When did you do your first oil change?

1st: 1000

2nd: 3000

3rd: 5000

Now, preferably every 4K miles but realistically every 4-5K miles with Amsoil 0w20 Signature series and along with an excellent 20-22 micron capturing oil filter.

Sent from Above

Whenever the dealer says it is due.  I have 8 oil changes at 5k intervals included with the new truck...  So I just follow whatever the dealer recommends while its under warranty.

For bikes, I am the opposite.  First oil change by 250 miles, then again at 1000 miles and then every 2,000 miles or a track day, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

Yes you did. Miss it. But hey, IDK. Do as you please. Will not hurt my equipment one bit.

Sounds like you don't know anything about me.

:crackup: 

You have no idea what you just told me about yourself.

:idiot:

Yea, I don't do irrational or argue just to argue.

:seeya:

Got to ask the Oil Guru/wizard, I’m thinking of adding Redline, maybe 2quarts. You think I’d have even more added protection than what Amsoil SS doing??? 6 Amsoil and 2 Redline.

Also, was Redline bought out????

Sent from Above

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Got to ask the Oil Guru/wizard, I’m thinking of adding Redline, maybe 2quarts. You think I’d have even more added protection than what Amsoil SS doing??? 6 Amsoil and 2 Redline.

Also, was Redline bought out????

Yes Red Line was bought by Conoco/Phillips.

API SN-PLUS has a minimum spec for physicals and additives. On occasion it may have a maximum spec if such a spec results in some property they are looking for such as LSPI abatement. The PLUS in the SN-PLUS.  Yet if you do virgin oil testing you will find a wide variation in additive levels. And yet every oil with that label meets the API standard. Makes you wonder, right?

Perception is key in marketing. Are you old enough to remember when Tide Detergent advertised "New and Improved" after removing TSP from its formula? It was new. A new formula. It was improved. From the standpoint of the environment but it was hardly a better cleaner. It was all perception. 

The word "Protection" when it comes to motor oil is getting the same runaround. And brother is the word craft is crafty. First you have to determine what aspect of protection is being addressed and then in what why. 

One oil claims 75% more protection than.....what does that mean?

Common sense will tell you that there isn't an additive in the world that can prevent SURFACE to SURFACE contact in the boundary layer lubrication regime. Zinc, Phosphate, Boron, Titanium do not prevent contact. They prevent damage from contact by offering a thin layer of sacrificial material. The API SN spec contains a minimum level of such additives to meet those requirement. So what's up. Once that spec is met more isn't more in the sense they intend you to believe it is. It's a math thing. Test 100 oils that meet the API SN-PLUS spec and you will obtain a UNIVERSAL AVERAGE. This oils claims are based on additive levels 75% higher than that universal spec. So if not more load then what?

More time? Additives are consumed over time so 'more' in this case means it last longer which BTW is their claim to fame, is it not?  (how they are consumed is a different topic). 

So to answer your question about the blend I'd have to ask first what you mean by protection? Truthfully, no matter what your definition is, the difference would be without distinction. That's not a waffle, that's a fact. 

Yes Red Line was bought by Conoco/Phillips.

API SN-PLUS has a minimum spec for physicals and additives. On occasion it may have a maximum spec if such a spec results in some property they are looking for such as LSPI abatement. The PLUS in the SN-PLUS.  Yet if you do virgin oil testing you will find a wide variation in additive levels. And yet every oil with that label meets the API standard. Makes you wonder, right?

Perception is key in marketing. Are you old enough to remember when Tide Detergent advertised "New and Improved" after removing TSP from its formula? It was new. A new formula. It was improved. From the standpoint of the environment but it was hardly a better cleaner. It was all perception. 

The word "Protection" when it comes to motor oil is getting the same runaround. And brother is the word craft is crafty. First you have to determine what aspect of protection is being addressed and then in what why. 

One oil claims 75% more protection than.....what does that mean?

Common sense will tell you that there isn't an additive in the world that can prevent SURFACE to SURFACE contact in the boundary layer lubrication regime. Zinc, Phosphate, Boron, Titanium do not prevent contact. They prevent damage from contact by offering a thin layer of sacrificial material. The API SN spec contains a minimum level of such additives to meet those requirement. So what's up. Once that spec is met more isn't more in the sense they intend you to believe it is. It's a math thing. Test 100 oils that meet the API SN-PLUS spec and you will obtain a UNIVERSAL AVERAGE. This oils claims are based on additive levels 75% higher than that universal spec. So if not more load then what?

More time? Additives are consumed over time so 'more' in this case means it last longer which BTW is their claim to fame, is it not?  (how they are consumed is a different topic). 

So to answer your question about the blend I'd have to ask first what you mean by protection? Truthfully, no matter what your definition is, the difference would be without distinction. That's not a waffle, that's a fact. 

I’ll just stick with Amsoil lol. Merry Christmas [emoji320][emoji319]

Sent from Above

About 750 miles

I went Friday to the dealer for the recalls and the advisor goes it looks like you are due for your first oil change (was at 5400 miles). I was like nah I have done 2 already he looked shocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The dealership I bought mine from sounded embarrassed when he told me that they "still" recommended changing oil every 3000 miles. The dealership I actually use for maintenance refuse to do the first service until the OLM is at 25% or less which I've just hit after 5600 miles so I'll probably get mine changed when I book it in for the current recalls.

Edited by Spoogle

12 hours ago, Spoogle said:

The dealership I bought mine from sounded embarrassed when he told me that they "still" recommended changing oil every 3000 miles. The dealership I actually use for maintenance refuse to do the first service until the OLM is at 25% or less which I've just hit after 5600 miles so I'll probably get mine changed when I book it in for the current recalls.

Doesn't GM recommend OCIs of 5000 miles now? 

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Doesn't GM recommend OCIs of 5000 miles now? 

Nope, the owner’s manual doesn’t specify a mileage. Everything goes through the OLM system, provided you don’t go more than a year on an oil change.

The first maintenance on their schedule is 7500, and even that one just lists checking the oil.

Perhaps the people who have been saying GM wants 5000mi can cite a better source than the 2019 owner’s manual...otherwise I have to assume the whole thing is made up like much of the other crap in the past few oil threads. 

Engine Oil Life System

When To Change Engine Oil

This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

On some vehicles, when the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on to indicate that an oil change is necessary. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 mi). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might indicate that an oil change is not necessary for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and, at this time, the system must be reset. For vehicles without the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOONmessage, an oil change is needed when the REMAINING OIL LIFE percentage is near 0%. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly over the course of an oil drain interval and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

• Thanks 1