Advice: is there something I can do?

14 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Perhaps because he doesn’t want to drive a 1 day old truck that sounds like a ticking shitbox?

I really don’t understand your lack of logic...

So it is more logical to take in a one day old truck for a lifter tick and let it sit for weeks as a target for dents and dings awaiting a part that may arrive who-knows-when. than to drive it a few hundred miles to see if the tick worsens, remains stable or disappears? If the car has been sitting for months could be a problem caused by oil drainback, air embolism that has to work out, a manufacturing bur that needs to wear in or surface rust from sitting in a humid environment. And just maybe a hundred miles or so would work the problem out - nothing lost, still under no cost warranty - and might just save the OP future aggravation with dealer personnel working tearing apart a new engine design with which they don't have much familiarity.

Running to the dealer immediately without driving for a few hundred miles for a tear down would be imprudent for a DFM V8 with individual oil control valves or an AFM V8 with more complex lifter oil manifold assembly with easy access to lifters through the "V" valley, but lifter replacement in a I4 DOHC setup requires removal of the cam shafts which is a major top and front end engine disassembly essentially ripping the heart out of Humpty Dumpty. So it is worth 2 hours time and a few gallons of gas to see if there is a real problem and not some transient issue.

I would’ve drove it. It’s has a warranty. I definitely wouldn’t want them tearing into it at this point. I let it come apart and get a new engine over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although having your truck would be nice. Unfortunately it sounds like the dealers hands are tied if they can't get the parts to fix your truck. A lemon is something that has not been fixed after several tries. You can't fix something if you don't have the parts. According to the latest article i saw the UAW and GM are not near an end at this time either.

I certainly wasn't a fan of driving a new vehicle with a loud tick, and I most certainly drove well over a hundred miles on it while it was ticking...and getting louder. We had a baseball tournament that Sunday more than an hour away. Then I worked Monday before taking it in. It was ticking the whole time, and getting louder like I said. Guess next time I hear a noise I'll turn the radio up....

9 hours ago, ct_corey said:

Your going to be real upset when they replace all the lifters and the truck still ticks. Happened to a few of the V8 Guys. 

The new trucks have lifter issues across the board with no sign of a proper fix. 

.02  Just maybe the problem is not in the collapsible AFM/DFM design lifters which have been in use since '07, but in the new oil control valve arrangement. 

When I changed the oil/filter at 1K I had an engine tick on startup which lasted almost a minute which would be indicative of an oil feed problem. Hasn't reappeared so I figured there was caused by a temporary drainback or air embolism associated with the filter change. Next time I'll prefill the filter with oil to see if it reoccurs.

The new I4 AFM and V8 DFM engine do not use the former AFM V8's LOMA manifold, the I4 AFM using some totally new arrangement and V8 DFM eliminating the LOMA altogether and going to independent direct oil control control valves.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11880