Love my truck...hate how we have been treated

On 10/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, mandycane31 said:

Recently bought 2019 Chevy truck and we are loving it.....unfortunately we cant drive it because our temp tags have expired and the dealership is telling us we need to give them more money before they can give us our tags!!  Has anyone had this issue?  Six weeks after buying our new truck the dealership called telling us we owe them $1600 because they figured our paperwork wrong. I told them they made the mistake and we arent paying any more. After looking over our paperwork we discovered that we paid a different price on our paperwork than they had told us they were selling us the truck for, by like $3000 more!!! Now they want us to pay more after we apparently already paid $3000 more than we were quoted to begin with! I have called the sales manager to get to the bottom of this and spoke with him one time, he said he would find out what happened and call me back. This has been two weeks ago and cant get in touch with him or get a returned phone call. In the meantime, I have been to the tax office and they told me they have no record of the trucks paperwork being filed with them by the dealership and they cant help me. So we have a new truck that we cant drive and cant get any help from anyone. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Im at a loss as to what to do from here. 

If you have a sales receipt, take it to the DMV and get your own tags.  If you don't have a sales receipt,  go do some fun off-road adventures this weekend and then take the truck back.  Give it back to them, you can probably find another, better, square honest deal some where else. 

Seems it all depends on the write-up of the bill and what the discrepancies are. Dealers register cars out of State as a courtesy, many do not. If the problem was in the agreed upon price for the vehicle and provided in the written estimate of the agreed sales price listing taxes and tags before the contract was written, it is on the dealer. If the discrepancy was in the tax portion or failure to tax the rebate as cash as done in many States, it is on the buyer. The tax burden is the buyer's not the dealer burden. It is up to the buyer to know the tax laws of his State. Doubt a lawyer can help if the first payment indicated acceptance and validated the contract.

After the dealer registers my vehicles I always get a few bucks back because they always err on the side of assuming that the DMV won't credit back existing time on the old plates.....if they do then the dealer cuts me a check. Bought one vehicle in MD and they collected 6% tax plus registration, same as WV sales tax not realizing at that time in WV it was 6% on general sales but only 5% on new vehicles and after registration they refunded the 1%.

Either way the buyer always has the option of getting the Certificate from Origin from the dealer (can't register on sales paperwork without a CO which is necessary for titling) and registering the car in his own State and pay whatever taxes apply.

On 10/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, mandycane31 said:

We financed the TT&L in with truck. They charged us for it, but now say they havent charged enough and we owe them $1600 more before they can give us the permanent tags. The revenue office says they have no record of the vehicle in their system. Damn straight something doesnt add up!!!   

Exactly.  You paid for tag and title fee already.

It's the dealers responsibility to get the new tag to you. I live in NC and bought my Silverado in Bristol, TN and did the same thing you did. As a matter of fact we had to unless paying in cash.

So, in about 2 weeks the tag came. 

I couldn't have took care of the tags and tax if I had wanted too. - Unless I bought the vehicle with cash- all of it. 

Your dealer should have to eat that imo. That's a huge screw up or a huge con.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

Exactly.  You paid for tag and title fee already.

It's the dealers responsibility to get the new tag to you. I live in NC and bought my Silverado in Bristol, TN and did the same thing you did. As a matter of fact we had to unless paying in cash.

So, in about 2 weeks the tag came. 

I couldn't have took care of the tags and tax if I had wanted too. - Unless I bought the vehicle with cash- all of it. 

Your dealer should have to eat that imo. That's a huge screw up or a huge con.

Thank you!! That's exactly how I feel! 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, mandycane31 said:

We financed the TT&L in with truck. They charged us for it, but now say they havent charged enough and we owe them $1600 more before they can give us the permanent tags. The revenue office says they have no record of the vehicle in their system. Damn straight something doesnt add up!!!   

You are making more out of this than you need to.

How much was the total taxable purchase of the vehicle not including tax, title and tags? This is the amount that you are charged sales tax on in your State.

Now, what is the percentage rate of your LOCAL sales taxe on new vehicles?

Multiply the total taxable amount buy your LOCAL sales tax percentage. 

If the answer is higher than what you paid the Dealership in taxes only, then you owe the difference, period, end of story.

There is no way around this. Been there, done that. You owe your State the tax due before you can submit the paperwork for tags and title.

Until he posts the numbers. You can not say for sure that he already paid the correct amount. As I posted before. Been there done that. The Dealership may have not collected the correct percentage of tax for his State and County. It happens all the time. I had it happen to me. The Dealership did not charge according to what my State charged. Even after telling them the correct amount. My temp tag expired. So the solution was simple. They FedExd me a new temp tag and and a check for the tax and tags they collected from me at the time of sale. I took that check to my Notary and paid the difference. I had my State registration and Plate sent to me before the out of State temp tag expired. 

They can send him a new out of State temp tag. They can refund him the amount he paid so he can pay his State the correct amount. Again, not a big deal.

7 hours ago, bullet3z said:

Until he posts the numbers. You can not say for sure that he already paid the correct amount. As I posted before. Been there done that. The Dealership may have not collected the correct percentage of tax for his State and County. It happens all the time. I had it happen to me. The Dealership did not charge according to what my State charged. Even after telling them the correct amount. My temp tag expired. So the solution was simple. They FedExd me a new temp tag and and a check for the tax and tags they collected from me at the time of sale. I took that check to my Notary and paid the difference. I had my State registration and Plate sent to me before the out of State temp tag expired. 

They can send him a new out of State temp tag. They can refund him the amount he paid so he can pay his State the correct amount. Again, not a big deal.

I hear ya. I really do.

But, what about the extra $3,000 they charged them before any tax tag and title fee were calculated?

Dealerships are also known to shit people too unfortunately. 

Now, that's the buyer's fault on the $3,000 more than agreed on sale price, they should've looked over the final sale price before signing. 

This whole thing just stinks. 

If the $3,000 initial overcharge wasnt mentioned then I would prolly be like you and say it was a mistake and the tag tax and title have to be paid. 

I live in NY and bought a truck in NJ and the dealer took care of all the dmv and tags. All i had to was stop by and pickup my plates. Sounds like the dealer screwed up and they want you to pay. Total BS