Engine Oil brand

I'm with you, like you say, it's consistency. Stick to frequent oil changes and your good. It's worked forever that way and it's no different today. Today it's all about marketing. I do tend to stick to a name brand and would only purchase Dexos approved though but that's just me. I wont knock anyone for using a no brand oil. Each person can use what they want. One thing I will guarantee you though is that I will never buy the Amsoil. Plenty of cheaper name brand oils for less that I'm sure will do the same job and the Amsoil is non Dexos.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Everyone is entitled to their requirements but one thing is for certain, if Amsoil has a cheap purchase price as all the others then we wouldn’t be talking about it and everyone would be cutting down Mobil1 etc etc.

Additives are what makes one oil better than the other, not the amount spent on gimmicky commercials. Being consistent on your OCI’s is the key but now that GM has lowered the mileage on their OCI’s it’s sooner rather than later on the OCI’s.

Nothing wrong with over the counter oil, as long as you know “what” you’re buying and being consistent then kudos to everyone. Buying oil is like buying paint, wear additives make all the difference. Look up independent lab results and see who’s got the highest wear protection additives and cleaners in their oil, The End!

Sent from Above

I am glad so many are willing to settle for good enough aka 2nd best.    Don't be adding bigger tires, a engine tune or performance exhaust.  The way it came from GM is good enough. 

• Like 2

You get a hog yesterday?

I am gonna do that soon... got plenty of guns ideal for that...  A .300Blk pistol AR I think is what I will use, with a .44 Mag as a backup in case I have to climb a tree...  haha

No, it rained a bit yesterday and I’m still a bit jet lagged and just shot steel targets out with my new Q-Thunder Chicken that I’ve waited almost a year on. Ran my Barrett 300 BlkOut, flawless [emoji6]

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

I am glad so many are willing to settle for good enough aka 2nd best.    Don't be adding bigger tires, a engine tune or performance exhaust.  The way it came from GM is good enough. 

Stock is always considered until you realize that is not going to be as functional as lifted, then better tires and dint forget recalibrating for tires which then full engine tune etc etc etc lol [emoji13]

Sent from Above

It’s all pretty much all true as mentioned mostly. I worked on the extreme side of the equation. Few a few dollars more I’m going to be protected. My heavy equipment on the ROWs were able to double the hours between oil changes. Tested, yes. Savings yes. My pulling trucks maximum RPMs, lower running temps higher oil pressure, extended oil changes, yes. Amsoil in our hydraulics saves many expensive pumps and motors with the change. Lowered hydraulic temps. There’re may be others just as good, I didn’t need to find out. It’s been a long time working, I proved it to hundreds of customers for their own good. Funny thing I could have made more money by not passing on the info to my customers. So as it goes good enough probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine oil wise it came from GM with Mobil 1. I really dont think that's second best or just good enough. Their are plenty of good oils that fall into #1 territory if you read different analysis that have been done. Get a Dexos name brand oil and your up there with #1. Thousands of lifted and modified trucks out there with hundreds of thousands of miles to prove it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Fyi, did not come from GM with Mobil 1. 

It is! They change dependant on volume deals they purchase every few years. From 2015-present from factory they've been using Delco branded. It's repackaged Mobil 1 full synthetic made for GM by Mobil.  Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk  

ExxonMobil is definitely a manufacturer/ supplier of the AC Delco oil, if not the only one. Impossible to know if the AC Delco is the exact same stuff as Mobil One, or the lesser Mobil Super (unless someone here ponies up for a VOA on each oil). It may be it’s own formula as well.

But either way, it comes in the same exact bottle as other Mobil products, so we know it’s made by them.

FF38919C-AEA2-4D85-9C71-FC8CE92ACF62.thumb.jpeg.95179da53c7f1a954efcc4efb7c2a589.jpeg7C601E46-190F-4E87-B1A8-96E8303A6C78.thumb.jpeg.eda94a6ccb36135e40b7bd9ae4bd0470.jpeg

• Like 1

The oem oil comes from the lowest bidder. You cannot assume its Mobil 1. 

Starting with 2011 vehicle production, GM no longer specifies Mobil 1® as the required oil for the above vehicles. A new oil specification called Dexos I has been created, which a variety of synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils meet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, elcamino said:

Starting with 2011 vehicle production, GM no longer specifies Mobil 1® as the required oil for the above vehicles. A new oil specification called Dexos I has been created, which a variety of synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils meet.

Nobody is assuming. this has been confirmed by different people who deal with GM internally. Not just here but on other forums. Your quote from GM simply states that Mobil1 is no longer the required oil because in 2011 they started with the Dexos certification. This doesn't apply to the OEM factory oil. They are telling you this for when you do oil changes. Your replacement oil should be Dexos approved according to GM and not specifically Mobil. They did this because oil manufactures pay for that designation. Smart move on their part to make money. But the factory oil is most definitely a Mobil product. By the way, I've never used Mobil and probably never will. I'm just posting that the factory oil is Mobil. Reason being, because before your first oil change it's a good idea to have a quart handy of the same oil for intermittent refilling until you do the first oil change (I have one on hand). The purpose of the information is for new truck owners (like me, I have 2200 miles). I assume you have gone past a first oil change on your 2017 so this fact doesn't apply to you anyways.