Upfitter switches

30 minutes ago, Mi99z71 said:

did you have to cut the hole? Or was the switch mounted and you had to run the wires?

I’m not sure what the person did that you asked, but I bought the kit from Pegasus above. His truck came with the kit, but not installed. When he shipped it to me it came with a new bolster that had the switch hole cut out. Unfortunately the new bolster was for a truck with push to start, which my truck does not have. I didn’t want to have a big empty hole in the panel where the push to start button would go so I used the measurements from that panel to cut the hole in my existing panel. Turned out perfect and looks factory. I would assume that they offer two different panels, one with push to start, and one without. 

If someone needs one I have the extra one with the the push to start option. 

On 12/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, Kevin Monaghan said:

Just finished the install, took about 9 hours going slow and figuring how it all comes apart. Mine was missing the red hardware bag and the battery stud kit  (bulletin#147) https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1143/UI Bulletin_147 Snow Plow power provisions_V2b.pdf  Probably when the dealer took it out of the back seat pre- delivery thinking it was left in there by mistake during assembly.

I wanted to clarify on your install for other people that have to do this. Did you install the VYU plow package wiring harness, and the upfitter  Switch harness? Is that what took 9 hours? 

The dealership is responsible for installing the VYU plow package wiring harness at no charge. That should be the bulk of the time, and the biggest pain. 

I installed the upfitter switches, and had maybe 1.5 hours total in it. Only had to run the wire from the fuses  on top of the battery to the switch panel inside the truck. Two screws to mount the upfitter fuse block, and plug a few things in. 

I did not install the plow harness. I had to do everything else related to the upfitter bulletin. All my parts were loose in the back seat including a new knee bolster with the switches installed. The hardest part was removing the old knee bolster. The time was in taking care not to damage anything else and figuring how things came apart. If I had to do it again, maybe 2-3 hours.

34 minutes ago, Kevin Monaghan said:

I did not install the plow harness. I had to do everything else related to the upfitter bulletin. All my parts were loose in the back seat including a new knee bolster with the switches installed. The hardest part was removing the old knee bolster. The time was in taking care not to damage anything else and figuring how things came apart. If I had to do it again, maybe 2-3 hours.

Gotcha. So that was the same as I installed. I did give up on removing the bolster when I realized that the new one had the hole for push to start which I don’t have. So I ended up cutting my existing panel in place, which took about 10 minutes. It would be nice to see a breakdown of how the interior comes apart. From what it looked like (and you mentioned, most of the dash had to come apart to get to that. ? I liked the old trucks that you could have most of the dash apart in about 15 minutes. 

Just had mine installed, they are nice!  Dealer had no clue how to install it what these were even for but I was able to walk them through it with the upfitter bulletin. Have a couple light bars and some other accessories plan on wiring in, nice to have factory switches! 

B69AC058-E688-431F-9051-36545FE5E6E6.jpeg

E7AE2B28-64A2-4477-ADC8-8B88EA2E2070.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, rblanch said:

I just received my 2020 AT4 with upfitter switches that I ordered from the factory. On the window sticker it says purchaser responsible for the install. When I asked the salesman if the dealership could install it he said he would ck. Long story short they installed it for me without making a big deal over it and didn't charge me for it. I bet if you would push your salesman you could get the dealership to install it for free. Also just a tip I didn't know about the switches can be set up to work when the ignition is on or off just by switching the fuse location.

Wondering where you found out about switching the fuse location to change switches to work with battery on or off?  Interested in this and couldn’t figure out how to do it. Thanks! 

391C52A3-D0B4-4167-9181-03107DF86E4C.jpeg

8 hours ago, 2k19Sierra said:

Wondering where you found out about switching the fuse location to change switches to work with battery on or off?  Interested in this and couldn’t figure out how to do it. Thanks! 

I didn’t try it on mine, as they were hot all the time, which is what I wanted. From the quick look I took while installing it because I heard that you have that option, I think you can move the 2 five amp fuses to the left (in your picture) 1/2 a fuse space. I think there are 3 contacts for each fuse. But that is just a guess. 

2 hours ago, LSX Z28 said:

I didn’t try it on mine, as they were hot all the time, which is what I wanted. From the quick look I took while installing it because I heard that you have that option, I think you can move the 2 five amp fuses to the left (in your picture) 1/2 a fuse space. I think there are 3 contacts for each fuse. But that is just a guess. 

Awesome thanks I’ll give that a try!

15 hours ago, 2k19Sierra said:

I figured it out by looking at the wiring diagram. If you pull out the orange looking fuse and move it toward the relays and push it back in the relays will only energies when the ignition is on. One fuse is for sw 1 and 2 and one is for sw 3-5

1 hour ago, Anthony Greco said:

My truck arrived with the switch mounted and no wires connected from the assembly line. 

Mounting the switches is the hardest/longest part. Is the little fuse panel for it mounted? Did you get a bag of parts?

1 hour ago, rblanch said:

I figured it out by looking at the wiring diagram. If you pull out the orange looking fuse and move it toward the relays and push it back in the relays will only energies when the ignition is on. One fuse is for sw 1 and 2 and one is for sw 3-5

Awesome thanks going to try this now!

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, Skeld said:

My buddy has one of these trucks he just picked up on Tuesday.  He has snow plow prep but doesn't have upfitter switches.  Anyone know how you're supposed to switch the strobe in that case?

Have him read this:  https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1329/UI%20Bulletin_157.pdf

• 1 month later...

I’m happy to report that my 2020 Black-on-Black GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC LB 4WD "L8T” Gas truck was delivery on 02/14/2020 with Upfitter Switches Factory installed.

• Like 3