Is it really that bad?

GM did a software update to make owners feel better. It was the cheapest option for GM. The brake issues will still continue. 

These new trucks have a very different braking system and they are failing on people. Then once they fail the truck sits at the dealer for over a month because they don't have enough parts available. This was even before the strike. Clear indication that a ton of people are having these issues. 

13 minutes ago, HONDABBQ said:

The big issue I was researching was the tranny issues. I want a new truck. I know they depreciate rapidly after new, but i also want the truck to hold some value in 3-4 years when I trade it back in for another. 

I  have had a few loaners due to the issues with my truck. The 8 speed is hit or miss.  But keep in mind, once you start having issues, getting them resolved is very difficult with GM. 

not sure but are T1 truck electronic brakes?  if so thats reason enough to not buy one.  k2xx was probably the best truck made all the issue are just about sorted out, I would rather buy a low milage 2018 truck than to deal with all the new bugs in a 2020

5 hours ago, ct_corey said:

No major functional complaints? What about people that randomly loose their brakes? Plenty of people on here with that issue. 

The issues with these trucks is one thing but have you read how terrible GM customer service is? Yes many issues aren't a big deal but tell me how you would feel when GM leaves you high and dry with no fix after you spend 45k on a truck.  

Haha.  First I have heard of that issue.  

7 hours ago, ct_corey said:

No major functional complaints? What about people that randomly loose their brakes? Plenty of people on here with that issue. 

The issues with these trucks is one thing but have you read how terrible GM customer service is? Yes many issues aren't a big deal but tell me how you would feel when GM leaves you high and dry with no fix after you spend 45k on a truck.  

I have had fairly good service on my last 3 GM trucks. And I havent paid for anything outside of regular services and fluid changes

The brake issue is not specific to the T1, and that's the main point of my comment. There has been intermittent issues around the brake system for many years now (15+ years).

In terms of customer service - what exactly have you experienced?

Edited by tanner709

14 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

I have had fairly good service on my last 3 GM trucks. And I havent paid for anything outside of regular services and fluid changes

The brake issue is not specific to the T1, and that's the main point of my comment. There has been intermittent issues around the brake system for many years now (15+ years).

In terms of customer service - what exactly have you experienced?

it is specific to the T1 because the braking system is COMPLETELY different then the K2 trucks. Any why would you mention the fact is has been an issue for 15 years and act like it isn't a big deal. 

Read the forums plenty of people have had issues dealing with GM direct. Just wait until you have issues. Their service is garbage. 

26 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

it is specific to the T1 because the braking system is COMPLETELY different then the K2 trucks. Any why would you mention the fact is has been an issue for 15 years and act like it isn't a big deal. 

Read the forums plenty of people have had issues dealing with GM direct. Just wait until you have issues. Their service is garbage. 

No doubt it is a concerning issue, if it actually is one. typically if a certain percentage experience the issue, it triggers investigation, and then the potential recalls happen. Are we at that point yet? I think things get handled fairly well.

Specific service departments handle issues better than others. Customers can be the problem with how things are handled sometimes too. We will hear a lot of bad on the forums, not always the good stories.

38 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

No doubt it is a concerning issue, if it actually is one. typically if a certain percentage experience the issue, it triggers investigation, and then the potential recalls happen. Are we at that point yet? I think things get handled fairly well.

Specific service departments handle issues better than others. Customers can be the problem with how things are handled sometimes too. We will hear a lot of bad on the forums, not always the good stories.

When I say GM I mean corporate. Most dealers I have dealt with have been decent, but their hand are tied because gm is the one who pays for warranty work and authorizes repairs. 

Handled well? read the threads. Some people have been without their vehicles for months at a time. GM leaves these people in the dark with no help. One guy drove his truck off the lot and it broke down before he even got home. GM wouldn't do anything to get him into another truck. Said truck has been at the dealer for over 30 days because they have a parts shortage on master cylinders. He tried filling a buy back so he could get into another truck. GM just doesn't call back and ignores him. If you read there are multiple stories on similar situations.  Or the people who have had the rear glass "resealed" a dozen times because GM wont authorize a replacement. 

Lets not forgot about the K2 trucks and their shaking problems that GM did nothing about.  The thread has thousands of posts. 

But gm handles it well...…...

Edited by ct_corey

The Ford forums are full of complaints about break issues, tranny problems (recommending to buy the older 6-speed trucks), and much more, including how bad Ford is to deal with and not admit problems, sounds familiar. Remember the Explorer rollover issues from 20 years ago, well I had one and what a dog that thing was before I finally traded it in for a Tahoe and got next to nothing for the Explorer because they had such a bad reputation, and I couldn't sell it to anyone. My point is that these type complaints, problems and issues are not unique to GM, Ford or most any other manufacturers. You mostly hear the complaints in the forums and not the praise, but my 2019 GMC Sierra Denali with 8-speed transmission has been the best truck I ever owned and much better than my mushy breaking 2014 Ford F-150 V8 with 6-speed transmission, so far, but only time will tell. I get great service at my GMC dealer including FREE oil, filter, lube and tire rotations for LIFE which they include with every vehicle sold, so much better than my Ford dealer. I don't know why I ever went back to Ford after my Explorer experience for which the "fix" from Ford was to give up to $400 credit towards new tires to replace the Firestones that came on it new. I fell for the "F-150 is the best selling truck for 4 decades" spill maybe. Second best vehicle I ever owned was my 2005 Tahoe SUV that I drove for 10 years and 200,000 miles with no major repairs before I sold it for well over Blue Book price. You do not want to hear about all of my other bad experiences with 2 different Ford vehicles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tanner709 said:

To be fair, you basically have a K2 2018 model mechanically with that custom trail boss. The K2 had it's share of issues but towards the end it became stone reliable. 

10 hours ago, batman900 said:

To be fair, you basically have a K2 2018 model mechanically with that custom trail boss. The K2 had it's share of issues but towards the end it became stone reliable. 

because it has the 6speed? it's still the newer engine, chassis, braking, suspension, electrical, interior/exterior, etc.

I prefer the 6speed honestly, mainly due to the reliability youve mentioned in the later years.

23 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

because it has the 6speed? it's still the newer engine, chassis, braking, suspension, electrical, interior/exterior, etc.

I prefer the 6speed honestly, mainly due to the reliability youve mentioned in the later years.

The 6 speed 5.3L trail boss custom still uses the older AFM instead of the newer DFM tech, the engine and trans are straight carry overs from the 2018 K2. I haven't looked a parts list but I'm suspect that it may also still use the vacuum boosted brakes instead of the new ZF brake by wire setup, not positive on that though.

1 hour ago, batman900 said:

The 6 speed 5.3L trail boss custom still uses the older AFM instead of the newer DFM tech, the engine and trans are straight carry overs from the 2018 K2. I haven't looked a parts list but I'm suspect that it may also still use the vacuum boosted brakes instead of the new ZF brake by wire setup, not positive on that though.

They do not. they have the same electric brake set up as every other T1 truck.