New Denali or Ram Longhorn???

shadysneed

8 hours ago, JD214 said:

I owned a RAM limited 2019 Brand New.  Was my dream truck Got out of it nd got into my 19 Silverado and haven't looked back.  Interior of the RAM is INCREDIBLE. Its the NICEST in any truck by a million miles.  Problem is the functionality is far from the nicest. The 12 has issues the app for the phone is useless. They use Guardian that is through Siiruus XM and they are bad enough to have to deal with for the Radio. IT doesn't have any of the info available like my chevy has with gas and air pressure and things like that in my phone.  My wife always forgets to tell me she needs gas or whatever and I can check very easy as well as checking tire pressure.  The RAM has none of that for the 12".  

I hd too many issues with my RAM the main one was AC performance was as bad as it gets for a modern vehicle.  Id suggest going 2020 GM they now have the Adaptive cruise and the interior may not be as nice but it works.  I haven't had an issue one with my Silverado.  

That's good to know. I've read about and know people who have the ram. They all complain about the A/C, doors not lining up, tailgate not shutting right, truck sometimes not shifting out of gear, squeaky brakes. I'm just afraid if I get one, I'll have the same issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadysneed said:

That's good to know. I've read about and know people who have the ram. They all complain about the A/C, doors not lining up, tailgate not shutting right, truck sometimes not shifting out of gear, squeaky brakes. I'm just afraid if I get one, I'll have the same issues. 

I know all vehicles can and will have problems I just had too many.  Im not the kind of guy that expects the impossible but I had the clunk, I had insane electrical issues I had AC issues, I had rattles, water leakage from a grommet not being installed on a build date of June when they knew about that in January, I had radio issues, app issues, I had it slam the brakes on me while driving in a  open street, I had it shut completely off, I had steering rack issues where it wouldn't return to center, I had it in the shop for a month straight to only pick it up and it go right back.  

So yes we all own vehicles that can be subject to having issues.  Every brand has a service department at or beyond capacity.  I just didn't expect it with my RAM as my 2013 was perfect  I had 100k miles trouble free on that truck. literally change the oil rotate tires and replace them.  I could have driven that truck another 100k and I wish I would have listened to my wife.  One because she was right and two now she can tell me she was.  I let my judgement get blinded by the absolute beauty that RAM has built.  Ram just isn't listening.  I don't see them fixing the issues they have and if they were then I wouldn't be reading about 2020 owners with the exact same issues.   wouldn't be reading about the HD trucks having AC issues.   

Price is not relevant to what you should get. I hate it when people say my 70k$ truck shouldn't have these issues because I think that we all regardless of price should have few if any issue. So far my Chevy experience is very good.  I didn't see enough of a difference to make a jump to a high trim in the GM lineup.  I was at the fair last night and was looking at the high country and the interior is IDENTICAL to my LT except leather.  I dont think leather is enough to justify 60k plus.  

IF I were you I would Rent a RAM on Turo or something for a few days and see what you think.  I can only speak to MY experience.  There are many owners happy with their trucks.  I only go into depth to show If I am biased I was actually biased towards RAM from my 7 years of happy ownership.  

Good luck with whatever decision you make and let us know. 

• Like 3

Keep in mind, there is a HUGE confirmation bias on a forum like this in terms of issues. Between GM, Ford, and FCA, around 2.5M trucks are sold every year. If 20 people comment about how their X or Y did this or that, it's statistically insignificant. 20 lemons out of 2.5M is less than a drop in the bucket. 1 bad F-150 does not mean 1M bad F150s, for example.

That being said, there are plenty of tangible differences. Rams A/C does not perform as well as GM, however the interiors are better. Ram has a much better 8-speed transmission, although this probably isn't a concern with the Denali (6.2/10A). Personally, I don't love sweating, so I'd trade a little leather and wood for superior A/C performance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JD214 said:

I know all vehicles can and will have problems I just had too many.  Im not the kind of guy that expects the impossible but I had the clunk, I had insane electrical issues I had AC issues, I had rattles, water leakage from a grommet not being installed on a build date of June when they knew about that in January, I had radio issues, app issues, I had it slam the brakes on me while driving in a  open street, I had it shut completely off, I had steering rack issues where it wouldn't return to center, I had it in the shop for a month straight to only pick it up and it go right back.  

So yes we all own vehicles that can be subject to having issues.  Every brand has a service department at or beyond capacity.  I just didn't expect it with my RAM as my 2013 was perfect  I had 100k miles trouble free on that truck. literally change the oil rotate tires and replace them.  I could have driven that truck another 100k and I wish I would have listened to my wife.  One because she was right and two now she can tell me she was.  I let my judgement get blinded by the absolute beauty that RAM has built.  Ram just isn't listening.  I don't see them fixing the issues they have and if they were then I wouldn't be reading about 2020 owners with the exact same issues.   wouldn't be reading about the HD trucks having AC issues.   

