When did you do your first oil change?

On 12/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, blazerk5drew said:

On my 14 5.3 I peeled out of the dealer lot with 100 miles on it and didn't change the oil until it was over 7k miles.   Beat the pants off of it for 100k miles and just traded it in for my SLT 6.2 back in June.   I don't think changing break-in oil is much of a thing anymore.  I have always ran Amsoil SS even though I bet cheaper oil could have produced similar results.  Bottom line:  Check your oil level!  All DI engines burn oil even if some guy says he ran for 12k miles and didn't burn a drop.  Secondly, change your oil at some reasonable interval (Not 3k miles and not 30k miles.)  Lastly I would say just use some reasonable quality oil.   That being said, I changed the oil in the new truck at 1100 miles.  I hope your are genuinely confused now.

Never are two thoughts going to be more disconnected that those two.

:crackup:

Sort of like: 

Because I drove home drunk for forty years and never had an wreck, drunk driving and wrecking your truck are a think of the past. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I never changed oil early the first time. Didn’t have time, especially my pulling 3/4 - 1 tons gas or diesels. Usually they got broken in on the first pull. When they had the first oil change Amsoil went in. Then every 25K later up to my 14 GMC. Wouldn’t do extended on the Frankenstein cylinder deactivation vehicles. That would include about 60 trucks in the family business and personal vehicles. Until they went synthetic in transmissions we did those Amsoil too. If we had a failure in all those years we’d changed the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, blazerk5drew said:

Beat the pants off of it for 100k miles and just traded it in for my SLT 6.2 back in June.   

For this guy, he could have just checked that it was full and likely made it to 100,000 miles. Point being expectations. His are LOW. 

Always change when the DIC tells me too. Most miles I’ve gone was 150k on a Chevy Avalanche before selling it and never had any issues changing whenever the oil life % was ~5%. It’s always amusing to see how the average forum member seems to know better than the thousands of engineers who developed these vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Never are two thoughts going to be more disconnected that those two.

Sort of like: 

Because I drove home drunk for forty years and never had an wreck, drunk driving and wrecking your truck are a think of the past. 

You are so upset by this that you had to reply with nonsense twice?  The point is it probably wont matter for most people when they do the first oil change.  It used to be a recommendation from manufactures back in the day when I worked at a shop.  We would regularly clear 300k miles on vehicles that never had any break in oil changes or shortened intervals.  This is back when it was recycled citgo dino oil as well on a 7.5k interval.  

On 12/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

For this guy, he could have just checked that it was full and likely made it to 100,000 miles. Point being expectations. His are LOW. 

100k is not any expectation.  Just a point of reference.  Just how much of this have you made up in your own mind?

100k is not any expectation.  Just a point of reference.  Just how much of this have you made up in your own mind?

This guy convinced me that the DI, cylinder deactivation engines needed earlier oil changes a couple years ago. I was extended on everything. Funny thing happen here recently GM lower their oil change recommendations to what he suggested. Years later. Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

This guy convinced me that the DI, cylinder deactivation engines needed earlier oil changes a couple years ago. I was extended on everything. Funny thing happen here recently GM lower their oil change recommendations to what he suggested. Years later. Go figure.

I used blackstone labratories to adjust my intervals.  The happy and conservative place for my 5.3 was around 7500 miles and 0% on the Oil life.  I stuck with that approximate interval for the time I owned it.  I would like to note that this truck spent a significant time using e85 which, although burns fairly clean, can mess with oil pH.  Aside from the oil smelling line corn liquor, it never had any noticeable impact on oil quality.   It was nice to actually know.  Check out the report below.  Blackstone is good stuff.  I also remember when manufacturers said 3k miles for intervals or every~ 9 gas fill ups! 

14 SILVERADO-111215.pdf

7 hours ago, blazerk5drew said:

That is a very low point of reference to be setting the bar at. It would indeed be hard to fail clearing such a low hurdle if you did absolutely nothing PM wise. Tis the point. 

4 hours ago, blazerk5drew said:

I used blackstone labratories to adjust my intervals. 

14 SILVERADO-111215.pdf 17.32 kB · 5 downloads

What are you basing your interval on? Wear metals? I don't see a TAN or TBN. Nitration test? I also don't see an ISO 4406/2017 cleanliness test result. Even a patch test which you could do yourself. Do you have a virgin sample to compare physicals with? 

"Universal Averages". Think about those words and what they mean. 

Tracking wear metals is like bending a raw spaghetti straw to see how much it will bow before it breaks. You have to cross the line to know where it is. It can't show an abnormal result until something abnormal happens.

Ops!!! To late.

Just how much of this have you made up in your own mind? 

Nothing. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
Rephrase
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That is a very low point of reference to be setting the bar at. It would indeed be hard to fail clearing such a low hurdle if you did absolutely nothing PM wise. Tis the point. 

What are you basing your interval on? Wear metals? I don't see a TAN or TBN. Nitration test? I also don't see an ISO 4406/2017 cleanliness test result. Even a patch test which you could do yourself. Do you have a virgin sample to compare physicals with? 

"Universal Averages". Think about those words and what they mean. 

Tracking wear metals is like bending a raw spaghetti straw to see how much it will bow before it breaks. You have to cross the line to know where it is. It can't show an abnormal result until something abnormal happens.

Ops!!! To late.

Just how much of this have you made up in your own mind? 

Nothing. 

I set no bar, you did.  Oh don't worry there are other reports somewhere back in my inbox or deleted folder from some 3+ years ago.  This is just one of them.  7500 interval was established based partially on the advisement from yes, lab analysis.   They also make recommendations.  Total Base Number was established on prior reports and also again when I had an isolated lead spike at some 60+k miles.  Sounds like you are more an oil expert than anyone on the forum or lab.  So what is your honest opinion? Must have missed it above.  Any further analysis or effort suggest that the time and effort are not worth it.  Just wait for the engine to blow up and replace with a 800$ junk yard heap and you would be money ahead.  Now I see why they call you Grumpy.  Well, you call you Grumpy.?

3 hours ago, blazerk5drew said:

I set no bar, you did.  Oh don't worry there are other reports somewhere back in my inbox or deleted folder from some 3+ years ago.  This is just one of them.  7500 interval was established based partially on the advisement from yes, lab analysis.   They also make recommendations.  Total Base Number was established on prior reports and also again when I had an isolated lead spike at some 60+k miles.  Sounds like you are more an oil expert than anyone on the forum or lab.  So what is your honest opinion? Must have missed it above.  Any further analysis or effort suggest that the time and effort are not worth it.  Just wait for the engine to blow up and replace with a 800$ junk yard heap and you would be money ahead.  Now I see why they call you Grumpy.  Well, you call you Grumpy.?

Yes you did. Miss it. But hey, IDK. Do as you please. Will not hurt my equipment one bit.

Sounds like you don't know anything about me.

You have no idea what you just told me about yourself.

:idiot:

Yea, I don't do irrational or argue just to argue.

:seeya: