Third brake light bed lighting bulb replacement

Jricharc

So I bought a Z71 RST Saturday and did a full walk around before leaving the dealership.  However after using the bed lighting in the dark I noticed one of my LED lights is out, I was just going to replace myself but I searched here and saw that the headliner needs to be dropped.  Should I go through the hassle and have them replace it, I mean it's minor but still sucks its out.

Most LED failures are not the LED, it is the junction or a connection up stream.  From what I have heard these headliner are not fun to pull down.  I'd rather have the dealer break it then me.  I'd take it back, they should give you a vehicle to use while yours in in the shop.  Sucky part is with this strike some parts are taking longer to get to the dealers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jricharc said:

So I bought a Z71 RST Saturday and did a full walk around before leaving the dealership.  However after using the bed lighting in the dark I noticed one of my LED lights is out, I was just going to replace myself but I searched here and saw that the headliner needs to be dropped.  Should I go through the hassle and have them replace it, I mean it's minor but still sucks its out.

Warranty.  I wouldn't touch it.  Won't be a bulb either, its gonna get a whole new lamp assembly. 

1 hour ago, Jricharc said:

A lot of parts and steps  went into the building of your truck.  It is common to find flaws shortly after purchase which is why warranties are in place.   I don't automatically assume anymore that the bulb is at fault when a light quits working.  A signal light failed on my truck shortly after purchase and I promptly returned to the dealer.  I knew it could of been a result of another electrical issue and didn't want to make a warranty claim for something I attempted to fix.  Gone are the days when the man filling you tank replaces a burned out bulb after checking your oil, adding (free) air to your tires and cleaning your windows!

As said above, if it’s the lamp that’s faulty, you don’t want to be spending $300 of your own money when it’s under warranty. That’s what you paid for - let them do it. Be prepared to wait a bit for the parts to come in until this UAW strike is over.

.02 Probably a bad solder joint on one of the LEDs. Had the same problem on my '13 Avalanche and had them replace the whole bar assembly.

I'd go for replacement because if the problem is on the circuit board holding the LEDs, others may go out in time. Anything they screw up they will have to fix...worth the gamble.