How to engage locker?

mistaare

2 hours ago, mistaare said:

So if both wheels are spinning then the locker is engaged? The one time I definitely had both wheels spinning and just wasn’t going anywhere (until I put it in 4wd hi). 

I'm pretty sure you can get both rear wheels spinning without engaging the locker if you are on ice/mud/snow.

I can clearly hear & feel when mine grabs. I often drive around in the snow in 2HI and fishtail for fun and it does not grab most of the time on the road. Its more for when you are stuck and one wheel is not moving, while the other spins freely. It operates all by itself and there isn't much you need to worry about. If you are stuck and both rear wheels are spinning, then you need 4HI.

They engage with any throttle input until one day they quit because you got on it to hard and they break the pawl or the cam ramp teeth.  The 9.5" is stronger so it just takes a few more times than the 8.6" one did lol.  My buddies 14 was a one tire fire when he traded it off a couple weeks ago with around 80000 miles on it... is what it is where we work as they engage a lot.

Edited by SierraHD17

For 2019/2020 1500

G80         Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
On Base sierra - Required with (L82) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine when (Z82) Trailering Package is ordered.
On SLE - Required with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine when (Z82) Trailering Package is ordered. Required with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine. Included with, (X31) X31 Off-Road Package or (PDU) SLE Value Package.
On Elevation - Required with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine when (Z82) Trailering Package is ordered or with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine. Included with (PDE) Elevation Value Package or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package. 

On SLT/AT4?Denali - Standard

Edited by redwngr

This axle and differential have been around for a long time, you have to do something pretty brutal to break it.  Heck, the Detroit Locker is one of the toughest differentials on the market.  Those things sound like the rear end fell out when they lock and unlock.  Very loud bang.  With that said, I prefer a button and an electric locker without any override from the safety police.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I'm pretty sure you can get both rear wheels spinning without engaging the locker if you are on ice/mud/snow.

Ugh. 

“If you are stuck and both rear wheels are spinning, then you need 4HI“

Yeah, that’s what I have been doing. But my last truck, I would do the same thing until eventually my right front and left rear tire would just sit there and spin while I would not move. 

I just want to know if or when it’s engaged before I get to “sit and spin” ?

13 minutes ago, mistaare said:

Ugh. 

“If you are stuck and both rear wheels are spinning, then you need 4HI“

Yeah, that’s what I have been doing. But my last truck, I would do the same thing until eventually my right front and left rear tire would just sit there and spin while I would not move. 

I just want to know if or when it’s engaged before I get to “sit and spin” ?

I'm not sure what you want from us. You will know if it engages because you can hear/feel the clunk.

One time I got stuck because I high centered my plow mount on the pile and I had all 4 wheels spinning on the ice. I needed to dump a bunch of sand to re-gain traction. The G80 locker isn't a be-all end-all. It just helps when you have 1 wheel slipping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

This axle and differential have been around for a long time, you have to do something pretty brutal to break it.  Heck, the Detroit Locker is one of the toughest differentials on the market.  Those things sound like the rear end fell out when they lock and unlock.  Very loud bang.  With that said, I prefer a button and an electric locker without any override from the safety police.

No they don't.. I have 4 trucks with Detroitsin them and soon to be 5 as I don't run gov locks.  I could give you the keys to my 2017 2500HD without telling you it is equipped with a Detroit Locker and you wouldn't know the difference.  That's how not harsh they are..

Gov locks are full of little teeth and small moving parts that don't take kindly to shock load like locking up while you are spinning.  And they aren't a locker anyhow... still rely on clutch packs between the side gears and the carrier to stop movement when the cam plate ramps to the locked position.  They are just wedged more firmly lol.  

It's GM's compromise since 1973 and it's good enough for most pavement pounders.

Edited by SierraHD17

23 hours ago, mistaare said:

If I understand correctly,  if the rear wheels are spinning the locker will self engage right? Do you have to be in 4wd lo for it to engage? 

