16k miles and now I'm angry...

27 minutes ago, Donstar said:

You're correct that you need to do something if you are experiencing brake failure.  If you haven't followed the "Customer Satisfaction Procedure" found in your owners' manual (Sec13-1?) then this needs to be your next step.  Be persistent, polite and keep notes.  Make sure your notes are factual c/w time and date of conversations.

Your earlier comments suggest that you had previous unpleasant experiences with "GM".   They are a huge company with many practices and policies in place to guard against false claims.  My first hand experience is that following each step will get you to the next.    If you are legitimately frightened  to drive your truck, and your dealer won't provide a loaner, then find interim transportation.  Keep receipts.  Driving a vehicle that your legitimately afraid of is something you have control over.  

Already went through step with my first issue with my motor knocking.  GM was the worst company I have ever dealt with in terms of customer service. 

1 hour ago, ct_corey said:

Already went through step with my first issue with my motor knocking.  GM was the worst company I have ever dealt with in terms of customer service. 

Sorry to hear.  I had a long struggle with my '09 oil drinker but the system worked in my situation.   You mention that you've tried trading it in on another brand.  Why not try trading it in on a GM product?  It would be hard for them to not give you a fair market trade-in value for your truck.  Switching brands isn't going to guarantee a trouble-free truck or future service experience.  Problems with my '09 didn't discourage me from buying my '15 and I'm glad that it didn't.  I believe my truck is proving to be the most dependable and trouble free truck that I've owned.  I believe this is representative of most GM truck owners.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, Donstar said:

The brake thing sounds scary,   I'm wondering if the brakes worked but had no power assist.  There was a time when power assisted brakes were an option.  (There is a huge difference in effort required with a full sized truck.)    The other option when brakes "fail"  is to use the e - brake.  Some people call it the parking brake  but I remember it as the "emergency" brake.

There was a time when the parking brake could function as a cable operated emergency brake for the thick lining rear shoes. But that was in the day of drum rear drum brakes where it shared same full sized shoes as the hydraulic system. I even knew of someone who used it for a while as the primary brake when the his single master cylinder hydraulics crapped out.

But with 4 wheel discs, the rear 12-14" rotors and disc pads are designed for primary stopping and the 4-5" drum portion incorporated in the center uses miniature brake shoes with vapor thin linings as a cable operated parking brake. And the reason we went to disc brakes was because the drum brakes were never really good anyway and dangerous when wet. So the parking pedal or button is not an effective emergency brake and in a true emergency situation I'd use the precious time for steering or side swiping my way out instead of first going for the button or pedal which can actually throw you into an uncontrolled skid.  Rely on that to stop and the next stop may be a concrete condo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thomcat said:

There was a time when the parking brake could function as a cable operated emergency brake for the thick lining rear shoes. But that was in the day of drum rear drum brakes where it shared same full sized shoes as the hydraulic system. I even knew of someone who used it for a while as the primary brake when the his single master cylinder hydraulics crapped out.

But with 4 wheel discs, the rear 12-14" rotors and disc pads are designed for primary stopping and the 4-5" drum portion incorporated in the center uses miniature brake shoes with vapor thin linings as a cable operated parking brake. And the reason we went to disc brakes was because the drum brakes were never really good anyway and dangerous when wet. So the parking pedal or button is not an effective emergency brake and in a true emergency situation I'd use the precious time for steering or side swiping my way out instead of first going for the button or pedal which can actually throw you into an uncontrolled skid.  Rely on that to stop and the next stop may be a concrete condo.

I don't think the T1s use the drum within a disk system any more. They have the ZF EPB now I believe.  It does away with the cable and foot lever. The button activates an actuator and presses the pads together on the disk. I'd hit the button and steer as it has to be a better option than just coasting to a stop or put the truck in park. Unfortunately when this happens  most all people are not thinking of the parking/emergency brake as they never use it in the first place.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Donstar said:

Sorry to hear.  I had a long struggle with my '09 oil drinker but the system worked in my situation.   You mention that you've tried trading it in on another brand.  Why not try trading it in on a GM product?  It would be hard for them to not give you a fair market trade-in value for your truck.  Switching brands isn't going to guarantee a trouble-free truck or future service experience.  Problems with my '09 didn't discourage me from buying my '15 and I'm glad that it didn't.  I believe my truck is proving to be the most dependable and trouble free truck that I've owned.  I believe this is representative of most GM truck owners.

After my 16 being a shaker and now this I could never see myself buying another Gm product ever again. 

ct_corey

After my 16 being a shaker and now this I could never see myself buying another Gm product ever again. 

Good Luck

It's the chance you take with every manufactrer.

:)

Update #1:

Well truck is at the dealer they noted all concerns and were very nice and professional.   I guess we will see how things develope over the next few days... 

*side note:  Silverado to an Equinox is a huge change in space and comfort. 

On 11/19/2019 at 12:06 PM, ct_corey said:

Warranties are worthless when GM cant fix 90% of the problems posted here. 

Confirmation bias. They sell nearly 1M trucks a year. If 50 people posted here with a problem, it would seem like the end of the world to most readers, but in actuality would be less than a drop in the bucket.

8 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Confirmation bias. They sell nearly 1M trucks a year. If 50 people posted here with a problem, it would seem like the end of the world to most readers, but in actuality would be less than a drop in the bucket.

Yes but that compounds the fact on how awful GM is a as a company.  Such a small amount of people with big issues, you would  think GM would take care of them after spending 50k. There are people that literally within 1000 miles, lost brakes,  have motor issues etc.... and had there truck sit at the dealer for 30 plus days with no support from GM. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:31 PM, Thomcat said:

On 11/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

I don't think the T1s use the drum within a disk system any more. They have the ZF EPB now I believe.  It does away with the cable and foot lever. The button activates an actuator and presses the pads together on the disk. I'd hit the button and steer as it has to be a better option than just coasting to a stop or put the truck in park. Unfortunately when this happens  most all people are not thinking of the parking/emergency brake as they never use it in the first place.

I was thinking about this more and got to wondering: given that the e-brake in these trucks is smart enough to automatically disengage when you first start driving, what are the odds that it won't actually do anything if you hit the button while you're moving? 

46 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

given that the e-brake in these trucks

I don't think that GM considers them e brakes, clearly call them a park brake. I doubt that the brake would engage while vehicle is in motion.

• Like 2

Stay away from 1st model years. I have nothing but problems with my 2014 Silverado and my 2015 Sierra has been great. I know its nice to be the first guy on the block with a new one but the headaches down the road are not worth it. My 2014 sometimes when coasting into town the AFM will try to kick in and all of a sudden it downshifts to 2nd gear locking up the rear end screeching the tires (or fishtailing in winter). This could kill me or someone else easily, GM replaced the TEHCM in the trans 3 times. I have told them over and over its AFM related and they cant figure it out. Drive in M5 (no afm) and its perfectly fine, wont do it. 

You don't want to mess around with bad brakes, easiest way to get hurt in a vehicle. I hope you get your issues sorted out, my bro's F150 5.0L has had its share of issues and 2019 Ram is apparently even worse. They are too computerized now, all module/software/hardware problems. Too many features and creature comforts, epa rules, etc have made them the most expensive vehicles ever, which also happen to be the biggest pos's ever. 

• Like 1