Selling my SPORT BAR

Howdy all, if anyone is interested I'm selling my SPORT BAR.  This is OEM dealer installed from the 2019 Silverado 1500  "Off Road Appearance Package"    I am asking only $599.00 O.B.O    GM sells these for $900, and the Off Road Package is $2,495.  It is very simple installation, 15 mins or less.  I have added a few photos so you can see where and how the wiring hooks up.   All mounting hardware is included, which is the 6 Bolts and 2 Brackets.  Available for pick-up, or I can deliver it for FREE - anywhere within 100 miles of Fredericksburg, Virginia.    Please PM me if you'd like to buy it.  Can use your VISA/MC via PayPal. 

6.JPG

1.jpg

2.JPG

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

Before selling it better check the operation of the remaining CMHSL located on the roof of the cab.

I had installed a sports bar on my '16, dealer cut me a 10% discount for $900, actually cheaper than the $860 on-line because it would cost $178 to ship. Problem was on the install the truck bed didn't (doesn't) come with the prewired harness, this secondary harness provided with the sports bar had to be routed and connected to the engine fuse box requiring separation and removal of pins from the bottom of the fuse block and insertion of pins from the harness....the heck with that........a fuse tap on the CMHSL fuse works just as well.

The reason I mention is the pin substitution is already done at the factory thus removal of the pin for powering the roof CMHSL and substituting the one from the sports bar harness. I checked the operation of the OEM sports bar on my '19 and the original roof CMHSL has been deactivated at the factory and only the one on the sports bar is active. If so, with the sports bar removed you no longer have a powered CMHSL on the truck and you'll be a candidate for a ticket and flunk at safety  inspection time with no easy way to power the stock CMHSL or if it even has one inside  to correct..

Edited by Thomcat
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Before selling it better check the operation of the remaining CMHSL located on the roof of the cab.

I had installed a sports bar on my '16, dealer cut me a 10% discount for $900, actually cheaper than the $860 on-line because it would cost $178 to ship. Problem was on the install the truck bed didn't (doesn't) come with the prewired harness, this secondary harness provided with the sports bar had to be routed and connected to the engine fuse box requiring separation and removal of pins from the bottom of the fuse block and insertion of pins from the harness....the heck with that........a fuse tap on the CMHSL fuse works just as well.

The reason I mention is the pin substitution is already done at the factory thus removal of the pin for powering the roof CMHSL and substituting the one from the sports bar harness. I checked the operation of the OEM sports bar on my '19 and the original roof CMHSL has been deactivated at the factory and only the one on the sports bar is active. If so, with the sports bar removed you no longer have a powered CMHSL on the truck and you'll be a candidate for a ticket and flunk at safety  inspection time with no easy way to power the stock CMHSL or if it even has one inside  to correct..

Thanks I appreciate this insight. I don't really want to sell it (my wife didn't want me keeping it in the basement, but maybe I will)  I do see where they sell wiring harnesses for the 3rd brake light CMHSL, I might try to connect that to the port under my cab where I disconnected the Sport Bar wiring, and fish it up to the CMHSL if need be....

• 8 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, Doolin-Dalton said:

Howdy all, if anyone is interested I'm selling my SPORT BAR.  This is OEM dealer installed from the 2019 Silverado 1500  "Off Road Appearance Package"    I am asking only $599.00 O.B.O    GM sells these for $900, and the Off Road Package is $2,495.  It is very simple installation, 15 mins or less.  I have added a few photos so you can see where and how the wiring hooks up.   All mounting hardware is included, which is the 6 Bolts and 2 Brackets.  Available for pick-up, or I can deliver it for FREE - anywhere within 100 miles of Fredericksburg, Virginia.    Please PM me if you'd like to buy it.  Can use your VISA/MC via PayPal. 

6.JPG

1.jpg

2.JPG

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

i realize how old this is but is it still available??

9 hours ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

sorry I sold it, seemed like it was sold in 2-3 days after I posted. Hot item....

Unfortunately they are. Can i ask you a few questions about it 

I really want obe but im yet to find directions. What i wanna know is how does it mount? From what i can tell in pics is it sits on top of the bed rail then has a L shaped bracket that attaches to the inner bed rail?

I know some people have made soft tonneau covers that attach inside the rails work. Can you advise? I have the gator soft. From what im thinking is i could put my inner rail over that small P bracket and make it fit fine still?

The legs of the sport bar that are closest to the back of the cab or back window, simply mount into the existing Stake Holes on the bed rail   However, the legs of the sport bar that are further back, about halfway point on the bed, these require drilling 2 holes, about 1/2 inch diameter each, on both sides of the Top Bed Rails, so 4 holes total - thru the plastic cover.  If you feel on the under side of your bed rails you should find these holes already there stamped into the metal part of your bed rail from the factory.  But you will have to drill thru the plastic cover on the top of the rail.  

The other thing, this Sport Bar will require you to go to the dealership to delete the Rear Top Mounted Brake Light on the top of your Cab, to render it inoperable.  Then you'll need to buy a wiring harness that connects to your fuse box and goes under the truck, to the Sport Bar.  The Sport Bar will be the new Rear Top Mounted Brake Light.   The Wiring Harness is $150.  The Labor for doing the wiring delete and installing to connect to your Sport Bar is $200-300.  The Sport Bar is $695.  So Long story short, this is a $1,000 "Option Package" and this almost no way around it.  Open your wallet.  