I have had the rear wheels spinning twice now and neither time did it feel like the rear wheels were locked, once in 2wd once in 4wd high. Both times climbing a muddy hill crawling. 

A lot of people don't understand how the G80 works if your stuck DONT go mashing the gas and spin the sliping tire fast you have to let the spinning tire turn slowly then it will engage.

People that blow up the G80 clearly abuse them doing doughnuts, power braking to smoke the tires etc then call them junk there's nothing wrong with the G80 if you know how to use it. I use to mud run with my 87 Silverado 1/2 ton running 42" Super Swampers 10" lift kit and never blew one.

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

A lot of people don't understand how the G80 works if your stuck DONT go mashing the gas and spin the sliping tire fast you have to let the spinning tire turn slowly then it will engage.

thanks man. This is the kind of info I’m looking for. 

is there a difference between just having both wheels spinning and when the locker is engaged? I imagine there wouldn’t be, like I said earlier, I’m used to getting stuck with f/r open diff’s and really curious to see if having the rear end locked will make much of a difference in slick mud. I don’t go mudding or rock crawling just gathering firewood in some really slick, sloppy, off chambered, steep areas. I can’t imagine it would until I get some more aggressive tires. 

I definitely appreciate all feedback. 

Lol... GM doesn't send a how to with their G80 and never has.  Eaton publishes lots of them though. If you can drive a truck with a 28 spline 10 bolt and 42s "mudding" it's a wet gravel road.

If it rarely engages and you don't shock load it too hard it will work forever.   The problem is when you start to get stuck then jab the gas to get the tires moving and it tries to grab is when they can break.  If you can feather the throttle all the time and never need wheel speed you weren't really stuck in the first place.  That's more of a flexing in a ditch and lifting a tire situation where yes you feather it, it locks and off you go.  Same as you guys on a boat ramp where you start to spin out... let off... let it lock and try again.  Put on good tires.... don't slam on the throttle for any wheel speed and it will do what it's supposed to. 

I personally can't stand how they operate and their shortfalls of disengaging at speed so into the metal bin it goes.

Edited by SierraHD17

15 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

No they don't.. I have 4 trucks with Detroitsin them and soon to be 5 as I don't run gov locks.  I could give you the keys to my 2017 2500HD without telling you it is equipped with a Detroit Locker and you wouldn't know the difference.  That's how not harsh they are..

Gov locks are full of little teeth and small moving parts that don't take kindly to shock load like locking up while you are spinning.  And they aren't a locker anyhow... still rely on clutch packs between the side gears and the carrier to stop movement when the cam plate ramps to the locked position.  They are just wedged more firmly lol.  

It's GM's compromise since 1973 and it's good enough for most pavement pounders.

I am interested in how you quieted them down.  I use Amsoil gear oil and my ring / pinion lash is properly set.  I have had many in the last 35 years of builds.  I found them to be almost as strong as a spool but due to back lash in the design, noisy especially with a manual transmission.  There is about ¼ driveshaft turn of play between acceleration and deceleration.  I am currently using two in Mustangs.  With that said I do not know anyone that ever broke one they are basically maintenance free. 

1 hour ago, fatwhiteboy said:

I am interested in how you quieted them down.  I use Amsoil gear oil and my ring / pinion lash is properly set.  I have had many in the last 35 years of builds.  I found them to be almost as strong as a spool but due to back lash in the design, noisy especially with a manual transmission.  There is about ¼ driveshaft turn of play between acceleration and deceleration.  I am currently using two in Mustangs.  With that said I do not know anyone that ever broke one they are basically maintenance free. 

Installed them... that's it lol.  Manual transmission and a locker is terrible and leads to excessive noise and weird handling as it loads and unloads constantly.... I run a spool in my drag car.  Drags the tire on turns a bit but it's good enough on the street.

Edited by SierraHD17