Advanced trailer towing package.

Does anyone know if you can add or has anyone added the Advanced Trailer Towing Package into their Silverado? I have a 2019 RST and I’m towing a 35ft Travel Trailer it would be nice to at least have the app installed on the infotainment system. When I bought the truck I didn’t think I would be towing a 35ft travel trailer, yet here I am. 

A 35 foot long trailer is 3/4 and one ton territory.  You'd better run the numbers very carefully before you tow something that big with a half ton.  I'd start with the trailering information sticker on the driver's door jamb.  I think you'll find that you'll exceed payload capacity considerably, just for starters.  My truck has the Max Trailering Package and I wouldn't even think about towing something that big with a half ton.

As for adding the advanced trailering package, that's something that needs to come with the truck.  It's built into the truck, so there are no plug and play options.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

A 35 foot long trailer is 3/4 and one ton territory.  You'd better run the numbers very carefully before you tow something that big with a half ton.  I'd start with the trailering information sticker on the driver's door jamb.  I think you'll find that you'll exceed payload capacity considerably, just for starters.  My truck has the Max Trailering Package and I wouldn't even think about towing something that big with a half ton.

As for adding the advanced trailering package, that's something that needs to come with the truck.  It's built into the truck, so there are no plug and play options.  

I can pull 9600 pounds max with my Silverado. My trailer dry weight is 6900. 

13 minutes ago, Cbrown7194 said:

To me for safety reasons,  pulling close to max  weight is ok I would guess other wise they wouldn't post it on the data sticker, but I wouldn't be towing it for long distances.  To many variables on the road that would effect control of the vehicle pulling it's max capacity.  Like stated above a 2500 would be better suited.  You have to look at braking and such and how the load is distributed.

Again, you can pull it but once you get everything in the trailer, how much more weight will it be close to the limit/over?

Just thinking of the safety of you and your family.

10 hours ago, Cbrown7194 said:

Tongue weight is the main issue.  My trailer is 6K loaded with an 800 tongue weight.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cbrown7194 said:

9600 is just an advertised MAXIMUM tow weight.  And that's based on the lightest no-option truck with a 150 lb driver.  My 2016 LTZ has an advertised max tow weight of 9100 lbs.  Gross Combined Weight Rating is 15,000 lbs.  Subtract 9100 from 15,000 means my truck can only weigh 5900 lbs in order to tow the full 9100 lbs.  In reality, my truck weighs 6300 lbs with just myself in it.  Loaded and ready to go camping I'm at 7000 lbs.  That means the actual amount I can tow is 8000 lbs, not 9100 lbs.  Anything higher and I'm exceeding my Gross Combined Weight Rating.  But as I stated in my original post, you're going to exceed your payload rating, to begin with.  I'm almost at max payload capacity with a 19 ft trailer.  Once you add up your weight, other family members weights, pets, and everything else in the cab and the bed plus your hitch weight plus your trailer tongue weight, you're going to be way over payload capacity.  And don't use the fairy tale unloaded hitch weight that's listed in the brochure.  Your actual tongue weight will be hundreds of pounds heavier once you add propane, batteries and everything else.  And if you don't believe me, the next time you go on a camping trip, go to a CAT scale and weigh your fully loaded truck and trailer together and then weigh your fully loaded truck separately.  Then you'll know the actual weights you are dealing with and you can match them up to the trailering information sticker on your driver's door jamb.  I think you'll be a little surprised.  

Edited by AlaskaErik
  • Like 3