Lifter tick...

Well, this is frustrating...what to do...

Truck runs fine...lifter will sometimes tick loud enough to hear it with the windows down and the next time it is non-existent. I'm kinda hoping it's a deposit issue and changing oil brands will clean it up...might try a bottle of AutoRX (if they still make it) and give that a whirl.

For now, I'm just going to drive it...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Ok, update time...

I've got a new toy that I've been driving more than the Silverado...so not many miles getting put on it at the moment. It's more fun to drive a 30 year old truck with a tractor engine...

For a little more background, I ran this truck for the first 25k or so on Mobil 1 5w30, then used up a couple 5 gallon pails of Schaeffer's 5w30 Series 9k, went back to Mobil 1 for a stretch, and recently was trying Miles SXR synthetic 5w30 (had good reviews, BITOG spoke highly of it, etc.) for about 15k miles. So the oil change mentioned above was back to Mobil 1 5w30 (I have it for the Equinox), and it was still tapping with the Mobil 1 initially. Fast forward probably 2500 miles and I'm back to normal: no tapping, no weird noises, nada.

For those interested, I did cut the filter apart, and it was clean...nothing in the pleats whatsoever.

My guess is the Miles was leaving a deposit that the lifters didn't like and by changing to Mobil 1 the detergents changed and removed that deposit and thereby eliminated that lifter tick. The Mobil is still clear/clean on the stick, so if it was a deposit; it wasn't much.

I've got another five gallons of Miles, I'll keep it for the OPE and keep the truck on Mobil or Schaeffer's (I'm going to be ordering stuff for my old truck from them, may go back to them for the Series 9k 5w30).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

Ok, so rising from the dead...

I've had this low RPM/idle tick a while now...I have 220k on the clock.

Just this week it has gotten louder (or maybe more annoying?). 

The only thing that changed recently (like last week) is that I went from Mobil 1 5w30 to Mobil full synthetic 5w30...I'm almost wondering if the viscosity is breaking down or just less with the full synthetic than the Mobil 1.  I'm going to try getting some Mobil 5w40 (like that European Car oil)...I'd try 5w40 diesel, but I don't want to take a chance of poisoning the cats (although I think Rotella is dual rate CI/SI)...

So it's still kicking...doesn't occur a anything about about 1200rpm, it just fades out and a quiet engine.

14 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Ok, so rising from the dead...

I've had this low RPM/idle tick a while now...I have 220k on the clock.

Just this week it has gotten louder (or maybe more annoying?). 

The only thing that changed recently (like last week) is that I went from Mobil 1 5w30 to Mobil full synthetic 5w30...I'm almost wondering if the viscosity is breaking down or just less with the full synthetic than the Mobil 1.  I'm going to try getting some Mobil 5w40 (like that European Car oil)...I'd try 5w40 diesel, but I don't want to take a chance of poisoning the cats (although I think Rotella is dual rate CI/SI)...

So it's still kicking...doesn't occur a anything about about 1200rpm, it just fades out and a quiet engine.

Oil pressure.  Have you tested it with an oil pressure gauge just to have a good idea what its making?

My guess based on the two 6.0s we've seen at work is all the lifters and guides and probably a new cam.  One was a 143k mi truck at work and I think it might have spun one in the bore and it wiped out the lobe it was on.  Another was a NYS Trooper 5.3 (AFM engine) that had a non AFM cylinder that wiped a lifter and lobe.  It would tick pretty good but once you spun it 2500+rpm you'd have sworn there wasn't a thing wrong with it.  Smooth and quiet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So ballpark, what would is cost to open this up and replace the cam/lifters?  I got a verbal quote, but it seems excessive and like they don't want it.

Probably do a oil pump and water pump at the same time...

Just got back from a 3600 mile run to Cheyenne and back, truck got 14mpg out pushing a headwind and 17mpg back...runs like a top.

Hard to say for sure because everyone labor rate is different but I bet a shop would charge $3500-4000 to do it based on the book time.

Anyone that has done a few of these engines could have it stripped down and ready to assemble again in less than 8 hours. Even less if you used power tools and everything came off clean.

I still say you have either a broken or loose stud or a cracked exhaust manifold.  If you dont have dark oil with some sparkles in it, your lifters are not coming apart, or wiping the cam.  If you loose a roller lifter the carnage is immediate.  A wiped cam lobe sound never goes away, and they run bad.

On 11/7/2023 at 4:50 PM, vucelick said:

I still say you have either a broken or loose stud or a cracked exhaust manifold.  If you dont have dark oil with some sparkles in it, your lifters are not coming apart, or wiping the cam.  If you loose a roller lifter the carnage is immediate.  A wiped cam lobe sound never goes away, and they run bad.

Can't be a manifold, both have been replaced (manifold, gaskets, donut seals, and bolts) with no change...

Lifters get weak, that's nothing new...

On 11/8/2023 at 6:18 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

Can't be a manifold, both have been replaced (manifold, gaskets, donut seals, and bolts) with no change...

Lifters get weak, that's nothing new...

Lifters get weak?  There is nothing to wear out.  They are hydraulic roller lifters, oil pressure keeps the piston cup inside the lifter pumped up.  There could be debris or an oil restriction keeping them from fully pressurizing, but that kind of contamination would show in your oil.   If a roller goes, it can ruin the cam, but it will put alot of metal into the oil, and will make a racket.  And the truck will run poorly.

Edited by vucelick

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an issue similar to this and changed my oil filter to the K&N filter (white one with the nut on bottom). After changing the noise went away. I found the Mobil 1 filter restricted the flow more than the K&N filter.