low oil level

Today I got a warning on the dash telling me that my oil level was low. This happened to me a couple times before. It seems to happen once I have around 30% oil life left. I had read that it could be caused by the cylinder deactivation so I bought that Range device. I put it on with my last oil change but it hasn't seemed to have helped. The dip stick is almost dry when I check the oil. I haven't seen any leaks. Any ideas?

Prob should keep an eye on it once a week. By the time it alerts you its 2 quarts low. From what I gather its the nature of these engines. It gets sucked in and burned out. For my truck it causes a rough idle. That's remedied by a good WOT...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Prob should keep an eye on it once a week. By the time it alerts you its 2 quarts low. From what I gather its the nature of these engines. It gets sucked in and burned out. For my truck it causes a rough idle. That's remedied by a good WOT...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I've heard oil consumption as a problem on pretty much every generation of GM small block V8 I have ever had, and seen it happen on my previous Vortecs and TBI 350.

Until the Ecotec. [emoji2369] But with my examples of the Ecotec 5.3, I use them nearly exclusively for highway cruising. I think that's what's keeping it alive and not burning any measurable amount of oil. I don't romp it unnecessarily, but I'll wind it to 3500 at least twice a day if not three times, then it lives at about 1800.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I've never seen one of these engines come into our shop for an oil change and not be low on oil. Some are pretty bad, some are only a quart low. But I've never seen one full or close to full (generally I'm talking 6,000 mile oil change intervals).  Myself, I use probably 3/4's a quart in 5,000 miles. I don't think that's too bad. 

12 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

KI guess I got lucky. My 6.2 doesnt use a drop in 6k mile intervals. 

If you are losing 2 qts in a couple thousand miles, then you need to be keeping and eye on your dipstick at every fuel fillup. Not waiting til the light comes on.

2 qts in couple thousand miles?  That is like FERD stuff......

14 hours ago, sballmann45 said:

Today I got a warning on the dash telling me that my oil level was low. This happened to me a couple times before. It seems to happen once I have around 30% oil life left. I had read that it could be caused by the cylinder deactivation so I bought that Range device. I put it on with my last oil change but it hasn't seemed to have helped. The dip stick is almost dry when I check the oil. I haven't seen any leaks. Any ideas?

spacer.png

Explain why you let it get so low.

:)

• Haha 1

How are you guys expecting that every. Single. Drop. Comes out of the engine?

Hold your old oil filter and your new one. The new one is lighter!

Residual left in the engine + residual in the filter = you never getting a "full" oil fill back out.

If you're missing less than a quart, this is probably what's going on.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

I’ve a few new Chevy small blocks. Never used oil. One used year old Z-28 in 95 used a qt every 2500 miles. One 99 Ford 4.6 used the same. As far as normal oil burners not so much. I’m just 64 so I’ve had a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive never owned a chevy that doesnt burn a quart per oil change. chevy said it was "normal" on the older LS series motors. probably the same for ours but ive never researched or cared about it. somehow the EPA allows chevy motors to burn oil and its not a problem?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sballmann45 said:

Image result for checking engine oil level

• Haha 2

None of my chevys have ever used oil. Guess I got lucky.... But I have read about these motors having an oil consumption issue, and we all know the previous gen had them too.

Hell, pretty much every manufacturer that uses any type of cylinder deactivation has issues with oil consumption. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g2full said:

None of my chevys have ever used oil. Guess I got lucky.... But I have read about these motors having an oil consumption issue, and we all know the previous gen had them too.

Hell, pretty much every manufacturer that uses any type of cylinder deactivation has issues with oil consumption. 

Really?  Not even the venerable 5.0 Coyote Ver.3 has cylinder deactivation and it come with a brand new Dipstick with new spacing of holes and cross hatched area to allow for 2qts of oil usage between changes!  Chevy small block?  GM V-8 any day, all day not sure why people bother with the other V-8's....

• Like 1

Really?  Not even the venerable 5.0 Coyote Ver.3 has cylinder deactivation and it come with a brand new Dipstick with new spacing of holes and cross hatched area to allow for 2qts of oil usage between changes!  Chevy small block?  GM V-8 any day, all day not sure why people bother with the other V-8's....

Simple, I would choose one without cylinder deactivation or stop start and any other Frankenstein device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1