Is it really that bad?

I started coming here about 2 weeks ago when i was looking for information on a possible new purchase of a 2019 Sierra SLT. 

I read all these issues with the new 2019's and is it really any different that different than any other year? 

My 2015 All Terrain has been flawwless. Recalls of course, and one minor issue with the tire sensors but that was fixed on the lot when i drove in. 

I have never had an issue with any GM I have had and I trade in to new every 3-4 years. 

The deal I am offered currently with my trade is hard to pass up, just like the last trade in 4 years ago this January. 

So the base question still remains, is it really that bad with all of these current issues, based on previous years? 

Its not so much the issues, its how GM is handling it. From simply just not fixing issues to their piss poor customer service.  ITs all good when you have a problem free truck. Once you start having issues is when the nightmare occurs.  This was my 3rd GM truck in a row, but will surely be my last.  

• Like 1

I have a '19 Silverado with the 6.2 and other than some solved software oddities, nothing major, the truck has been flawless.  I do see a lot of complaints about the 8 speed transmission in the 19's so I would stay away from that.  And don't forget forums are mostly made up of people complaining.  Those w/o issues like me have little reason to post except questions about rims, etc.

• Like 4

Don't let the forum worry you. If your test drive is trouble-free, then go ahead and buy the truck.

There may be a few more bugs with the first year of a new model, but most issues are solved with a trip to the dealer for a free software upgrade.

Just doing some more reading, it looks like a TSB was put out in August to tell the dealerships to change the tranny fluid from one to another. Looks like it fixed most of the issues but some are still having problems and may need the torque converter clutch replaced as well. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/

Edited by HONDABBQ

I think Gm's recent "new" full size truck is more evolutionary than revolutionary. Some folks knock it for not being different enough, but why fix what isn't broke? This is probably good news from a reliability standpoint. Unless someone is opting for one of the new powertrains, there should not be many bugs.

13 hours ago, flyingfool said:

the Fullsized trucks are overweight 5500-6000lbs  depending on trim, other than this the driveline is bad ass! and easily upgrades with cheap performance parts.

The dump's scale put mine at 4800lbs, the identical trim wise 2018 I had, read just at 5000. And Tacoma is hot garbage, both me and another member here traded off our 2019 Taco for the same problems that couldn't be fixed. 

The issues with the T1 I would mostly call small and annoying with the exception of the brake assist going out, that one scares me and it's happened to a lot of people. Add to it that no parts are available to even fix it. 

Edit: The weights I posted were just for reference, I know you said depending on trim, it just surprised me when I saw the print outs from the scale.

Edited by batman900

Simply put, no.

What major concerning issues have you seen here in the forum, repeatedly? There are very few that are not opinion based issues.

I have 11k miles, not one issue outside of preference related things. Things like the backup cam and headlights both suck, tailgate plastic panel is a horrible idea, and no center console in the custom. 

As you'll see there's no major functional complaints bout the 19/20s

13 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

Simply put, no.

What major concerning issues have you seen here in the forum, repeatedly? There are very few that are not opinion based issues.

I have 11k miles, not one issue outside of preference related things. Things like the backup cam and headlights both suck, tailgate plastic panel is a horrible idea, and no center console in the custom. 

As you'll see there's no major functional complaints bout the 19/20s

No major functional complaints? What about people that randomly loose their brakes? Plenty of people on here with that issue. 

The issues with these trucks is one thing but have you read how terrible GM customer service is? Yes many issues aren't a big deal but tell me how you would feel when GM leaves you high and dry with no fix after you spend 45k on a truck.  

43 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

No major functional complaints? What about people that randomly loose their brakes? Plenty of people on here with that issue. 

The issues with these trucks is one thing but have you read how terrible GM customer service is? Yes many issues aren't a big deal but tell me how you would feel when GM leaves you high and dry with no fix after you spend 45k on a truck.  

The braking issues are nothing new with GM.  They just put out a recall for the previous generation and I believe all it was was a software update.  I have a hard time believing a software update will fix master cylinder issues.