Local dealership vs out of state dealer

4 hours ago, xcursion88 said:

Don't forget you don't pay sales tax immediately until you register in your home state. On a 50k truck that's 3 grand of tax...less

Until you get home and pay. 

Some people and perception gets all 

Foggy

That's true ONLY if you pay 100% of the truck up front. If you finance, they collect it then and there for whatever your state charges. 

We were charges NC sales tax. 

7 hours ago, ct_corey said:

that's true but when it comes to loaners and appointment availably the dealer will always pick a customer over someone who bought the truck out of state to save money. 

Behavior like that can get a dealer in trouble since your warranty is with GM, not the dealer. 

The dealer is an independent contractor that is not actually owned by GM. To do business with GM they sign contracts on what to do and not to do. Violating that can result in GM penalizing them. It happens. 

I live in Western KY. Local dealers are small and have a, “where else are you going to get it?”, attitude as if you can’t leave and buy elsewhere.

My ‘19, my wife’s Yukon, my FIL’s ‘19 Ram 1500, and my previous ‘11 Silverado were all purchased out of state 3 or more hours away because the cheaper price was worth the trip. 

Local dealer still had ‘18’s on their lot two months ago for more than I paid for my ‘19. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Behavior like that can get a dealer in trouble since your warranty is with GM, not the dealer. 

The dealer is an independent contractor that is not actually owned by GM. To do business with GM they sign contracts on what to do and not to do. Violating that can result in GM penalizing them. It happens. 

I live in Western KY. Local dealers are small and have a, “where else are you going to get it?”, attitude as if you can’t leave and buy elsewhere.

My ‘19, my wife’s Yukon, my FIL’s ‘19 Ram 1500, and my previous ‘11 Silverado were all purchased out of state 3 or more hours away because the cheaper price was worth the trip. 

Local dealer still had ‘18’s on their lot two months ago for more than I paid for my ‘19. 

That's great but we all know dealers don't play by the rules.  And who knows what the actual rules are when it comes to service and prioritizing customer repairs . But I can tell you this, if you have customer A and customer B both waiting to get there truck in for repair or service, most dealers will go the customer loyalty route and go with the customer who bought the car from the dealer.  I've seen this firsthand. 

Talking to a friend who works as a GM service writer, he's been telling me what a nightmare is has been working with GM. Customers Are getting fed up with GM not fixing there vehicles, and the service advisors are getting fed up with pissed off customers because they are the middle man in between the customer and GM.  Many times the advisors and managers will give more attention to a paying customer then to someone who bought the truck out of state to save a buck. 

9 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Clearly you have a negative view of the’19 plus trucks and GM as a whole. 

why are you hear again?

Sorry that your in denial about dealer practices.  

Pretty sure I belong here seeing that I own a 19, before that I had a 16 and before that a 12. I have had plenty of dealer experience and have also had to have my truck serviced at a different dealer then the truck was purchased from multiple times. Trust me many dealers will treat you different. Plus I have 2 friends that are GM service advisors and give me the scoop on a lot. 

Check the facts before you open your mouth...

Do be such a peasant. Its only a matter of time before your truck gives you a headache. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes sir. I and my other peasant friends will be quiet sir. Sorry sir. Didn’t mean to offend sir. Beggin’s ya pardins sir. 

20 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

Sorry that your in denial about dealer practices.  

Pretty sure I belong here seeing that I own a 19, before that I had a 16 and before that a 12. I have had plenty of dealer experience and have also had to have my truck serviced at a different dealer then the truck was purchased from multiple times. Trust me many dealers will treat you different. Plus I have 2 friends that are GM service advisors and give me the scoop on a lot. 

Check the facts before you open your mouth...

Do be such a peasant. Its only a matter of time before your truck gives you a headache. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

That's great but we all know dealers don't play by the rules.  And who knows what the actual rules are when it comes to service and prioritizing customer repairs . But I can tell you this, if you have customer A and customer B both waiting to get there truck in for repair or service, most dealers will go the customer loyalty route and go with the customer who bought the car from the dealer.  I've seen this firsthand. 

Talking to a friend who works as a GM service writer, he's been telling me what a nightmare is has been working with GM. Customers Are getting fed up with GM not fixing there vehicles, and the service advisors are getting fed up with pissed off customers because they are the middle man in between the customer and GM.  Many times the advisors and managers will give more attention to a paying customer then to someone who bought the truck out of state to save a buck. 

That is true, some dealers not all will push your repair to the back of the line if purchased from another dealer and take there vehicles they sold first to keep there customers happy.

Edited by Silverado4x4

5 hours ago, spizike9 said:

So it’s ethical to not only buy a vehicle from a dealer and let them make money off the purchase but then let hem make money on the warranty work. I’m fine with your point of view except where you pull the whole ethical card. That’s just stupid. 

