A Heads Up On Transmissions Read Hear Before Buying/Ordering

23 hours ago, AD80 said:

I did take it to the dealer about this and, of course, when i got up there it was doing the soft clunk and not the hard one. They said it was normal, and when i told them about how its usually alot worse, they seemed to believe me but acted like i shouldnt worry about it. On the print out they gave me, it said they recommend  that i wait a couple seconds after start up before i shift to reverse, to let the rpms settle down, which i always do anyway. i usually let i warm up a while before i take off.  It doesnt matter if i wait 10 seconds or 5 minutes, it still does it. I only have about 1500 miles on it so far, so im hoping it will smooth out as it breaks in.

Take it in it’s the fluid draining back out of the Torque converter we had this issue on Corvettes as well. They have a fix however it requires them to drop the tranny out and its very expensive and Mother GM no likie  expensive repairs that she has to write the check for.  They might want to try changing the fluid first that’s been up dated as well.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, MacLaren said:

That's strange.  Mine has never done that going into reverse gear. Although, I do sometimes, like early in the morning, get the occasional clunk from going from 1st to 2nd. But, that's when I dont let her warm up. 

I think I would have the delaer look at that reverse gear. 

Try cycling the gear shift lever through the Selections a few times before leaving the driveway I bet you won’t feel the 1-2 harshness. Another 8 speed Corvette issue. 

• Like 1

Folks if you do a search GM is being sued in many states right now over 8 speed transmission issues. Many Many law suits. That’s why I am recommending getting the 10 speed if you can. And the list goes on and on.

0000B3F9-C691-481E-BDD4-471926E6E04E.png

Edited by ILSilverado

1 hour ago, ILSilverado said:

Try cycling the gear shift lever through the Selections a few times before leaving the driveway I bet you won’t feel the 1-2 harshness. Another 8 speed Corvette issue. 

Thank you. I'll give it a try. 

Ahhh but I’m getting almost 30 mpg with the 3.0 that’s almost 100% better mileage than GMs gasoline offerings with the 8 speed. I was on average of 16 mpg with my 2019 and the 5.2 V8 mated to the A8. I’ll make sure I don’t paint my truck with diesel fuel, thanks for the advice.

I did some quick math, see below - using the published 2020 combined mpg rating for the 5.3 8spd and the 3.0 10spd, and factoring my local fuel cost of regular vs diesel, I see a cost savings with the diesel of $215.67 per year, assuming 15000 miles.  At that savings rate, it would take over 10 years to make up the cost difference between the two powertrains.  Of course, fuel cost differences can make a difference, but in my parts diesel is always a fair amount higher than regular.  My point is that simply bragging about MPG does not tell the whole story 

image.png.83ba14acfb8d4b444ff75c73779c4b3a.png

Edited by bwoodsmn
typo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bwoodsmn said:

I did some quick math, see below - using the published 2020 combined mpg rating for the 5.3 8spd and the 3.0 10spd, and factoring my local fuel cost of regular vs diesel, I see a cost savings with the diesel of $215.67 per year, assuming 15000 miles.  At that savings rate, it would take over 10 years to make up the cost difference between the two powertrains.  Of course, fuel cost differences can make a difference, but in my parts diesel is always a fair amount higher than regular.  My point is that simply bragging about MPG does to tell the whole story 

image.png.83ba14acfb8d4b444ff75c73779c4b3a.png

Here diesel is about 04 cents more than regular gasoline. I also wanted the 10 speed transmission. The 8 speed is a rough shifting unrefined turd IMO.

Edited by ILSilverado

Here diesel is about 04 cents more than regular gasoline. I also wanted the 10 speed transmission. The 8 speed is a rough shifting unrefined turd IMO.

You are fortunate to live in a location where diesel and gas have such similar pricing.  That is not the case across much of the US. The national average for diesel 12/30/2019 was $3.07, and nationally Regular Gas was $2.58 per gallon. Using those figures, the annual savings would be ~$308 in favor of the diesel.  It would still take years to break even.  I own a 5.3 8-speed, and    once my transmission broke in, now that I have 7500 miles on it its working fine.  (shrug)

6 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

Take it in it’s the fluid draining back out of the Torque converter we had this issue on Corvettes as well. They have a fix however it requires them to drop the tranny out and its very expensive and Mother GM no likie  expensive repairs that she has to write the check for.  They might want to try changing the fluid first that’s been up dated as well.

That makes sense, but I wonder why it only does in reverse. Shifting to drive is smooth like it should be. Mine was built 6/19, so it should have the updated fluid. As long as it holds up, I’d rather just deal with it instead of having the dealer tear into it,  I’m scared I would get it back with more problems than what I had.

Edited by AD80

16 minutes ago, AD80 said:

That makes sense, but I wonder why it only does in reverse. Shifting to drive is smooth like it should be. Mine was built 6/19, so it should have the updated fluid. As long as it holds up, I’d rather just deal with it instead of having the dealer tear into it,  I’m scared I would get it back with more problems than what I had.

Well what I would do is next time you have it in for service have them evaluate it. This way you have it documented on the repair order just in case ...if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, ILSilverado said:

Well what I would do is next time you have it in for service have them evaluate it. This way you have it documented on the repair order just in case ...if you know what I mean.

I will for sure bring it up again next time I’m there. I also have the print out they gave me from the first time stating my complaint and them saying it was normal. I plan on trading it in before the warranty runs out anyway, maybe it will hold up till then or get better as time goes on.