2019 versus 2020 differences

mlee

54 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I had a 2007 new-gen GMT 900 for 12 years. I don't think I even put $1000 into that thing, and that was all just oil and fluid changes. 

My 2019 RST has been completely issue-free after 10 months and 6600 miles. 

I realize there's a stigma to a new model year, and some people do have issues with theirs - especially the earliest production models (e.g. the leaking rear windows or oil line failures). However, I think the majority of first model year owners never have problems outside of the normal vehicle issues. My experience with 2 new-model-year trucks bears this out. YMMV, of course. 

This ^ My 14 hasn't had a lick of problem and this truck has put in work over 70k miles, towing, hauling and off road in places it probably shouldn't have been. The whole first year problems thing in a myth. If anything is found bad later they will do a recall or TSB to replace, the big thing I think people get confused is added features later. Most first year vehicles don't have more problems than a second, third, etc year model. Buy what you like and enjoy. 

Tyler

• Like 1

Price is the significant difference, imo.  You'll find far better deals on the remaining '19's.  You'll pay substantially more for a '20 with minimal improvements.  However, the '20 is a second model year which is a plus for some and the '20 will always be one year newer!  I'd pick the '20!

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

In an AT4 you’re really just looking at:

10 speed now standard with 5.3

Adaptive cruise (Optional)

Optional Tech package now also includes trailer camera provisions, as well as BedView camera

Revised infotainment with XM360L

If the 2019 you’re looking at is a loaded up 6.2 and is NOT an early build truck, I’m not sure the 2020 tweaks would be enough to swing me over, but I guess money talks.

I'm in the process of ordering a 2020 Silverado and I can't seem to find any 5.3 with the 10 speed transmission. Maybe I need to look again but on a double cab the only way to get the 10 speed is going to the 6.2 isn't it?

16 hours ago, econometrics said:

The DIC display is slightly different on the 2020s, but it’s marginal. 

One change that I think is a negative is removing the lock buttons on the rear doors. The 2019s have them on all 4 doors. The 2020 only on the front doors. ??

My 2020 has lock buttons on all 4 doors. 

Love the adaptive cruise and the cameras are great.

1 hour ago, mcgee500 said:

I'm in the process of ordering a 2020 Silverado and I can't seem to find any 5.3 with the 10 speed transmission. Maybe I need to look again but on a double cab the only way to get the 10 speed is going to the 6.2 isn't it?

Looks that way on configurator - go up to Crew Cab and there are a few trims with 5.3/10

There’s also the 3.0 Diesel that will be coming out.

I sorta wanted to go that route but I was in need of a newer truck that was going to handle the 24’ travel trailer we bought in the summer.  Wanted to get into something newer/better before we take any trips next spring and the incentives/discounts on the 2019’s were excellent!  I also got a good deal on my truck since it was a manager’s demo!

I’m sure buying a 2020 Truck in the spring would’ve cost a lot more!

The 2007 Silverado 1500 I had was getting a little tired, some things weren’t working any more like the  A/C, cruise control and the shocks/front end were worn out.

I went with a 2019 Sierra with the Max Trailering option.  Anticipating it’ll handle my trailer much better than my old truck did.  Trailer is parked for the winter so haven’t tried it out yet.

I wanted the diesel for the mileage and torque but they still seem to be working out the bugs and I got great deal on the Sierra I bought.

Does anyone know if they’ll offer the Max Trailering option on the diesels?

It’s the 5.3l, 8 speed combo and so far so good with 12,000 km on it.  Can’t wait to see how it handles my trailer then I’ll definitely report back.

Edited by madconcept

3 hours ago, mcgee500 said:

On the Chevy side, the 10 speed/ 5.3 combo is only available on LT Trail Boss and 4WD High Country. 2WD HC still has the 8 speed.

Since neither the LT Trail Boss or High Country are available as a double cab, you’re going to be limited to just the 6.2 and 3.0 having the 10 speed in that cab config.

1 hour ago, madconcept said:

Does anyone know if they’ll offer the Max Trailering option on the diesels?

Allegedly this is in the works, possible even with a 3.73 rear end that was slated for the “diesel off road package“. Hope that’s true. Initially the DMAX wasn’t appealing to me at all but I have to say the economy and decent performance are starting to intrigue me. Just don’t want to throw my hat into the ring for a couple years in case it’s a piece of junk...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

On the Chevy side, the 10 speed/ 5.3 combo is only available on LT Trail Boss and 4WD High Country. 2WD HC still has the 8 speed.

Since neither the LT Trail Boss or High Country are available as a double cab, you’re going to be limited to just the 6.2 and 3.0 having the 10 speed in that cab config.

Allegedly this is in the works, possible even with a 3.73 rear end that was slated for the “diesel off road package“. Hope that’s true. Initially the DMAX wasn’t appealing to me at all but I have to say the economy and decent performance are starting to intrigue me. Just don’t want to throw my hat into the ring for a couple years in case it’s a piece of junk...

The new 3.0 Dmax sounds good on paper with the torque and fuel economy!

But I’m not a fan of all the emissions bullshit!
I also tend to do a lot of short trips daily as I live reasonably close to where I work and make short trips between job sites during the day, which I know isn’t great for diesels.

I’m sure the diesel would be incredibly awesome for the road trips with the family, gear and travel trailer though.

There’s also the fact that it’s also a completely brand new engine and I know they need to work out the bugs.

....yes I know my 2019 5.3 has the new DFM system but fingers crossed it’ll be reliable.  My 07 5.3 had the new AFM system at the time and there weren’t any issues besides a bit of oil burning right before my oil changes were due.

Edited by madconcept
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Thomcat said:

If they also removed a double pull on the door handle to open a locked door, that would be a real problem.

My 2020 SLT still has the double pull feature. Built 8/19

21 hours ago, econometrics said:

The DIC display is slightly different on the 2020s, but it’s marginal. 

One change that I think is a negative is removing the lock buttons on the rear doors. The 2019s have them on all 4 doors. The 2020 only on the front doors. ??

My 2020 SLT has the lock button on all 4 doors. Built 8/19

48 minutes ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

My 2020 SLT has the lock button on all 4 doors. Built 8/19

Think only the lower trims lost the back two buttons for 2020. A 2020 RST I saw on the showroom floor didn’t have them. By the way, is that not the most “GM” thing ever?!? Scrimping and saving on a few buttons. Geez. This is why people trash them...?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Think only the lower trims lost the back two buttons for 2020. A 2020 RST I saw on the showroom floor didn’t have them. By the way, is that not the most “GM” thing ever?!? Scrimping and saving on a few buttons. Geez. This is why people trash them...?

Totally agree. Glad I have a 2019 RST with all 4. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

For the at4s specifically, they retuned the suspension, is supposedly much smoother and less likely for the tail end to kick out over certain kinds of bumps/holes.

If what I read is true, they retuned the suspension on all 2020s, not just the AT4s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

If what I read is true, they retuned the suspension on all 2020s, not just the AT4s.

This is true, a member here confirmed via checking part numbers on the leaf springs of various 2020s. All different numbers so far...

• Like 1