Why is it stupid?  Customer loyalty goes a long way.  These shops are so busy that they are more in the business of making customers happy than making money on warranty.  

Leased my truck from 5 hours away.  Dealer beat any price by quite a bit from any local dealer. They paid off my remaining 4 months lease, drove new truck to my doorstep and drove my old lease return back.   I’ve had service and now dealing with leaking rear window and my local dealer is treating me just fine. Dealers don’t care I found out when you bring your truck in for warranty work,  GM is paying them to repair. More money for the dealer.  Just my two cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, oldmann said:

Why is it stupid?  Customer loyalty goes a long way.  These shops are so busy that they are more in the business of making customers happy than making money on warranty.  

I’m saying it’s stupid to say it’s ethical to buy from a local dealer. 

I always buy in State. One reason is I don't want holes in my front bumper, my State only uses a rear plate and surrounding States use two plates and all the cars on their lots have front plate holders. Front plates/brackets all look like $hit, compared to no plate and no holes, especially on my former Camaro, and no out of State dealer will remove and re-sheath the front bumper cover gratis.

Yes, dealers do give preference to their customers and more so to repeat customers! They'd be morons if they didn't. That's who pays their freight on the new sales portion of the dealership. I've bought 10 Chevys in the past 13 years for myself and family from the same dealer. Why? Because a really smart one like mine is fine with me visiting all the dealers in the quad state area first and getting the lowest price which he WILL price match on an equivalent priced one on his lot....sometimes if not an exact one offering is on the lot, sometimes for the same price a similar one with a higher MSRP already dedicated with additional GM dealer cash credited from a prior month's sales.

So yeah, I know all the salesmen and service personnel and they know me. In some instances I can get an accommodation like a same day or next day appointment for a problem, which I realize I would never be able to get from another dealer. Case in point was during this strike when my new Traverse shift lever "Shift to Park" crapped out and replacement was difficult or impossible to get. Instead of stuffing me in a Equinox loaner and saying "see you whenever" they dismantled the lever mechanism and reassembled and epoxied the damaged switch for continued use of my Traverse in the interim. This despite it being questionable whether GM would credit him for later warranty replacement of the epoxied, returned part after the new part was installed. And somehow he got the part despite the strike and four days later I'm rolling down the road with the replacement shift lever.

It honestly depends on the dealership, but those bad apples shafting people who didn’t buy from them are few and far between. Plenty of people move, have multiple homes, or go back and forth. They’re not deliberately not buying local, as their “local” is subject to change. Given all the folks from Upstate NY on this forum, the snowbird concept should be pretty familiar. Any sensible dealer isn’t going to risk jeopardizing future business from poor service. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, blckblt said:

I have been to 2 dealers 20 minutes apart (Chevy) and had a 200 a month difference in payment.  Same new truck (each dealership had the exact truck I wanted on their lot), same incentives, same trade.  Two weeks apart.  So the same vicinity is not always the same ballpark (I don't consider 200 a month in the same ballpark).

I also had a similar scenario with a Tundra.  Local dealer was almost 4k higher, so driving 80 min saved me noticeable money.  Local dealer would not budge...

I think a lot of this depends on your area.  If you have multiple high volume dealerships in your area then they are all motivated to sell.  In my area not so much.  Mostly smaller volume dealerships.

Guys... And gals... 

I promise you something else was at play there. 

200 a month difference and using a generalized 5 percent apr for let's say 60 months...you are looking at approximately 8k difference somewhere in there. 

Im not being malicious but it's funny to me when people think they know the car dealers and act like such. 

You are not comparing apples to apples. I promise you. 

Nobody is going to be off 8 thousand on a new car deal difference wise. 

Dealers will put differing amounts in trades but not to the tune of 8 grand difference.

They all use the same god damn auction sheets as their guide to peg a trade. 

Now what could have happened and seeks much likely to me is soneone quoted you a 48 month term vs a 72 month term... 

And the disconnect of your gigantic differebce per month lied right IN there.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, blckblt said:

In the example that I listed I was talking about GMC trucks, in my area there are a lot less GMC dealers than Chevy (with 2 of the GMC dealers being the same dealership.)

When the dealership said they couldn't find the truck I wanted I found it.  There were only 2 in the whole state with the options that I wanted.  He told me they swapped all the time and it wouldn't be a problem on the price.  

So for the other truck that had the options I wanted I went to that dealership and dealt with them directly.

I have no problem going to the next dealer until I find one that will treat me fairly, its just difficult when there is limited inventory.

GMC or Chevy... 

Neither one has some amazing hot commodity they feel the need to charge full tilt abd write up phony addendum stickers to up charge it. 

In other words a local to you dealer will find and get what you want. If they won't, move along.

Too many people often times go into these car dealers with dukes up and there's nothing whatsoever to be defensive about.