CAI and Exhaust.

The old way of thinking was that if you got either a CAI or an after market exhaust you were safe from having to tune. But if you got both, you "really should get a tune." With what I am reading about the new trucks, I have a 2020 Sierra with the 6.2l, not being tunable what are we to do. I have ordered the Gibson cat back and waiting for it to arrive. But I have been looking into getting a CAI, with as smart as the ECM's are these days and the Mass Air Flow sensor not being a simple piece of wire like they used to be and the ECM recalibrating all the time, will having a CAI and the exhaust cause issues? Thoughts? Anyone on here with the 19+ 6.2l have both and have any issues? Thank you.  

I have a 2019 - 6.2

The dealership installed both the Cat-Back exhaust and the Cold Air Intake for me, and I have had zero issues. In fact they told me some of the cost of the install was the fact they had to go adjust my computer settings after it was all done, so they calibrated it. As for doing it yourself, no idea what they calibrated so I can't help you there other than to say they did need to do something.

Edited by Taz56

Nothing needs to be done. Install the parts and drive it.

You can tune 2019 and 2020 trucks but it costs $1,900 just to start, not including the software and or some place doing it if they even want to.

Don't assume, ask a GM dealer if you are un-clear. They told me they did one, someone else says you don't need to. I can't say 100% but if they tuned mine it does need it.

Maybe it won't effect driving but maybe it does something in the background. Fuel wise, compression, air-flow, who knows. I am not going to tell you I know..... But honestly just ask GM. You can still do the work yourself.

Edited by Taz56

Well, I've had the GM catback basically since new, and a few months ago added the Roto-Fab intake. Been running this combo now for a few thousand miles. No check engine lights or drivability issues, and a mild performance improvement to boot. All on the original “tune”, of course.

The GM CAI comes with a MAF recalibration. None of the other intakes do, so which one you buy would dictate your tune or no tune. Personally, I think the GM CAI is ugly as a stump so that pretty much made my mind up. Beyond that, a member here also lost power on the dyno with it. May have been an isolated incident there but who knows. Either way it was too much money for it’s appearance.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Well, I've had the GM catback basically since new, and a few months ago added the Roto-Fab intake. Been running this combo now for a few thousand miles. No check engine lights or drivability issues, and a mild performance improvement to boot. All on the original “tune”, of course.

The GM CAI comes with a MAF recalibration. None of the other intakes do, so which one you buy would dictate your tune or no tune. Personally, I think the GM CAI is ugly as a stump so that pretty much made my mind up. Beyond that, a member here also lost power on the dyno with it. May have been an isolated incident there but who knows. Either way it was too much money for it’s appearance.

It's interesting how the GM catback exhaust claims a power increase of 7 hp and 4 ft lbs of torque on the 5.3 and doesn't require a recal and the GM CAI claims No power increase but "Adds visual appeal to your vehicle’s engine bay" but does requires a recal.

Planning on the same exhaust and intake upgrades for my truck.  The Roto-Fab looks very nice under the hood.

1 hour ago, Texasdeere said:

It's interesting how the GM catback exhaust claims a power increase of 7 hp and 4 ft lbs of torque on the 5.3 and doesn't require a recal and the GM CAI claims No power increase but "Adds visual appeal to your vehicle’s engine bay" but does requires a recal.

Planning on the same exhaust and intake upgrades for my truck.  The Roto-Fab looks very nice under the hood.

Check out the Volant. I had one on a F150 I use to have, won it in their monthly drawing as a matter of fact. Looked great sounded great too. I see they make them for the 2019+ 6.2L anyways already.

Edited by Londart2020

As another person said HP Tuners has cracked the ECM, it's roughly $1900 for ECM swap and software, and then to have a shop do a custom tune, say close to another $1000 ish... Gotta pay to play now days.  But as far as a CAI intake and exhaust... No custom tune is needed, I had both on mine within the first week.

• Thanks 1

The “tuning” done when the dealer installs an intake and exhaust or just an exhaust is GM’s reprogramming of the active noise cancellation.

From the dealer instruction manual:

10. If this exhaust kit is being installed on a 6.2 liter (L86) truck, there may be a calibration available for the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) to better match the sound of your new exhaust system. A custom calibration is available for all 6.2 light duty trucks with Bose stereo. A calibration is also available for the Crew Cab that is equipped with the base stereo. For trucks with the Double Cab and base stereo, the bast truck calibration is compatible.
Note: Reprogramming is done with a Service Programming System at an Authorized GM Dealer. When reprogramming, the GM dealer needs to call the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC). The TCSC will provide a Vehicle Configuration Index (VCI). The VCI is good for only one specific Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Call TCSC to obtain a VCI number. United States 1-888-337-1010 Canada (English) 1-800-828-6860 Canada (French) 1-800-503-3222. You must have the vehicle’s VIN that will be upgraded and the provided Authorization Code in Kit. No label will not be present in instructions included with the 5.3 exhaust kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is important to note in this conversation that not all CAIs are the same. Many variables including the size of the MAF sensor housing, airflow path through the duct, and countless other factors will determine whether a CAI requires a tune or not. When we develop a CAI system, we do not settle for a design that simply doesn't set a check engine light, we go a step further to optimize performance on the factory calibration. While our CAI doesn't require a tune, other systems may not have been refined to the same level as ours. We put over 10,000 miles of testing on our system to ensure you are getting the best performance possible!

We have quite a few customers who have installed our CAI and an aftermarket exhaust system on their factory calibration and love the combination!

45 minutes ago, Roto-fab said:

It is important to note in this conversation that not all CAIs are the same. Many variables including the size of the MAF sensor housing, airflow path through the duct, and countless other factors will determine whether a CAI requires a tune or not. When we develop a CAI system, we do not settle for a design that simply doesn't set a check engine light, we go a step further to optimize performance on the factory calibration. While our CAI doesn't require a tune, other systems may not have been refined to the same level as ours. We put over 10,000 miles of testing on our system to ensure you are getting the best performance possible!

We have quite a few customers who have installed our CAI and an aftermarket exhaust system on their factory calibration and love the combination!

You guys should put a discount code on here for the members of gm-trucks.com..?

• Like 1