2017 Silverado U 1510 CEL engine trouble code

I have a 2017 Silverado with 51,000 miles.  Just got the CEL a couple days ago, run a basic scan tool  to show the U 1510 code.  I am aware that there are sub codes, but this tool does not display those.  Doing some  research looking like it could possibly be the active grill shutters module..  I’m trying to avoid taking it to the dealer at the moment . Trying to do some more research first, because conveniently this won’t be covered under power train  warranty.  I did a basic test yesterday of the shutters, I unhooked the  connector and  applied power and ground and the shutters went closed; however, I was unable to get the shutters to reopen by  applying power. I’m not sure when the LIN bus signal pulses the shutters closed.. I’m assuming higher speeds for  aerodynamics?  I  put a piece of masking tape on the shutters and noticed that the shutters never did try to go closed and I was on interstate at a higher speed for several miles. Also tried to check the LIN bus  signal, but I have an old oscilloscope, so I really didn’t get and accurate waveform.  Searching the Internet, I have seen this has been a fairly common problem with GM.  My next step is to replace the shutter unit.  I hate to put out over $200 for something that might not be the problem but, if I take it to the dealership I’m sure it’s going to cost more, by the time they figure it out.  If anyone has any information on this problem, a response would be very much appreciated. Thank you and sorry for the long post. 

• 1 year later...