Dynamic Fuel Management - How it Affects Your Transmission

A good article, explains a lot relative to shift point quality and temperature sensitivity

Didn't touch on further tranny mods to compensate for start stop over traditional design. These trannys contain either a pressure accumulator or auxiliary electric hydraulic pump to maintain transmission pressures (primarily on band servos for instant gear engagement)  for the duration of an autostop cycle when the tranny's engine powered mechanical pump is stopped.

Edited by Thomcat
typos
  • Thanks 1

I found this paragraph of great interest. 

Like the AFM/DOD system, you will hear me preaching about the importance of using the correct engine oil and filter along with the need to change it often. A tremendous amount of the issues with the AFM/ DOD system on both the GM and Dodge applications are due to poor maintenance on the part of the owner, it’s an expensive lesson to learn. While all these vehicles are equipped with engine oil life monitors, it’s been shown to be prudent to change your oil and filter well prior to the system indicating that the oil should be changed.

Seems the experts consider use of the OLM as 'poor maintenance'. 

Thanks for sharing this. 

:thumbs:

• Like 2

This transmission article goes back to the beginning of torque management and shift issues going forward. My transmission and engine work so well together that I could not have believed that the DOD have much of an effect on anything but itself. Consider me educated. :thumbs: Good thread!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I assume you are talking to me?

5,000 miles on DOD motors using synthetics. 3,000 using conventional. 

I never use that engine killer DIC for my oil changes (or brake pads). Have my own algorithm.......first change at 1K and after that could be anytime between earliest 3K and latest 5K.

My algorithm is determined by: Sunny day, Warm day or room in one of the garages on a cold day, Windless day, dry ground, nothing more urgent to do, and primary factor having enough ambition to change at least one of the vehicles. And before starting check for sufficient stock of both grades of Mobil1 oil, replacement AC filters and new OEM drain plugs.....can never be too sure.

And my eyeballs determine brake pad life.

• Like 2

Pretty sure the DIC #s are now based on 5,000 mile intervals? Mine seems to be on that type of a run-down since my first oil change. I'm at 39% in the DIC after having the oil changed around 4650. Current odometer is 7739. If you do the math, that means the DIC is telling me to change the oil at 5000 miles. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, econometrics said:

Pretty sure the DIC #s are now based on 5,000 mile intervals? Mine seems to be on that type of a run-down since my first oil change. I'm at 39% in the DIC after having the oil changed around 4650. Current odometer is 7739. If you do the math, that means the DIC is telling me to change the oil at 5000 miles. 

I’m at 68% remaining, with 2376 on the odometer. This would indicate a 7500 mile interval. Though apparently the computer takes into account driving conditions also. I put 80 miles on it sitting on cruise on the highway, twice a day, 5 days a week. (~800 miles/week) Then there’s some short trips (1/2 to 1 mile) half a dozen times around the job site during the day. 

Gonna do my first change this weekend then follow the oil life indicator. Probably down to 10-15% or something. 

8 minutes ago, rfuilrez said:

I’m at 68% remaining, with 2376 on the odometer. This would indicate a 7500 mile interval. Though apparently the computer takes into account driving conditions also. I put 80 miles on it sitting on cruise on the highway, twice a day, 5 days a week. (~800 miles/week) Then there’s some short trips (1/2 to 1 mile) half a dozen times around the job site during the day. 

Gonna do my first change this weekend then follow the oil life indicator. Probably down to 10-15% or something. 

I put about 800 miles per MONTH on mine, ha! So 5K intervals is probably even a bit too prolonged. 

I don’t know. My other car is a 2008 BMW. It’s a 3.0L turbo in-line 6. the oil change interval on that is 15,000 miles. I didn’t do much more than that in a year (different job, before I needed a truck). I always just changed it every 6 months though due to poor driving conditions. Had an 8 minute commute to work. It’s also manual transmission with no start stop features. 

Not sure why the Europeans are ok with long oil change intervals and Americans are not. ?‍♂️

I am an Amsoil nut, I run it in everything.  I ran Mobil 1 until I did more research on Amsoil and tore a few engines down that ran Amsoil since day one.  I hate to sound old school, but if it looks dirty it comes out, even if it only has 3K mile on it.  The longest that I have ran their 25K mile oil is 10K miles on a road trip.  I am not rich, oil changes on these truck are near $100.00 doing it myself but $100.00 vs repairs or a rebuild is my way of justifying frequent oil changes.

• Like 1