Is it really that bad?

17 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

stay away from ZF product, thier brake are on the new trucks? holy shit , i say run from that crap. the ZF transmissions are junk also

What other brand do they manufacture for? It's a familiar name.

The ZF 8 speed is in just about everything. I’d argue it’s faired a lot better than GM’s 8 speed...no class action suit against it at least.

The IBC system is going to be in everything eventually. Better packaging, faster response in automated emergency stops, no problematic vacuum pump (subject to a recall on the “bulletproof“ K2s as we speak). There’s been growing pains, the T1 is the first vehicle to have it. Nothing wrong with taking a wait and see approach but I wouldn’t condemn it outright. Clearly GM has some confidence in the system or they wouldn’t be risking it in their cash cow.

I know it’s already been shaken out, but the 2019 L82 (AFM) and L84 (DFM) have more in common with each other than they do with the outgoing L83, hence the new RPO code. Wouldn’t consider the AFM motor a carryover.

• Like 1

ZF is in Chrysler, Dodge, Range rover Hondas, maybe Mercedes .  the low end models with lots of gears are a disaster.  anything 8-9 speed is trash and they knowingly sell junk, you wont see  ZF do recalls cause they just put a brand new POS tranny in and send you on your way.  hoping  it holds together til' warrantee is up. the worste software programming for transmissions, so I would be very leary of thier brake designs, shit aint even made by our engineers its all from Europe and germany.  screw driving a T1 truck

Edited by flyingfool

I’ve read a lot on here how bad the other brands are. Being one of only two Chevy owners in my family and business I haven’t seen problems with Food or Ram. Owned some myself. The only Chevy problem experienced was a 15 Suburban with seemingly unfixable electrical issues. Of course we’re not counting the early 350 diesel Chevys, the reason there’s only two Chevy owners left in my family. Interesting side note. According to a family member that owns a Ford diesel. There may be a VW like diesel problem getting ready to bite Ford in the as$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

stick with the reliable GM parts,  you want the 6.0 motor and the 6 speed trans. , both of which are not offered in T1 trucks.  those two components has bee n tried and tested for years, all the new parts are riddled with bugs . and are made in other countries with unknown software,  that isnt shared with our techs. 

I have a two chrysler products , radio went out under warrantee , and the parts are made in Turkey, and its not available anymore. brand new chrysler car with a dead radio. lol and will never buy another. Mercedes made them great, then Fiat , turned it into the mess  it is today

Edited by flyingfool

On 10/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, HONDABBQ said:

Just doing some more reading, it looks like a TSB was put out in August to tell the dealerships to change the tranny fluid from one to another. Looks like it fixed most of the issues but some are still having problems and may need the torque converter clutch replaced as well. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/

Cutoff TSB date for units receiving old fluid was 3/1/19.......check the body tag -  units 3/19 and later have the new Mobil 1 HD fluid already installed.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:56 AM, ct_corey said:

Its not so much the issues, its how GM is handling it. From simply just not fixing issues to their piss poor customer service.  ITs all good when you have a problem free truck. Once you start having issues is when the nightmare occurs.  This was my 3rd GM truck in a row, but will surely be my last.  

What do you think you'll buy next? 

• Like 1

I haven't owned many recent iterations of GM's full size truck, but have had plenty of their cars over the years, and they all suffered from buggy software, specifically transmission programming and Infotainment systems. Of all the issues, these have been common on all GM vehicles I've owned for the past 10 years. Frustrating that GM can't seem to figure these out. Although it sounds like they've got the transmission programming worked out with the 10-speed

Mechanically, however, I have had no major issues with any of them. They may not have been the most refined, or the quietest running, or the most fuel efficient, but they weren't the most expensive either, and always started when I turned the key.

Now if only GM could fix their software bugs...

• Like 1

I'm awfully glad I bought my new T1 O.P.

By far and away the best Silverado or truck or vehicle that I've ever owned period, lol.

Drives like a dream, gets over 22 mpg, - I could go on and on about what I like about it.

Good luck on the hunt.

• Like 1

Ya know, this thread reminds me of a couple encounters I've had over the last month. 

1. A guest Preacher and I were talking, he had a brand new 19 GMC, with about the same amount of miles mine had. He couldn't get over how much better the new one was, said it drove much better than his 2018, was faster and much better mpg. We both agreed it's best Silverado/Sierra  ever put out. 

2. I'm taking classes on the weekend to get my real estate license. I want something to do part time. At any rate, a guy in class has a new Dodge Ram, and I noticed he was having trouble parking it. I asked what the problem was and man oh man, this Ram was having major problems.  Transmission and other things. He said it's pretty much been in the dealership more than at his house. Hes seriously thinking about getting a lemon lawyer. 

I'm really not trying to boost anything here. It's just when ya see a thread like this, it kinda makes ya wanna share your own experiences. 

• Like 2

The fact is they are too computerized now, 80% of "issues" are "fixed" from a software update. It was not like this with the GMT900's they were just rock solid, everyday dependable. Now companies just toss in a ton of mediocre hardware so they can rush it to market and fix all the issues that arise down the road with software updates. Like computer programs, video games, cell phones, now our trucks have to be updated constantly instead of being designed to work for 25 years with no update nonsense. Will they still be offering software updates ten, fifteen years down the road for these trucks? Or will you have to sell it to a junkyard for $1,000 and pay, something like $107,500 for a new Silverado by 2030?

• Like 2

Well, the fact is also, is it is what it is.

No sense living in the past.

I've said before, that when I got this new one, the days of keeping one forever and, putting hundreds of thousands of miles on one are gone. Gone with the wind my friend. 

I've decided that I will keep her for 7 years and 100,000 miles and then shes gone ,- that's when the warranties will expire too.

And, I'm actually very, very, happy with this!

This 2019, with all its power and mpg, - heck, I'll be ready for another new one prolly long before 7 years, with how darn good they've done with the new T1.

That's just me though. 

P.S. 

Do I wish GM had free will and not have to obey whatever govt standards and, be able to build them without all the computer stuff, sure!

But, that just ain't reality anymore. 

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 2