Service at a different dealership

I posted this question in another sub forum and got no responses. Hope it does here. 

I have bought my last 3 trucks from the same dealership. Always got a good deal, I was happy with it at least. 

Today i got smokin deal from another dealer on a similar truck. The old dealer doesn’t have the same one in stock. They didn’t search for a similar one like the new dealer did. The new dealer is willing to bring it in from out of province at their expense. Agreed to every aspect if the bargaining I threw at them. 

The old dealer is very convenient for services for me.  

How owe are you treated at a dealer that you didn’t buy the vehicle from, but you bring it to them for service or warranty work?

18 minutes ago, HONDABBQ said:

I posted this question in another sub forum and got no responses. Hope it does here. 

I have bought my last 3 trucks from the same dealership. Always got a good deal, I was happy with it at least. 

Today i got smokin deal from another dealer on a similar truck. The old dealer doesn’t have the same one in stock. They didn’t search for a similar one like the new dealer did. The new dealer is willing to bring it in from out of province at their expense. Agreed to every aspect if the bargaining I threw at them. 

How owe are you treated at a dealer that you didn’t buy the vehicle from, but you bring it to them for service or warranty work?

They’re servicing at a profit. It doesn’t matter where you bought it. My work was out of town, I would routinely use different dealers for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

They’re servicing at a profit. It doesn’t matter where you bought it. My work was out of town, I would routinely use different dealers for service.

while I can speak for every dealer I do have 2 friends that are chevy service writers. Plus I have dealt with this personally. 

If you have 2 customer waiting to get in for warranty work and they need a loaner.  The customer who bought the truck from said dealer will typically be higher on the list if they bought the truck from the dealer. 

You can deny it all you want but its how it is. They aren't suppose to but a dealer will give priority to the purchasing customer. 

while I can speak for every dealer I do have 2 friends that are chevy service writers. Plus I have dealt with this personally. 

If you have 2 customer waiting to get in for warranty work and they need a loaner.  The customer who bought the truck from said dealer will typically be higher on the list if they bought the truck from the dealer. 
You can deny it all you want but its how it is. They aren't suppose to but a dealer will give priority to the purchasing customer. 

The simple and obvious answer would be. Simple service work go to the close one. Over night work go to the selling one. He did say he was a repeat buyer. They may go the extra mile to get him back. I bought 4 Hyundai’s and several GMCs at the same dealer. My last car is a Camry. They couldn’t come close on a Sonata. Ever since every time there’s a sale they send me discounts on their vehicles to win me back. When I take the wife’s Genesis in they treat me extra special. Funny thing tho Toyota does that and I only bought one from them.

The simple and obvious answer would be. Simple service work go to the close one. Over night work go to the selling one. He did say he was a repeat buyer. They may go the extra mile to get him back. I bought 4 Hyundai’s and several GMCs at the same dealer. My last car is a Camry. They couldn’t come close on a Sonata. Ever since every time there’s a sale they send me discounts on their vehicles to win me back. When I take the wife’s Genesis in they treat me extra special. Funny thing tho Toyota does that and I only bought one from them.

That’s cause you’re on their mailing list, I have to opt out every time I buy a new vehicle, from Nice Coffee cups, Cookie Dough, Nice Key Chains and Pens to Service Discounts etc etc etc.

Sent from Above

exactly. 

So no effort is made to win over new business? You don’t think people in the waiting room notice their order? Anything other than oil changes people usually just drop their ride off. Usually with a generic done by end of business response. Nobody’s ever ask me if I bought it there in my 40 years of driving. It’s too easy to look up. That would be a put off, and bad business.

That’s cause you’re on their mailing list, I have to opt out every time I buy a new vehicle, from Nice Coffee cups, Cookie Dough, Nice Key Chains and Pens to Service Discounts etc etc etc.

Sent from Above

I just came home from a trip yesterday. My selling Toyota dealership had a letter waiting for me. It had discounts far better than I got with the present Camry. A new Camry for 8$ more a month than my present payment. Two more years payments making it 4 years with matching warranty any free service. I have no desire to change. I’m that impressed with the current Camry. A first for me. Usually its two years and gone.

• Like 1

When it comes to warranty work( trust me you will have plenty of it) the dealer is typically losing out because warranty work pays like shit.  These trucks are having some issues where the truck will be at the dealer for more then just a day.  The service department could careless about " winning you over"  99% of the work done will be low paying warranty work until the truck is out of warranty.  Yes the will try and keep happy with smiles and updates but the fact is most dealer will pay priority to people who bought the truck from the dealer. 

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I just came home from a trip yesterday. My selling Toyota dealership had a letter waiting for me. It had discounts far better than I got with the present Camry. A new Camry for 8$ more a month than my present payment. Two more years payments making it 4 years with matching warranty any free service. I have no desire to change. I’m that impressed with the current Camry. A first for me. Usually its two years and gone.

Its a marketing ploy to get you to buy a car. They could careless about you haha. 

When it comes to warranty work( trust me you will have plenty of it) the dealer is typically losing out because warranty work pays like shit.  These trucks are having some issues where the truck will be at the dealer for more then just a day.  The service department could careless about " winning you over"  99% of the work done will be low paying warranty work until the truck is out of warranty.  Yes the will try and keep happy with smiles and updates but the fact is most dealer will pay priority to people who bought the truck from the dealer. 

That’s a toss up, though I somewhat agree with you, I’ve taken my vehicles to competitor dealerships and they bent over backwards to satisfy me and get me to switch over to them.

Sent from Above

56 minutes ago, Lsgun1 said:

Worked at numerous dealers and the first question when something came up was always "did they buy it here?". They will obviously work on the truck but like ct_corey said, you won't get priority.

I would think that this is bad business. I know there is some politics, as there is in everything these days. I am not a one off buyer, that changes his dealer every time they buy. I have been loyal and maybe, just maybe, they got complacent thinking it was a done deal. like I said I bought the last 3 trucks from this dealer, and I would think that they know they have to do more to get and keep me as a buyer knowing that in 3-4 years ill be buying new again. 

If I get treated like shit, or at least not at the same standard I have had in the past I will obviously know their integrity is below my standard. hence, I will just take all my work to the new dealer. All it will cost me is a courtesy shuttle ride that is about 10 minutes longer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HONDABBQ said:

I would think that this is bad business. I know there is some politics, as there is in everything these days. I am not a one off buyer, that changes his dealer every time they buy. I have been loyal and maybe, just maybe, they got complacent thinking it was a done deal. like I said I bought the last 3 trucks from this dealer, and I would think that they know they have to do more to get and keep me as a buyer knowing that in 3-4 years ill be buying new again. 

If I get treated like shit, or at least not at the same standard I have had in the past I will obviously know their integrity is below my standard. hence, I will just take all my work to the new dealer. All it will cost me is a courtesy shuttle ride that is about 10 minutes longer. 

Whatever makes you feel better bud.