Before & After T1XX Sport Bar Trail Boss

Thank you for this post. I am trying to decide if I should mount the sport bar on mine or sell it. I think I like it but very few others seem to appreciate the look. I wish I could install it without drilling the bed rails but haven’t figured out how to fab a clamp that will look and function OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, N.Penley said:

Thank you for this post. I am trying to decide if I should mount the sport bar on mine or sell it. I think I like it but very few others seem to appreciate the look. I wish I could install it without drilling the bed rails but haven’t figured out how to fab a clamp that will look and function OK.

Welcome!  Yep, the plastic does have to be drilled, but if you decide to not have it there later, there are a few options.  But I would double check from the underside of the bed rails that there might be holes there already at least in the metal?  I say that because the holes in the metal on my bed rails are so perfectly round, I think they were not drilled but stamped that way at the factory.  The holes in the plastic cover on the bed rail those were drilled.  But here are a couple options if you install and later remove, even if your removal is temporary or permanent.

1) can use these black, plastic 1/2" hole plugs - https://www.widgetco.com/hole-covers-plugs-1-2-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sbwrt-65QIVBoeGCh0LjQlWEAQYASABEgJixfD_BwE

2) replace the bed rail plastic covers altogether with new ones, once parts are listed online they are usually $40 per side

3) could also just put the 2 bolts per side from the Sport Bar, back into the holes without the sport bar there.

Edited by Doolin-Dalton

I had three Avalanches so I installed the sports bar on my '16; not only because I missed the look, but the lights came in handy off road. Always was an eye catcher when another Silverado passed.

.02  Bought the '19 with it in the appearance package option.... I like the look......imparts more of a heavy duty SUV look......adds a nice flow to the DC cab/body....... without it, just looks like any other ordinary notch back pickup truck. Even Ford has copied the look as an option on their higher end trucks.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1

Welcome!  Yep, the plastic does have to be drilled, but if you decide to not have it there later, there are a few options.  But I would double check from the underside of the bed rails that there might be holes there already at least in the metal?  I say that because the holes in the metal on my bed rails are so perfectly round, I think they were not drilled but stamped that way at the factory.  The holes in the plastic cover on the bed rail those were drilled.  But here are a couple options if you install and later remove, even if your removal is temporary or permanent.

1) can use these black, plastic 1/2" hole plugs - https://www.widgetco.com/hole-covers-plugs-1-2-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sbwrt-65QIVBoeGCh0LjQlWEAQYASABEgJixfD_BwE
2) replace the bed rail plastic covers altogether with new ones, once parts are listed online they are usually $40 per side
3) could also just put the 2 bolts per side from the Sport Bar, back into the holes without the sport bar there.

Thank you. All good points.

• 2 weeks later...

1) can use these black, plastic 1/2" hole plugs

Thank you for the advice. I finally looked and there are holes pre drilled. WIN! I am now planning to install the bar for a while to see how I like it and get it out of the shop floor. Between this bar and the hardtop for the wife’s Jeep most of my floor space has been occupied.