X31 or not?

steve8

Looking at a 2020 SLT. Drove one without the X31 and curious peoples opinions of the ride difference between the two?

I would guess the non X31 rides slightly better?

Trying to figure out if it's worth it?

I know it's always get what you want but wondering opinions.

BTW, this is with the SLT premium package, and 5.3.

Edited by steve8

X31 / Z71 makes dual exhaust standard, and comes usually with the off road protection package - which includes all seat floor mats, wheel well liners, and spray in bedliner. 

The ride will be bouncier with the X31. The Rancho shocks they use on these are poor, IMO. I’ve compensated for this on my Z71 RST by running the rear tires at lower pressure, but I’m just waiting on Bilstein to release their 5100 shocks for the T1. 

the Eibachs are available and heard they are very similar to bilsteins 5100.....

so with Z71 you get : ranchos, A/T tires, wheel liners. bedliner, 2spd transfer, and skid plates?...$1800..no way to order it with TB ranchos even though those are maybe bit longer....I didn't need the 2 spd case or tires and didn't want shocks...so didn't make sense but if you need the 2 spd than I suppose there is no other way

saw a Z71 and it did look a hair taller than my my 4x4

Edited by Dunn

4 minutes ago, Dunn said:

the Eibachs are available and heard they are very similar to bilsteins 5100.....

so with Z71 you get : ranchos, A/T tires, wheel liners. bedliner, 2spd transfer, and skid plates?.....no way to order it with TB ranchos even though those are maybe bit longer

saw a Z71 and it did look a hair taller than my my 4x4

I’ve also heard good things about the Eibachs, but I do not believe they have a ride height adjustable front shock? 

Yeah, the Ranchos on the TB / AT4 are monotube. The X31 / Z71 Ranchos are twin tube. 

I do think the X31 / Z71 stands a hair taller, too. 

Edited by econometrics

20 minutes ago, econometrics said:

X31 / Z71 makes dual exhaust standard, and comes usually with the off road protection package - which includes all seat floor mats, wheel well liners, and spray in bedliner. 

The ride will be bouncier with the X31. The Rancho shocks they use on these are poor, IMO. I’ve compensated for this on my Z71 RST by running the rear tires at lower pressure, but I’m just waiting on Bilstein to release their 5100 shocks for the T1. 

Not sure about the Z71, but the X31 does not get you the bedliner, mats, or wheel well liners. Those are part of the SLT package.

X31 does get you AT tires, Duel exhaust outlets, and skid plates.

Edited by steve8

If looking at a 6.2, it makes less of a difference if you get the X31/Z71 because all 6.2 trucks get dual exhaust, two speed transfer case. Wheel liners are standard on SLT, and the bed liner can be ordered as an individual option, most have it anyway. Get whatever rides best for you in that case. If getting the 5.3, I think X31/Z71 is almost a must.

3 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

If looking at a 6.2, it makes less of a difference if you get the X31/Z71 because all 6.2 trucks get dual exhaust, two speed transfer case. Wheel liners are standard on SLT, and the bed liner can be ordered as an individual option, most have it anyway. Get whatever rides best for you in that case. If getting the 5.3, I think X31/Z71 is almost a must.

Why do you feel it is a must on 5.3? Transfer case?

GM doesn't have an equivilant model to chevy RST?....cuz they have dual exhuast

ah, only Z71 RST has dual exhaust I bet cuz mine doesn't and its RST

Edited by Dunn

Current 2020 orders:  (what X31 adds depends on trim level its added to)

X31 Off-Road Package, includes Off-Road suspension, (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) skid plates, (K47) high-capacity air filter and X31 hard badge

Base Sierra1 - Requires Crew Cab or Double Cab 4WD model, (Z82) Trailering Package and AT tires. Includes (G80) locking differential and (NQH) 2-speed transfer case.

SLE - Requires 4WD model, (Z82) Trailering Package and AT or MT tires. Includes (UHN) 18" 6-spoke machined aluminum wheels with Dark Grey Metallic accents, (XCK) 265/65R18SL all-terrain, blackwall tires, (G80) locking differential and (NQH) 2-speed Auto-Trac transfer case. Includes (N10) dual exhaust when (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine is ordered. Not available with (L3B) 2.7L Turbo engine, (NHT) Max Trailering Package or 22" LPO wheels. Upgradeable to (QDS) 265/65R18SL all-terrain, white outlined letter tires or (NZM) 20" Polished aluminum wheels with (QAE) 275/60R20SL all-terrain, blackwall tires.

Elevation - Requires 4WD model, (Z82) Trailering Package and AT tires. Includes (QAE) 275/60R20SL all-terrain, blackwall tires, (G80) locking differential and (NQH) 2-speed transfer case. Includes (N10) dual exhaust. Not available with (L3B) 2.7L Turbo engine, (NHT) Max Trailering Package or 22" LPO wheels.

SLT - Requires 4WD model, and AT tires. Includes (NQH) 2-speed transfer case, (XCK) 265/65R18SL all-terrain, blackwall tires, (N10) dual exhaust. Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package or 22" LPO wheels. Upgradeable to (NZM) 20" Polished aluminum wheels with (QAE) 275/60R20SL all-terrain, blackwall tires.s. 

Package not available on AT4 and Denali

Only available on AT4:

PCJ         Off-Road Performance Package, includes (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (PDM) Performance Upgrade Package, LPO, (R3O) LT275/65R18C MT blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires and (RT5) 18" machined aluminum with Dark Grey accents
1 - No tire and wheel substitutions allowed.

Edited by redwngr

38 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Dual exhaust. You want it, for sure. 

Yep, appearance wise it makes a big difference. Single speed transfer case may not be a big deal for most but I’m not a fan of that either. Seems unnatural on a full size truck. 

• Like 1

I overlooked the 2 speed transfer case and it’s frustrating to me. I’d get the X31 specifically for that reason. It’s not that big of a deal really, but I have no idea why GM would offer a 4WD option without it.

Ive heard the ride is worse, so I’d suggest just driving each and seeing if you notice a difference. If the 4L is not a big deal, go with the better ride. Dual exhaust and Bedliner can be had aftermarket for reasonable cost.