New Recall

I just picked up my 2020 AT4 yesterday and couldn’t take it home until they did this.  Was disturbing seeing the steps they had to go thru to do it (salesman brought me back to see the truck as the tech was working on it)

16 hours ago, Stacy Springer said:

Took my truck in today for it's first oil change and now GM is holding it hostage waiting on a part to arrive for the following recall.

Recall Title:

Seatbelt Pretensioner Fire

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2019 – 2020 model-year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles and in certain 2020 model-year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles built with carpet floor covering (RPO B30). In certain crashes that cause the front seatbelt pretensioners to deploy, the exhaust from the deployed pretensioner may be diverted through an opening in the pretensioner bracket and ignite cotton fibers in the carpet floor near the B-pillar. Following a crash that causes the seatbelt pretensioner to deploy, a fire may develop in the area near the B-pillar, which may increase the risk of injury.

Better safe then sorry but man this sucks.

Thank you for posting this. What an odd little problem with a part I never knew existed.

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

The F150s have had the same recall for a few years now, I believe. 

That is correct, back in 2018. Almost the exact same thing. 

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/09/06/ford-issues-safety-recall-in-north-america-for-select-2015-18-fo.html

I've never heard of them holding a truck hostage, unless it was new one, in which case you can't take delivery until the recall has been completed. Mine needs an oil change here in the next week or two, guess I better plant to get a ride back home to pick up my other vehicle instead of waiting on it. :sigh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveCZ said:

I just picked up my 2020 AT4 yesterday and couldn’t take it home until they did this.  Was disturbing seeing the steps they had to go thru to do it (salesman brought me back to see the truck as the tech was working on it)

Well fill us in!

Created an account just to chime in here since im a tech doing these recalls.

The parts your waiting for are two rivets and a roll of foil tape.

We put a rivet in the hole of the bracket to block the gases from being forced toward the carpet. We then are to apply two 15 inch strips of foil tape to the edge of the carpet near the B pillar. 

The plastic on these trucks are super cheap and more than one tech is having issues with the retainer clip mounting posts tearing away from the pillar molding. While not a huge deal just know that these trucks are being torn apart and essentially broken before being delivered. 

Its also considered a federal offense to knowingly avoid doing this recall or sending a truck out without having it performed.

I'm a huge gm fan but these recalls are getting ridiculous.

Edited by CDIZZY
Missing info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

That is correct, back in 2018. Almost the exact same thing. 

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/09/06/ford-issues-safety-recall-in-north-america-for-select-2015-18-fo.html

I've never heard of them holding a truck hostage, unless it was new one, in which case you can't take delivery until the recall has been completed. Mine needs an oil change here in the next week or two, guess I better plant to get a ride back home to pick up my other vehicle instead of waiting on it. :sigh:

We cant let any effected vehicle return to use until the recall is performed. It would be a federal offense.

The bulletin was released on 11-14-19 and repairs started on the 15th at my dealer. Supposedly GM pre- shipped the parts starting on the 11th.

N192270600 - Safety Recall - Seatbelt Pretensioner Fire
Updated Date:Nov 14, 2019 17:45 CT

GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS

DCS5216

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date:       November 14, 2019

Subject:   N192270600 - Safety Recall

Seatbelt Pretensioner Fire

Models:   2019-2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (New Model)

2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500

2019-2020 GMC Sierra 1500 (New Model)

2020 GMC Sierra 2500/3500

Equipped with Carpet Floor Covering (RPO B30)

To:          All General Motors Dealers

General Motors is releasing Safety Recall N192270600 today.  The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 554,588.  Please see the attached bulletin for details. 

Edited by CDIZZY
Fixed info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CDIZZY said:

While not a huge deal just know that these trucks are being torn apart and essentially broken before being delivered.  

Why is this not a huge deal?  That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.  I saw the recall but haven't been in yet.