Too much exhaust drone

I’ve been having some issues with the exhaust system I built for my 2015 Sierra 1500 5.3. There is way too much drone. I have TSP long tube headers with a catted y pipe going to a manual exhaust cutout, then some pipe, a flow master 50 series, more pipe, then turns out the side before the axle and sticks out maybe an inch past the quarter panel (all 3in pipe). The muffler could be moved foreword or back. Also I don’t have an exhaust tip. 

With the cutout closed it is not very loud at idle or on the throttle but when cruising it has a terrible drone. It’s very annoying. Because of this I’ve been leaving the cutout open all the time. With it open, it’s very loud and I have to watch it around cops but cruising on highway it isn’t annoying and it doesn’t have any drone cruising. 

I’d like to modify the system in two ways. I want to get rid of the drone and I want to switch to a louder muffler, probably a glass pack. The 50 series it way too mild for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Add a resonator, plain and simple.

I highly suggest the vibrant ultra quiet resonator. It should help a lot and will retain the WOT sound you want.

Switching to a more standard flow through muffler instead of a chambered muffler like the flowmasters will help too.

• Like 1

I’m a fan of Aero mufflers and resonators. You can get the resonators in a multitude of diameters and lengths, to make them any easy fit. A resonator will make more of a difference than you expect at a very reasonable cost. I don’t see much if any downside to small resonators on our daily driver trucks with performance modded exhaust.

I traded my 2010 with Magnaflow in because the drone drove me nuts. Now I just put on a CAI, you get the noise you want under load, but OEM-like quiet cruising. I will never do exhaust on a daily again for that reason. My 1998 before that had true dual, magnaflow glass packs and 18x4" side exit tips, sounded and looked so good. I miss that truck. A migraine after a 3hr drive is not fun with these new AFM/DFM systems with aftermarket exhaust. The resonator helps a lot with drone my 2010 didn't have one, I would just pull off your muffler and run a resonator if you want it louder but less drone.