Local dealership vs out of state dealer

I'm a salesman at a small Chevy dealer in Maine (I'm 1 of 3 total salesmen). We travel up to 4 states away if absolutely necessary. I would go have a conversation with your local dealer to see if they are willing to work something out for you with the other dealer. If they wont, do what you gotta do, but I personally try to buy local, no matter what it is.

My only concern with doing any type of dealer swap is still being able to get a good deal after. 

My worst experience of this was when I had been dealing with a local GMC dealer (this dealer was 1 hour away) and they didn't have the truck I wanted.  I found the truck about 1 hour away from them (2 from me).  The sales guy said no problem we can do a dealer swap and agreed on price.

He got the truck, my wife and I drove to the dealership.  Test drive, they looked at my trade.  Everything was good.  

Sales manager came out and said no deal.  Full price and lowest trade value possible.  He said that the truck was a very desirable model with those options and he could sell at any time without any discounts.  I looked at my salesman and said WTF.  My salesman just put his head down and didn't say a word.  Never will go back.....  

My opinion tread carefully on dealer trades as they may be less inclined to come off full sticker as they know that is THE truck you want.

From a service stand point any dealership can/will do warranty work but if you bought it from the dealership you are having service done then they may treat you better.

On side note I am in Maine too.....

Before my local GMC Dealer closed they traded for a vehicle for me no problem at all.  With my newest truck I started with the closest dealer to me and the guy there was clearly not super interested in helping me and quoted me at $377 a month for a Custom level Silverado w/ 10k miles a year.  So I got ahold of a broker to look around for me, but we had issues finding a truck that I wanted, I was being a little picky.  I ended up finding a truck with everything I was looking for at a dealership an additional half hour away then the initial one I went to.  I walked out with an RST for $395 a month  w/ 12k miles a year.

I recommend trying your local dealer first, you can always have them put the price you agree to in writing before they trade for the vehicle.  If they don't work for you, try calling the dealership that has the vehicle.  I called the further one away from me first, and they were FAR more willing to help me out from the start then the first dealership I went to ever was.

31 minutes ago, SlowLNF said:

Before my local GMC Dealer closed they traded for a vehicle for me no problem at all.  With my newest truck I started with the closest dealer to me and the guy there was clearly not super interested in helping me and quoted me at $377 a month for a Custom level Silverado w/ 10k miles a year.  So I got ahold of a broker to look around for me, but we had issues finding a truck that I wanted, I was being a little picky.  I ended up finding a truck with everything I was looking for at a dealership an additional half hour away then the initial one I went to.  I walked out with an RST for $395 a month  w/ 12k miles a year.

I recommend trying your local dealer first, you can always have them put the price you agree to in writing before they trade for the vehicle.  If they don't work for you, try calling the dealership that has the vehicle.  I called the further one away from me first, and they were FAR more willing to help me out from the start then the first dealership I went to ever was.

Is this a lease by chance or did you purchase. I'm looking at leasing soon but, was wanting to compare prices. If it does not save me any money I'll just keep what i have.

To the OP. I'd check with your nearest dealer 1st to see if they will trade. I have had my last 3 trucks come from out of state on a dealer trade.

19 minutes ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Is this a lease by chance or did you purchase. I'm looking at leasing soon but, was wanting to compare prices. If it does not save me any money I'll just keep what i have.

To the OP. I'd check with your nearest dealer 1st to see if they will trade. I have had my last 3 trucks come from out of state on a dealer trade.

I did a lease as purchasing is currently not in my budget, but I need a truck to take over my dad's business that requires towing a sizeable trailer.  Near the end of this lease  I plan to lease another truck with more of the options I want with a plan to buy that at the end of the lease, or if my circumstances change enough within 3 years I will purchase at that time.  I stayed away from buying a used truck as we already have a 2007 Tahoe that requires occasional repairs and I didn't want to pay for repairs on a 2nd vehicle. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert Ng said:

Need some advice. I have found the truck I want. But. It’s several hundred miles away from me. Should I go to my local dealership and ask if they can get this out of state dealer to swap with them? Or should I contact the dealer myself And deal with them directly? 

How much would it cost for you to get to the other dealership and just drive the new truck home?

Have you talked price with the out of state dealer, or do you not care about the price because you want that truck so bad?

Honestly, I'd start by talking to your dealer first, they may even be able to locate an identical truck closer, or get it on their lot for you. But, as the other said, don't commit to anything until you have a price in writing.

One thing though, DO NOT contact the dealer with the vehicle you want and then go to another dealer to try to deal, the dealer with the vehicle will put a hold on it because someone inquired about it, you.  Also dealers can see how many days a vehicle has been sitting on a dealers lot and the longer its been there the greater chance that dealer will let it go.  My last 3 trucks were all dealer traded for. One was hard to get, dealer said he would let it go but dragged his feet for a week deciding what vehicle he wanted in trade.  I almost missed out on the incentives.

Edited by elcamino

2 hours ago, ct_corey said:

keep it local because the truck WILL be spending a lot of time at the dealer with issues. 

My 2016 LTZ has only been to the dealer three times.  Twice for a recall, which was nothing more than a software update each time, and once for adjusting the headlights.  Other than that, everything is original other than the tires, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter.  And everything works as advertised.

11 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

My 2016 LTZ has only been to the dealer three times.  Twice for a recall, which was nothing more than a software update each time, and once for adjusting the headlights.  Other than that, everything is original other than the tires, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter.  And everything works as advertised.

Different truck. That's not a 2019 

3 hours ago, ct_corey said:

keep it local because the truck WILL be spending a lot of time at the dealer with issues. 

What a worthless childish reply. I have had my truck for almost 10 months and I have yet had a problem with anything with it.

To the original poster stay local your dealership will locate (search) the vehicle you want and if another dealer has it they must give it up but your dealer will send them a comparable truck in trade its called DXing vehicles and as said DO NOT go to the dealer somewhere else and find that truck you want and if you do find one on another dealers lot DO NOT talk to anyone at that dealership you could write down the stock ID number ex- 19-12345 as long as no one sees you write it down or do it when the other dealership is closed.

10 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

I bought mine 5 hours out from home. Beat any deal I could get locally by about $8000 minimum. 

All GM dealers have to honor the warranty no matter where you bought it. 

that's true but when it comes to loaners and appointment availably the dealer will always pick a customer over someone who bought the truck out of state to save money. 

• Like 1