Overheating while towing

could be a problem with the thermostat, or radiator fins aren't clean, or you've put some bling up front that reduces airflow through the rad, or some of the ducting up front is missing (that directs air to the radiators), or water pump isn't pushing enough water (problem with the impeller in the pump)

• Like 1

Flush the cooling system. Remove the T stat housing and really flush it out. If you tow a lot, you can use a 160 T-stat, which works well, and engine still runs in closed loop.

I would also upgrade the stock transmission cooler to one twice the size ( easy with grill off)

As talked about above, make sure the radiator is clean. If you are towing in areas with high altitude, you need all the air you can get. Confirm the thermostat is fully opening, and check water pump pressure and radiator cap. If the cap is failing you will not maintain a properly cooling system. 

Thanks for the responses. No bling added to my truck, its as stock as can be. It doesn't have and issue with temperature unless towing uphill. I took my grill off about a month ago and cleaned off the radiator and condenser with compressed air... didn't make a difference though. I'm having to pull over sooner and sooner to let it cool off. I've reached in and tried spinning the fan and it seems really tight and barely spins. I will test some of the above mentioned and see if that helps.

You need to check the fan clutch while hot. You tube has several videos. Basically at idle, take a rolled up newspaper and slowly advance it into the fan. It should resist stopping. I've seen clutches seem to perform correctly until this test

1 hour ago, txab said:

You need to check the fan clutch while hot. You tube has several videos. Basically at idle, take a rolled up newspaper and slowly advance it into the fan. It should resist stopping. I've seen clutches seem to perform correctly until this test

Ok. I will test it out tomorrow. Thanks

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, txab said:

I took the truck for a drive and let it heat up to operating temperature. I did the test and had no change in fan speed. The newspaper didn't effect it.

• 7 months later...

In the process of replacing radiator, fan clutch, water pump etc. Here is the fan-side of the radiator. Quite a bit of smashed fins. Do you think that is enough to cause my overheating issue? The pics don't really do it justice either.  I'm replacing it anyways, just wanted some reassurance that I'm heading down the right path.

rad 2.jpg

45 minutes ago, Cascade Venturer said:

In the process of replacing radiator, fan clutch, water pump etc. Here is the fan-side of the radiator. Quite a bit of smashed fins. Do you think that is enough to cause my overheating issue? The pics don't really do it justice either.  I'm replacing it anyways, just wanted some reassurance that I'm heading down the right path.

rad 2.jpg

Sure can.  Probably wore out inside too.  Same with condenser.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I took the stack apart last spring> I noticed the air "holes" in the intercooler are larger the the radiator. This causes debris to pass through the intercooler and get caught in front of the radiator.

After cleaning radiator of gunk and dead bugs, I noticed the transmission a lot cooler when towing a 7,000 pound trailer all the way to Key West in early July.