Protection Against SALT

MacLaren

With winter coming on, I'm trying to decide the best way to protect my truck from that nasty salt.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Amsoil HD Metal Protector. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've heard that fluid film might better used for an older truck that already has rust, because ff, after applied to a new GM, will cause the wax and everything to come off, leaving bare metal when sprayed with water. 

I buy a case of fluid film with the big extension hose. Pull the rubber plugs out of the bottom of the rockers, door jambs, etc...fog those and put the plugs back in. Fluid film the inside lips of the wheel wells too. 

For the frame, Daubert Chemical NOX Rust X-121B is the factory coating, so I bought a case of that years ago and just touch up any surface rust. Usually just on the sharp edges and where the lift pads hit the frame after service.

I would be very hesitant to spray anything else over the frame wax, most of the solvent based stuff will eat it right off and you’ll be in worse shape than before. My 2016 frame looked like new when I traded it and if maintained it should for a long time.

Frequent washing and underbody flush helps too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I buy a case of fluid film with the big extension hose. Pull the rubber plugs out of the bottom of the rockers, door jambs, etc...fog those and put the plugs back in. Fluid film the inside lips of the wheel wells too. 

For the frame, Daubert Chemical NOX Rust X-121B is the factory coating, so I bought a case of that years ago and just touch up any surface rust. Usually just on the sharp edges and where the lift pads hit the frame after service.

I would be very hesitant to spray anything else over the frame wax, most of the solvent based stuff will eat it right off and you’ll be in worse shape than before. My 2016 frame looked like new when I traded it and if maintained it should for a long time.

Frequent washing and underbody flush helps too.

Thanx man.  I appreciate your help.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

This is some of the best info I have gotten on the forum. Thank you so much! A trip to the dealer, and two calls to GM couldn't get me this info.

• Like 1

Nox Rust 121B (factory frame coating) SDS:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/daubert-assets/res/pdf/SDS/Nox-Rust X-121B (Aerosol) SDS US.pdf

Amsoil HD Metal Protector SDS:

https://www.amsoil.com/msds/amh.pdf

Both products have the same CAS number listed as the top ingredient. I’m no chemist but we all know that “like dissolves like”....

I would say knock yourself out doing the floorboards and other painted parts with whatever product you choose. On the frame, I think there is reason to believe the Amsoil spray will soften and loosen the OEM frame coating just as people have reported Fluid Film to do. 

• Thanks 1

I use “Corrosion Free” made in Canada.  Great stuff.  It’s oil based and clear.  No dripping, fairly thick.  I like that it’s clear and not black so you can see underneath it and see if any rust has formed.  Doesn’t trap or hide rust like a undercoat might.  The Canadian military did a study and tested a few corrosion inhibitors and this product came out on top.  They have a website and I think they ship to the US.  

• Like 1