should of known, it sounded a lot different when I was on the highway pulling 7k lbs