Engine Oil brand

AFM issues...especially early model years...well no brand of oil is going to save a weak part and a poor design from itself, long term. Besides, in AFM’s first iteration we are talking years before the Dexos standard even existed. If the person wasn’t lying when they said dealer maintained...big if...for the first several years of their lives, those trucks still would not have seen even the crappiest version of a synthetic blend from a service center back then, let alone the fairly good oil they use today.  

Things change. I’m not advocating for 2007’s bulk dealer oil or even it’s OCIs. But today, the difference between dealer oil, other modern synthetics and Amsoil is not as great as it once was. And whether the value or benefit to Amsoil is still there, I don’t personally think so in this case.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

I agree with this! Not even Amsoil will save it from the failure. I'd venture also to say something that I don't think anyones brought up. I'm sure many more people use many other brands besides Amsoil so in the end, failure rates with other brands usage will be higher. Statistically that's how it works with anything. And I wonder if you did have Amsoil and you had a failure, how would GM handle it if they found out you used Amsoil? They don't have the Dexos certification so would you even be covered or would they reject it? I'd rather just use a Dexos approved oil and not worry. I see it this way, call it "good enough" if you want but if the manufacturer says it's OK, that's fine by me.

And one last thing, if you want to use Amsoil that's ok with me. Everyone buys and spends as they choose. I sometimes go overkill on many other things I buy and I feel good about it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So is there a definitive study that shows that just having more of those ingredients has resulted in better running engines, or engines with less problems?

I mean an actual study, using motors that were equal, and maintained equally, where the only difference was Amsoil vs Mobil1 or something comparable?

9 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

But today, the difference between dealer oil, other modern synthetics and Amsoil is not as great as it once was. 

Can you tell me which other 'modern synthetics' contain a minimum 20% Ester?

That is beside AMSOIL SS or Red Line HP.

I know of two others but neither will you find on the shelves of your favorite 'big box' stores nor on Amazon/E-bay. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just check the site, there are hundreds of pages of this subject, most times ending with fights between members (gets pretty funny along the way).

Rule of thumb, use something you are comfortable/familiar with, and try to use a Dexos compliant full synthetic, changing it around the 5000 mile mark and you will be fine.

Some trucks "use" a little, some a lot, some none, just kind of luck of the draw. The trucks have a two stage oil pump, so if it is around 20 PSI on your gauge at idle, you are fine. Mine runs around 40 at freeway speeds, heavy throttle and it gets up around 60. The engines take care of themselves while trying to be as efficient as possible.

This thread should have ended after this comment, lol. Also if you want a very long read on oil testing, check out https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
  • Like 1

Not looking to draw the discussion out or reopen any arguments but I have a stupid question: is there any risk with using a different oil at each changeout? The reason I ask is my dealership uses Mobil1 and they offer free oil changes for the first 5 years you own a vehicle purchased from them. However, that apparently only includes one oil change per year or every 10,000 miles. So, if I wanted to change my oil every 5000 miles but I also wanted to take advantage of that offer, would it be better for me to stick with Mobil1 at every oil change for the first 5 years or could I safely switch between, say, Mobil1 and Amsoil, for example?

• Like 1

Not looking to draw the discussion out or reopen any arguments but I have a stupid question: is there any risk with using a different oil at each changeout? The reason I ask is my dealership uses Mobil1 and they offer free oil changes for the first 5 years you own a vehicle purchased from them. However, that apparently only includes one oil change per year or every 10,000 miles. So, if I wanted to change my oil every 5000 miles but I also wanted to take advantage of that offer, would it be better for me to stick with Mobil1 at every oil change for the first 5 years or could I safely switch between, say, Mobil1 and Amsoil, for example?

Not a problem. Even in my Toyota owner’s manual it’s addressed. Synthetic every 10K non synthetic every 5K. In your case I would stay with synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You can easily switch to your hearts desire, just keep records of your OCI’s and you’ll be fine. Pay lots of attention to how your engine runs quieter while using 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series. Each manufacturer uses a certain amount of protective additives so please make sure to change your over the counter purchases in check at sooner rather than later. Also, GM has dropped recommended OCI’s from 7500 down to 5000k OCI’s, and for good reason too. The oil that just meets minimum requirements wears out much faster due to its lower protective additives. Good luck!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Not a problem. Even in my Toyota owner’s manual it’s addressed. Synthetic every 10K non synthetic every 5K. In your case I would stay with synthetic.

3 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

You can easily switch to your hearts desire, just keep records of your OCI’s and you’ll be fine. Pay lots of attention to how your engine runs quieter while using 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series. Each manufacturer uses a certain amount of protective additives so please make sure to change your over the counter purchases in check at sooner rather than later. Also, GM has dropped recommended OCI’s from 7500 down to 5000k OCI’s, and for good reason too. The oil that just meets minimum requirements wears out much faster due to its lower protective additives. Good luck!

Sent from Above

Thanks, guys. I suppose I could also ask the dealership if they'd use the oil of my choice if I supplied it, though at that point I may as well just stay home and change it myself. 

I should clarify that in either case, I'd be using 0W20 synthetic. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment
  • Like 1

Thanks, guys. I suppose I could also ask the dealership if they'd use the oil of my choice if I supplied it, though at that point I may as well just stay home and change it myself. 

Changing your self is a good idea. My under warranty vehicles I use the dealership. My toy I do myself. I have a good relationship with the dealers I use.

• Like 1

Yes but it's a Delco product made by someone else. It's not a licensed product. Big difference! It's approved and warranted by GM. Tons of parts on all vehicles that carry the manufacturers name and are made by someone else. Still warranted & approved for use by the manufacturer. Case in point, the original oil issue: It's Delco oil made by Mobil.  
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It’s specific to the customers request, not all OCI’s involve Mobil1 when brought into dealership. My dealer which a buddy owns flat out told me that Mobil1 is not the oil used in free oil changes, it’s a customer requesting full synthetic and then and ONLY then will it be Mobil1 otherwise it’s more like syntec oil, mostly made from base stock with very little additives, just enough to meet minimum requirements. Also, he told me that on high performance vehicles, they’ll be the ones that get the full synthetic OCI’s but the kick in the ass is: Both ONLY MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS! LMFAO!
Merry Christmas [emoji319][emoji320]

Sent from Above

I should clarify that in either case, I'd be using 0W20 synthetic. 

I only change my own oil, don’t trust anyone, to get the job done right you’ve got to do it yourself. Besides, my truck is lifted lol

0W20 Amsoil Dexos Specs
88e6efada1ea11248dbe1c86554a3306.plist

Sent from Above
  • Like 3

Btw folks, modified and or lifted trucks require much more engine oil protection as the engine works harder with bigger tires and taller trucks so not only has GM said OCI’s are to be made sooner (5K miles) in stock trucks but it’s more extreme wear on our engines too. Just food for thought!

Sent from Above

Can you tell me which other 'modern synthetics' contain a minimum 20% Ester?

That is beside AMSOIL SS or Red Line HP.

I know of two others but neither will you find on the shelves of your favorite 'big box' stores nor on Amazon/E-bay. 

NONE!

Amsoil Signature Series 0W20: $10 per quart with free delivery on $100 or more.

Here’s a smoking deal on Redline just not on delivery [emoji22]: https://autoplicity.com/504824-red-line-synthetic-motor-oil

Sent from Above