Engine Oil brand

Not a problem. Even in my Toyota owner’s manual it’s addressed. Synthetic every 10K non synthetic every 5K. In your case I would stay with synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he meant switching between full synthetic brands, not between synthetic/non synthetic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think he meant switching between full synthetic brands, not between synthetic/non synthetic.

Did you read my last sentence? The point was no problem switching oils even synthetic to non synthetic. He got the point even if you didn’t.

I have dealer supplied oil changes for the first 40k miles, at 5k intervals, and the contract specifies full synthetic to be used by them.

I just am not gonna worry about it.  This entire debate is strictly academic for me.
Yep! Bottom line, Full synthetic as stated in your contract every 5000 miles and your truck will last as long as any other.

This is my preferred brand and type of oil, which I plan to use from now on... 

2040345732_2019-12-2210_50_39-FilippoBerioExtraVirginOliveOil.jpg.9bdf1e5f1704bf91661dedd36d2c6d77.jpg

At least your exhaust will smell & taste good! That's good stuff by the way..

Interesting article I found on Wirecutter:

Is there a difference between motor oil brands?

The fact is, there’s very little difference between brands of motor oil. Blackstone Laboratories has tested motor oil using inductive-coupled plasma spectrometry since 1985. We asked company president Ryan Stark if he’d seen any oils that perform consistently better or worse, based on his test results. “No. If you stick with a name brand oil, you really can’t go wrong. If you did a side by side test between two brands you might see a 1 or 2 parts per million difference in the metals in the results.”

Jim Morrissey, a junior automotive technical support engineer with Royal Purple, was candid when we asked him how a consumer could choose between two oils on a store shelf. “There are ways of determining a minimum standard, like the API certification, but when you’re dealing with a premium product, there really is no third party available to evaluate the product…Determining which is ‘the best’ can be nebulous.”

We also spoke with Bob Gugino, owner of Bison Automotive & Detail in Kenmore, New York, and a mechanic for 35 years. He told us, “As far as brand names, Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol, there’s not a whole lot of difference between them. They all make a lot of claims, that their oil is better at this or that, but they all have to meet a certain spec.”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Btw folks, modified and or lifted trucks require much more engine oil protection as the engine works harder with bigger tires and taller trucks so not only has GM said OCI’s are to be made sooner (5K miles) in stock trucks but it’s more extreme wear on our engines too. Just food for thought!

Sent from Above

So, If I have the truck geared to compensate for the tires, the engine still works harder?  Ooook.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, If I have the truck geared to compensate for the tires, the engine still works harder?  Ooook.  [emoji1787]

And exactly what energy is directed through your drivetrain to your oversized tires? Gears do not take stress away from the motor. Add 500#’s and gears will still not take the stress away from your motor, it’s only reconfigured and btw, I’ve never seen a re-geared truck not have higher RPM’s. [emoji6]

Sent from Above

Funny we used to use waste oil and grease for our diesels. We had the whole set up in our shop. Did it for years. In the crank case, not so much.

I’ve heard today’s steel is not as durable, motors are made much lighter versus years back requiring much more protective lubricants.

Sent from Above

I’ve heard today’s steel is not as durable, motors are made much lighter versus years back requiring much more protective lubricants.

Sent from Above

We used it for fuel. Our trucks smelled like French fries out the exhaust. We went years not buying much diesel.

• Like 1