Now here is the part you didn't ask, and I sincerely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on the forum, but I just have to say -  It's not worth it.   I am so happy that I removed this from my truck.  I get that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some will love it and that's fine too.  I think the Sport Bar makes the truck into an SUV, just consider if that is the look you are tansitioning from Truck to SUV.  Some may want that, but I wanted a Truck.   I really really like the aesthetics without it. 

ol blue.jpg

Edited by Doolin-Dalton

3 minutes ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

The legs of the sport bar that are closest to the back of the cab or back window, simply mount into the existing Stake Holes on the bed rail   However, the legs of the sport bar that are further back, about halfway point on the bed, these require drilling 2 holes, about 1/2 inch diameter each, on both sides of the Top Bed Rails, so 4 holes total - thru the plastic cover.  If you feel on the under side of your bed rails you should find these holes already there stamped into the metal part of your bed rail from the factory.  But you will have to drill thru the plastic cover on the top of the rail.  

The other thing, this Sport Bar will require you to go to the dealership to delete the Rear Top Mounted Brake Light on the top of your Cab, to render it inoperable.  Then you'll need to buy a wiring harness that connects to your fuse box and goes under the truck, to the Sport Bar.  The Sport Bar will be the new Rear Top Mounted Brake Light.   The Wiring Harness is $150.  The Labor for doing the wiring delete and installing to connect to your Sport Bar is $200-300.  The Sport Bar is $695.  So Long story short, this is a $1,000 "Option Package" and this almost no way around it.  Open your wallet.  

Now here is the part you didn't ask, and I sincerely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on the forum, but I just have to say -  It's not worth it.   I am so happy that I removed this thing from my truck.  I get that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just didn't like it and for God's sake I don't think it is worth $1,000.  I think the Sport Bar makes the truck into an SUV.  Some may want that, but I wanted a Truck.   I really really like the aesthetics of the TRUCK without it. 

ol blue.jpg

I gotta say $1000 is absolutely not worth it... is the 3rd brake like inoperable really necessary though? 

Im looking at this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/233416568778 or https://www.ebay.com/itm/163698552778

I like the chevy one better but i think these look good and give it a different look. 

So my Original question from what i understand there isnt actually anything that mounts to the inside bed rail? 

9 minutes ago, Dersch said:

I gotta say $1000 is absolutely not worth it... is the 3rd brake like inoperable really necessary though? 

Im looking at this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/233416568778 or https://www.ebay.com/itm/163698552778

I like the chevy one better but i think these look good and give it a different look. 

So my Original question from what i understand there isnt actually anything that mounts to the inside bed rail? 

Yes, b/c the wiring harness for the Sport Bar goes from the Bar, under the truck, up into the engine bay and then connects under the Fuse Box, there is a slot for the Top Mounted Center Brake Light (TMCBL)  there.  I guess it might be possible to not deactivate the other one, but you might not pass inspection that way (b/c you'll have the red light behind the bar illuminating from your cab)  But either way, the dealer will charge $200 for the connection to the fuse box, they have to remove the top of it, and connect underneath.  

If you can get one that doesn't require all the drilling, wiring and delete of your TMCBL, then that might be the way to go.  

If I could have had the Trail Lights or Light Bar that mounts on top of the Sport Bar, I might have had different feelings about that, but I had researched it, and those were like another $750-900 at the Dealership, I wanted the kind you could illuminate the trail in front of you at night, and turn them on with the dash switch.  In the end I just decided to remove the rig.

Edited by Doolin-Dalton

7 minutes ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

Yes, b/c the wiring harness for the Sport Bar goes from the Bar, under the truck, up into the engine bay and then connects under the Fuse Box, there is a slot for the Top Mounted Center Brake Light (TMCBL)  there.  I guess it might be possible to not deactivate the other one, but you might not pass inspection that way (b/c you'll have the red light behind the bar illuminating from your cab)  But either way, the dealer will charge $200 for the connection to the fuse box, they have to remove the top of it, and connect underneath.  

If you can get one that doesn't require all the drilling, wiring and delete of your TMCBL, then that might be the way to go.  

If I could have had the Trail Lights or Light Bar that mounts on top of the Sport Bar, I might have had different feelings about that, but I had researched it, and those were like another $750-900 at the Dealership, I wanted the kind you could illuminate the trail in front of you at night, and turn them on with the dash switch.  In the end I just decided to remove the rig.

Yeah that makes sense for sure. For me i dont have inspections to pass so I wouldn't be paying for them to disconnect anything. In reality those sport bars arent tall enough for a practical forward facing light bar nor would I want one on top. 

For me id use it for the look and then use it to hook up an LED lightbar under neath to tie into the reverse lights. Id also consider some small leds on an independent switch for ground/ cab lights. Or figure out how to tie them into the cab lights that come on now. Id have to look into it. 

I don't mind drilling the plastic bed rail cap. However I won't drill metal. So thatll be a big deciding factor for me

@Doolin-Dalton

What tonneau cover do you have? The dealership tried telling me a $2400 GM Accessories one was the only tonneau cover that works with the sport bar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Transient said:

@Doolin-Dalton

What tonneau cover do you have? The dealership tried telling me a $2400 GM Accessories one was the only tonneau cover that works with the sport bar.

I believe its the gator srx rollup. 

From what you are saying though it should work since the gm sports bar mounts strictly up top and not on the inner rail. Cover may need some fannagling to get completely rolled up though. 

Imma keep my eye out for a used one or maybe splurge in a little while and buy a new one. 

If i did it id just hard wire the light bars harness into my trailer plug which runs my LED tailgate bar and aux. Led reverse pods

I'm getting the sport bar, but the dealer wanted to charge a really high rate for install. I've had some success with installing many GM accessories in my driveway. I think I'll give it a try, too. My truck should arrive in about a week. I was told similar for the sport bar. I'm going to Line-X the bed before attempting install.

• Like 1