Engine Oil brand

7 hours ago, Blong7328 said:

What brands of engine oil every one is using out there. Does any one have to add any in between oil changes and what oil pressure does your truck run at idle and operating at normal driving speeds.

Just check the site, there are hundreds of pages of this subject, most times ending with fights between members (gets pretty funny along the way).

Rule of thumb, use something you are comfortable/familiar with, and try to use a Dexos compliant full synthetic, changing it around the 5000 mile mark and you will be fine.

Some trucks "use" a little, some a lot, some none, just kind of luck of the draw. The trucks have a two stage oil pump, so if it is around 20 PSI on your gauge at idle, you are fine. Mine runs around 40 at freeway speeds, heavy throttle and it gets up around 60. The engines take care of themselves while trying to be as efficient as possible.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2

Amsoil is definitely the best but as long as you are consistent with your oci’s and don’t go past 4-5K miles on the cheaper oils you’ll be fine. I use Amsoil signature series and nothing else but you should first and always buy what you can afford in order to be on time with your oci’s along with a great filter too.

Sent from Above

• Like 2

For Diesels either Delvac 1 or AMSOIL .     Gas engines Mobil 1 or AMSOIL.      Been using them for 37 yrs with no engine failures.

For my diesels it was always Rotella T6 and then switched to Amsoil, both are excellent oils.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fuelie said:

Amsoil  oil and filter for me. I never have a problem with low oil level, I check it constantly.

If you become a member on the site you can get the oil for $10/quart.

Tom

$80 per oil change?!  Mobil 1 is more than good enough and it's a lot less expensive.

• Like 1

$80 per oil change?!  Mobil 1 is more than good enough and it's a lot less expensive.

That’s cause it only meets minimum requirements, doesn’t exceed them and no where near the protection that Amsoil gives.

Buy what you can afford and don’t do extended oci’s with the cheaper oil cause it breaks down much faster than Amsoil.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

Approx cost for Amsoil oil and filter:

$80 for 8 quarts

$15 for the Amsoil Oil filter, $10 Wix XP oil filter , both will capture down to 20 microns of dirt, now that’s superior protection.

$90- $95.00 and that’s if you do it yourself.

Mobil1 changed every 3-4K miles will be sufficient.

Sent from Above

There are multiple levels of Amsoil with Signature Series being the #1. There’s also the Amsoil XL which is cheaper than Mobil1 Annual protection with a bit more protection for approx $7 per quart. Both are from 100% Synthetic stocks and then there’s Amsoil OE same protection as standard Full Synthetics for approx $5 per quart

Sent from Above