Price is not relevant to what you should get. I hate it when people say my 70k$ truck shouldn't have these issues because I think that we all regardless of price should have few if any issue. So far my Chevy experience is very good.  I didn't see enough of a difference to make a jump to a high trim in the GM lineup.  I was at the fair last night and was looking at the high country and the interior is IDENTICAL to my LT except leather.  I dont think leather is enough to justify 60k plus.  

IF I were you I would Rent a RAM on Turo or something for a few days and see what you think.  I can only speak to MY experience.  There are many owners happy with their trucks.  I only go into depth to show If I am biased I was actually biased towards RAM from my 7 years of happy ownership.  

Good luck with whatever decision you make and let us know. 

Thanks for the insight. Your experience is just the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. My 2017 Denali and I have a love/hate relationship. It was a shaker for almost 2 years, until I finally figured out on my own what the issues were. I had a few other small things that had to be fixed but I still love it. I'm pretty confident I'll end up in another Denali, just picking people's brains as to their experiences with both trucks. 

My heart is telling me the ram looks awesome and I should give it a try. My brain is telling me hell no, don't do it!

Thanks for the insight. Your experience is just the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. My 2017 Denali and I have a love/hate relationship. It was a shaker for almost 2 years, until I finally figured out on my own what the issues were. I had a few other small things that had to be fixed but I still love it. I'm pretty confident I'll end up in another Denali, just picking people's brains as to their experiences with both trucks. 
My heart is telling me the ram looks awesome and I should give it a try. My brain is telling me hell no, don't do it!

Curious what you did to fix your vibration?

I’m having an internal dilemma right now because my truck is paid off, but has the vibration which is why I would be trading it. Don’t really want to give GM more of my money after these issues but damnit if it isn’t the best truck out there in my opinion right now. Seems the issue is fixed on the 19’s and have worked a deal for $15k off sticker and a good amount for my trade.

That being said if I can fix my vibration I’d much rather keep a paid off truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/3/2019 at 12:14 AM, brendon444 said:

19 speaker Harmon Kardon system and rear centre console would be nice but not required. I like the idea of customising the display but I might want to see more than 4 things. Other than that, I'm not seeing anything in the Ram that appeals to me.

Sounds like his main complaint about the Denali is that the materials aren't nice enough, which, having driven or ridden in cheap vehicles all my life I couldn't give less of a shit about. If I want to sit on something cushy and listen to nice speakers, well, that's what the man cave in the basement is for.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hotrodz37 said:

Curious what you did to fix your vibration?

I’m having an internal dilemma right now because my truck is paid off, but has the vibration which is why I would be trading it. Don’t really want to give GM more of my money after these issues but damnit if it isn’t the best truck out there in my opinion right now. Seems the issue is fixed on the 19’s and have worked a deal for $15k off sticker and a good amount for my trade.

That being said if I can fix my vibration I’d much rather keep a paid off truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 6 trips back and forth to 4 different dealers in a 2 year period, I decided to have Firestone replace all for 22 inch tires with the exact factory match, without road force balancing. I also had the driveshaft rebalanced. This bitch has been smooth as silk every since.

Prior to having it finally fixed, I did go after GM. But we settled out of court. They are a descent company to work with in regards to repairs. It's the damn idiot service managers that are a huge part of the problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

19 speaker Harmon Kardon system and rear centre console would be nice but not required. I like the idea of customising the display but I might want to see more than 4 things. Other than that, I'm not seeing anything in the Ram that appeals to me.

Sounds like his main complaint about the Denali is that the materials aren't nice enough, which, having driven or ridden in cheap vehicles all my life I couldn't give less of a shit about. If I want to sit on something cushy and listen to nice speakers, well, that's what the man cave in the basement is for.

People who drive Denali's do care about this. If not they would opt for the sle trims. 

I don't buy the nicest gm trim to be to have cheap plastics and no tech and be the highest priced. Lucky I'm very gm loyal and love the engines. 

• Like 1

I had a 2016 Ram 1500 sport that I traded in for a 2019 Ram 1500 sport. Big mistake. 3 months of ownership i had 5 different issues. Loud metallic clunk on start up, rough idle which would stall the truck, multiple recalls, truck wouldnt detect the fob so i couldnt get in the truck and when i could, wouldnt start.  Traded it in for a 2019 Sierra AT4, no regrets. Dont go with the new ram

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

I had a 2016 Ram 1500 sport that I traded in for a 2019 Ram 1500 sport. Big mistake. 3 months of ownership i had 5 different issues. Loud metallic clunk on start up, rough idle which would stall the truck, multiple recalls, truck wouldnt detect the fob so i couldnt get in the truck and when i could, wouldnt start.  Traded it in for a 2019 Sierra AT4, no regrets. Dont go with the new ram

That sucks...I've heard about all the issues you listed. That would definitely piss me right the f*ck off.

I'd give Ram a try.....GM's quality has been going downhill every year.  The materials are cheaper.  They're just junk.  Ancient technology. Worst interiors out there. How do you feel about GM's corporate philosophy?  That may/should have some influence about where you want to spend your money.  My next truck will be a Ram.