2014-2018 Chevy Silverado's and GMC Sierra's have a problem with cycling of the thermostat that causes stress fractures on the radiator leading to coolant leaks.  Attached are GM bulletins on the 2014 and 2015 models.  As one can see they have provided special coverage on the 2014 models to 5 years or 100000 miles for this problem.(Bulletin 15829)  This is not true of the 2015 like mine although they use similar verbiage in the bulletin P11513A and P11513F.  This problem can also exist in 2016-18 models according to what a mechanic told me.  It should be noted that Bulletin P11513A and F also applies to 2015 Cadillac Escalade Models, 2015 Chevrolet  Suburban, Tahoe, 2015 GMC Sierra Denali, Yukon Models, Yukon Denali Models Equipped with 4.3L, 5.3L or 6.2L Engine (RPOs LV1, LV3, L83 or L86).

Anyone regardless of year and mileage with this problem needs to report this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) using the compliant form ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) or calling the hot line at 1-888-327-4236.  With enough complaints the NHTSA may force GM to issue a recall or provide extend coverage.  Even if you have had this repaired filling a compliant may get you reimbursed for your costs.  

Another option is to file a compliant with the Better Business Bureau.  They have a compliant form on line just type in BBB Car-Truck Compliant in your search engine.  It will not hurt to file a compliant with both the BBB and NHTSA.  Although If you are going to do this file with the BBB first as they will not accept your compliant if you file with the NHTSA first.

2015 Radiator PI1513A.pdf

2014 Radiator Special Coverage 15829.pdf

GM Bulletin P11513F January 2019.pdf

Edited by The Cowardins

Is there an updated radiator part number or a recommended aftermarket brand.

I live overseas and we have really poor warranty/after warranty service and I would like to replace the radiator as it is already leaking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, 14BFF said:

Is there an updated radiator part number or a recommended aftermarket brand.

I live overseas and we have really poor warranty/after warranty service and I would like to replace the radiator as it is already leaking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

GM Radiator Part Number 84207654 at least for my truck

Edited by The Cowardins

On 10/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, 14BFF said:

I

Another place to file a complaint is the Center for Auto Safety.  The Center for Auto Safety was founded in 1970 by Consumers Union and Ralph Nader as a consumer safety group to protect drivers.  This may be better than filing a complaint with the BBB.

Edited by The Cowardins

I recently had a sit down talk on my radiator leak (2015 Chevy) with the service manager at my local dealer.   I had a copy of special coverage adjustment 15829 radiator leak for the 2014 and service bulletin Pl1513F about the same problem on the 2015-16 models.  Went over each point by point plus a quote they gave me for the repair ($1319.43).  After we were done the service manager said that they would look into the matter. 

I did not think much would transpire after our talk, but the following day they said they would cover the repair under the power train warranty – so the precedent has been set for those of you with the same problem.  The truck has been repaired at no charge - FYI we had over 78,000 miles on the vehicle. 

Edited by The Cowardins
Update
  • Like 1

Ok, I brought my truck in for the brake recall today _ I had been having no problems, but they kept sending the notice. I had forgotten that a couple of years ago when they were doing the 8M triple flush, the GM tech had told me that when he was working on it that there was   radiator coolant smell and looked to be a very slight leak - so keep an eye on it. I forgot about is until it was written on my service write up today, that they did the brake recall, but noticed the engine oil cooler line has a slight leak and that the radiator was leaking and should be replaced. Mine is a 2015 Denali with a 6.2, which has Powertrain coverage for 5 years 100k miles and I only have 47k miles. They said that the Powertrain Warranty covered the engine oil cooler lines but not the radiator. I remembered seeing this thread, so I called GM and they said it is covered and then I printed the 1/2019  Pl1513F Bulletin and it reads that it is covered -so I called the dealer service department back and they said they would verify this and get back to me. So, have others had them cover the radiator etc. per this  bulletin?  

If so, thanks to the thread starter!! 

Edited by Glava2876

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, Glava2876 said:

Ok, I brought my truck in for the brake recall today _ I had been having no problems, but they kept sending the notice. I had forgotten that a couple of years ago when they were doing the 8M triple flush, the GM tech had told me that when he was working on it that there was   radiator coolant smell and looked to be a very slight leak - so keep an eye on it. I forgot about is until it was written on my service write up today, that they did the brake recall, but noticed the engine oil cooler line has a slight leak and that the radiator was leaking and should be replaced. Mine is a 2015 Denali with a 6.2, which has Powertrain coverage for 5 years 100k miles and I only have 47k miles. They said that the Powertrain Warranty covered the engine oil cooler lines but not the radiator. I remembered seeing this thread, so I called GM and they said it is covered and then I printed the 1/2019  Pl1513F Bulletin and it reads that it is covered -so I called the dealer service department back and they said they would verify this and get back to me. So, have others had them cover the radiator etc. per this  bulletin?  

If so, thanks to the thread starter!! 

See my post above yours - just had mine covered at no charge 78,000 miles plus

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this info. I filed a complaint with the NTSB. My 2014 Sierra 1500  w/86kis effected by this. The local dealership (AutoNation GMC) in Lakewood, CO quoted me $2900 for this job. I'm beyond pissed. To make matters worse, my A/C went out within the last couple months and apparently that's also a common issue on this platform.

In the past month, I've replaced my rotors/pads (for the second time), I'm on my 3rd battery,  and I just had to have a wheel bearing replaced. This truck is anything but professional grade.

Edited by streetracer101

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just informed I have a radiator leak on my 2018 5.3 Sierra. It only has 40k on it. Does anyone know if they’re are any extended warranties or recalls on this particular year? I see the bulletins for 14’ and 15’s but none for 18’s. 

• 1 year later...

Well I guess I'm part of the club now..... 50k miles on GMC 1500 and yup,  I have a Radiator leak. Small but noticeable.

It is clearly an issue. GMC has put out a notice on it and the 2014 GMC 1500 have a recall/fix on it. 

Unfortunately, the dealer say the 2015's aren't part of the fix.... "NOT ENOUGH COMPLAINTS"  really?

Pretty disappointed in GMC. Its a known problem and still are unwilling to fix it. 

I filed my Complaint with the  National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Hope other will follow.... this is an expensive fix.... Manufacturing defect. I'll attach some info for others

2014 RECALL NOTICE.pdf 2015 Radiator PI1513A.pdf

I have a 2018 that had the radiator leak as described in the TSB for the 2014s and 2015s dated January 2019. Took it to the dealer and they said they wouldn't cover it since it's not for the 2018 and my powertrain warranty only covers the water pump. Sales manager fiddled his words around to make it sound like he's "never heard this happen on a 2018 before." The mechanic also recommended I change my thermostat. Made a complaint to the NHTSA about this. Hopefully more people do so and GM might issue some of us our money back. The fact they don't consider a Radiator part of the Powertrain is ridiculous especially when you have to label this as "powertrain" under the NHTSA's complaint page.

Attached a picture of where the leak was on my old radiator.

Thought it was funny too when I asked for the old one, they had a stack of old radiators and a few of them looked almost the same as my old one, but he's "never heard of this happening on a 2018 before." Sure bud

42673008_BustedRadiator.thumb.JPG.ab2cb8943d85262a4828028224c969cf.JPG

Edited by SnakePlissken
Added NHSTA complaint

• 2 months later...

So I need to take my truck in for a number of recalls also. The radiator issue was identified when it was still under the powertrain warranty but the most recent bulliten hadn't been issued at that time. If I present the information politely as @The Cowardins did, what are the odds of getting it replaced for no charge on my 2015 with 69,000 miles?